The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 23, 2002, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Has anyone seen Bruce Benedict work in person?
He is the former catcher for Atlanta Braves (retired 1989--I looked it up).
So, was he a basketball ref while still playing at the major league level?
Yes, he has put in at least 12 years since his retirement. But is his assignment political or based upon his ability?
I did not see the Duke game so I cannot judge based upon that one game.
Just asking!
Old Sat Mar 23, 2002, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Tim Clougherty, a friend of mine, works with Bruce in the Atlantic Sun Conference. He told me earlier this season that Bruce is an excellent official. Preivously, he's been a coach, so he had to give up his college schedule when spring training started. But now he's an advance scout, so he doesn't have to attend spring training. I don't know for sure if he officiated prior to retiring, but I don't think so. But from what I've seen he is a fine official.

Such quick advancement is not unusual. Joe DeRosa, an NBA official, worked HS ball for only three years before getting a D1 college schedule. He worked just another 2 before being picked up by the NBA.
Old Sat Mar 23, 2002, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Heck, Ted Valentine worked a year of HS ball before starting D-I, if I remember correctly. I think there might have been at least one ref who had a D-I schedule before a varsity HS one.

About Bruce Benedict, I've heard lots of talk about using politics to move up - while knowing people can be a huge advantage at some times, a blind guy who can't blow a whistle but who has friends is not going to become a D-I ref!!
Old Sun Mar 24, 2002, 02:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb SURPRISE!!!!!

This is called life. I do not know too many professions or things that people move up faster because they know the right person. Officiating is no exception.

There was a D1 NCAA Tournament official that did a game with two of his suns. One was 27 and the other was 31. Do you think they moved up on merit? Now I am sure that they got some tips and some help that their dad gave them just like any father or mother that has a child and passes down some technics or tidbits that you learn much easier than spending years on that profession by yourself.

So he knew somebody, if any of us knew someone in the right place, we would take advantage of it. At least I would.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 24, 2002, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Re: SURPRISE!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
There was a D1 NCAA Tournament official that did a game with two of his suns. One was 27 and the other was 31. Do you think they moved up on merit?
Who were these three officials and when did this happen?
Old Sun Mar 24, 2002, 04:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Re: SURPRISE!!!!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

Who were these three officials and when did this happen?
Tommy O'Neil and his two sons. This year, it was in Referee Magazine earlier in the season. They worked together I believe at Marquette. I could be wrong at the location thought. And I think that the younger son was a little older too. Like 29 instead of 27. But I will look at get back with you.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 24, 2002, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Bruce worked in my High School association in Atlanta up until the mid 90's. Nice guy, decent official, but no doubt politics played a part in his move to D1. He was still doing D2 women's ball in the Peach Belt 3 and 4 years ago.
He has come a long way and greatly improved. You can't blame him for moving up. More power to him!
Old Sun Mar 24, 2002, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

oops. I was doing the women's ball. Bruce was doing the men's. Freudian slip!!!!
Old Mon Mar 25, 2002, 05:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Heck, Ted Valentine worked a year of HS ball before starting D-I, if I remember correctly. I think there might have been at least one ref who had a D-I schedule before a varsity HS one.

About Bruce Benedict, I've heard lots of talk about using politics to move up - while knowing people can be a huge advantage at some times, a blind guy who can't blow a whistle but who has friends is not going to become a D-I ref!!
When I attend Tollivers's camp a couple of years ago, one of the instructors (Tony Brothers) told me that he got picked up for D-1 before he ever did varsity HS. Tony said his assignor did not like his smart mouth and would not assign varsity. Tony was an excellent instructor and I have seen him several times on T.V.