The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaufman
he... lost 20 puonds as he was instructed to.
Did you see the man at the end of the season? He took up the space between the batter's boxes. Talk about a wide body. 20 pounds? That would be impressive if it were the last 20 of the 120 he should lose.

Unless you're blind you had to see how slowly he waddled this year compared to even five years ago.

Quote:
as for him not losing enough for his behavior a few years ago, how should have he been punished? him and cathy were/are very good friends. they both called eachother derogatory names throughout their long careers together (they both came through the nl), and the conversation was accisdently overheard in a conversation with his wife.
him and cathy?

From reading your periodic posts over the past few months I get the impression you conisder yourself an "insider." Most insiders get the facts straight.

From USA Today: "Three league officials told USA Today that they overheard a phone message in which the 33-year MLB veteran referred to Davis as a "stupid Jew *****."

Here's another gem: "Froemming was also fined in 1996 for going into the Los Angeles Dodgers' clubhouse before a game in New York against the Mets to get Mike Piazza's autograph. Froemming told Piazza that catcher Johnny Bench refused to sign baseballs for him once and proceeded to go 0 for 4 that day with three strikeouts."

I agree with Garth. Bruce was once a good umpire, but he hasn't been recently and he should be more than happy with the accolades he received at the conclusion of his career.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Your posts would be a lot easier to read, and lot more tolerable, if you could at least write them halfway correctly (all lower case? all one paragraph? ). They're exceedingly difficult, even in the grammar-careless Internet world.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaufman
i said nothing about the fact that what bruce said was okay
What? What?

"the fact that what Bruce said was okay?" Calling Davis a "stupid Jew ***** was okay?

It makes sense now. I can see why you sniff Froemming's jock. You think it's a fact that what he said was okay.

Congratulations. You're the first on my ignore list.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

MrUmp, you're misreading his post. He didn't say Bruce's comments were okay. The manner in which he wrote it does, however, appear to be a bit confusing.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
MrUmp, you're misreading his post. He didn't say Bruce's comments were okay. The manner in which he wrote it does, however, appear to be a bit confusing.
I've had "TKaufman" on my ignore list for a while but had to go see what the fuss was about.

You may be right. He may be dumb enough to write the opposite of what he meant, but the wording sure could be taken for his belief that Bruce did nothing wrong.

If he meant to write "I didn't say that what Bruce said was okay" he sure missed the mark with "i said nothing about the fact that what bruce said was okay"

The fact that what Bruce said was okay....hmmmmm. Hard call. That's one problem with the internet. We really don't know the character of some of these folks.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

People criticize your grammar not because it's supposed to be flawless; rather, because it makes it difficult to read and difficult to understand, the latter being quite important.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 11:23am

I never hear anyone criticize briancurtain or bobbybanaduck for typing in all toggle case letters. Their posts are equally unreadable. I think it has more to do with disagreeing with the content of his posts.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I'm not one who is disagreeing with his posts, so that's not an issue with me. There are degrees of poor grammar, of course. Grammar that is poor enough to make something difficult to read is one thing, but when it makes a post truly difficult to comprehend, it becomes more than just an annoyance.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=SanDiegoSteve]Are you going to "know when to quit?" It's hard to let go, believe me.

MLB umpires make a good living so perhaps umpires at that level "hang on" because of the money and prestige.

At Bruce's age where is going to go to earn the kind of money he is getting from MLB. Obviously I do not know Bruce's financial issues, but it could be one of the reasons he "hung around' for all these years.

As for me I am looking forward to the day when I can call it quits. Right now with kids still to support the money comes in mighty handy, however, one's life is basically umpiring especially in summer ball where I am umpiring 6/7 days a week with a minimum of a double dip every Friday night/ Sat / Sunday

Each person will have to answer that question at some point in their life and the reasons vary.

Pete Booth
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

MLB Umpires' severance package and pension income is quite generous, Pete, so Bruce would have to be in one big financial bind to have wanted to hang on for $$$ reasons. Plus, he was making over $300K/year anyway due to his seniority and longevity.