The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 12, 2005, 04:47pm
Huck Finn

Bruce Weber showed a great deal of courage and heart today. Some might say he should have been with his family at this time but I would disagree. Unfortunately I've been in his situation and it is an amazing thing to be able to do anything without falling to total pieces let alone think through a game for 40 minutes. My prayers go out to him and his family.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2005, 05:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I don't think anyone has any right to question this decision. And, frankly, he would have been just as much within his rights had he decided to not coach today. I've seen too many people get criticized either way. I haven't seen any criticism of Weber, and I hope I don't.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2005, 09:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

I was in the United Center for today's game. Bruce Weber got a standing ovation when he entered the court. It was really an emotional scene.

On a side note of this story. Bruce Weber has a brother that is a coach at Glenbrook North High School. His team was playing for their Sectional Championship on Friday. They won the game and he coached his team that same night. According to Bruce he knew about his mother before that game. Bruce said in an interview today that is what his mother would have wanted them to do.

My heart goes out to their family regardless of what team these guys coach for.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 12, 2005, 09:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Article on Bruce Weber's brother.

prep boys basketball

Spartans' win 'bittersweet'
By Bob Hurst
Special to the Tribune

March 11, 2005, 11:30 PM CST

Glenbrook North's victory Friday night in the Class AA sectional final at Conant was both joyous and devastating emotionally.

It wasn't until after the Spartans defeated Conant 37-36 that coach Dave Weber—brother of Illinois coach Bruce Weber—found out that his mother, Dawn, had died before the game.

His players told him before the game that they were playing for him and were going to win for his mother. All they knew at the time was that their coach's mom was in surgery.

"It was bittersweet," said Glenbrook North assistant coach Bryan Halpern.

"Before the game we told Coach that we were going to do it for his mother," said the Spartans' Jon Scheyer, who scored a game-high 14 points.

Glenbrook North (28-2) advances to the Loyola supersectional Tuesday night. It's the Spartans' second trip to the Sweet 16 in the last three years.

In a thrilling finish, Conant missed two shots with five seconds remaining. Glenbrook North had gone ahead with 4:09 left on two free throws by Scheyer. Those were the last points of the game.

Conant (24-5) went ahead 36-32 at 6:10 of the fourth on baskets by Fred Taylor before Sean Wallis (12 points) started the final 5-0 surge for the Spartans with a three-pointer with 5:52 left.

The Spartans led 25-20 at halftime before Conant tied it 32-32 at the end of three quarters. Scheyer missed his first four shots of the third.

"Thank God for my teammates, because they really bailed me out," Scheyer said. "I didn't play my best game, but they picked me up."
Copyright © 2005, The Chicago Tribune
Old Sat Mar 12, 2005, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
I don't think anyone has any right to question this decision. And, frankly, he would have been just as much within his rights had he decided to not coach today. I've seen too many people get criticized either way. I haven't seen any criticism of Weber, and I hope I don't.

Good quote Snaqwells. The family needs our prayers not our opinions.RR
Old Sun Mar 13, 2005, 02:31am
Official Forum Member

Great interview with him on espn today...thought he was gonna cry right there. The announcer looked like she wanted to give him a hug. Im amazed he could keep his mind on the game at all.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Being an Illini fan I am so happy that Bruce is our coach! He is a class act and is very deserving on what post season awards he will win.

Go Illini!!!!
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

The funeral was today. I read in the local paper that the NCAA would have moved Illinois if they need more time for the funeral. I am glad they did not. Indy, Chicago, St. Louis, what a short trip!