The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 2.40 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

--tipped strike--

Yeah! I like that one.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 03:51pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Emerling
Dennis Miller, participating on the Monday Night Football crew, had a negative impact.

If PeeWee Herman was announcing, I think they'd lose viewers.
Like a car wreck, he would peak ratings for a few minutes...before the public began turning away.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 04:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Emerling
Dennis Miller, participating on the Monday Night Football crew, had a negative impact.

If PeeWee Herman was announcing, I think they'd lose viewers.
I rather liked the usually unbearable Miller on MNF. He was a hoot.

Paul Ruebens would make a great color commentator when compared side-by-side with Tim McCarver. Or Jim Palmer. Or Joe Morgan. Or Harold Reynolds. Or Orel Herscheiser.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
I highly doubt you're right.
Oh, I'm right all right. The average fan doesn't care much about who announces or commentates. However, using an extreme like Pee Wee Herman's a different story.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

I suggest that we abandon the effort to coorect eveyone and accept that a ball tipped by the bat that goes backwards and is NOT caught by the catcher should now be called a FOUL TIP. That would be the easiest thing because everyone calls it a foul tip anyway. It makes sense because it is "foul" and it is a "tip."

Then we should create a new term to describe what we used to call a "foul tip." I suggest the new term be called a LIVE TIP. That term works because the it is a live ball that was tipped, and not using the word "foul" removes the confusion that the ball is, or is not, live.

Last edited by Richard_Siegel; Wed Oct 31, 2007 at 06:42pm.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Siegel
I suggest that we abandon the effort to coorect eveyone and accept that a ball tipped by the bat that goes backwards and is NOT caught by the catcher should now be called a FOUL TIP. That would be the easiest thing because everyone calls it a foul tip anyway. It makes sense because it is "foul" and it is a "tip."

Then we should create a new term to describe what we used to call a "foul tip." I suggest the new term be called a LIVE TIP. That term works because the it is a live ball that was tipped, and not using the word "foul" removes the confusion that the ball is, or is not, live.

Okay, then we follow that pattern and everytime an announcer or anyone else, for that matter, can't use proper terminologly, we make up new ones so they won't be mistaken.

Sheeeeeesh.

And I thought "no child left behind" was a disaster.

People, there is nothing wrong with a little education and expecting those who make a living broadcasting sports to understand and use the proper vocabulary.

The trend for the world to change because a couple of idiots can't seem to learn should not do to baseball what it has done to high school.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 07:55pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Okay, then we follow that pattern and everytime an announcer or anyone else, for that matter, can't use proper terminologly, we make up new ones so they won't be mistaken.

Sheeeeeesh.

And I thought "no child left behind" was a disaster.

People, there is nothing wrong with a little education and expecting those who make a living broadcasting sports to understand and use the proper vocabulary.

The trend for the world to change because a couple of idiots can't seem to learn should not do to baseball what it has done to high school.
I have never had to clear up anything that an announcer has said on a broadcast to my knowledge. Fans are usually in the dark when it comes to the rules and more than likely don't remember what they heard anyway.

So, come down off the ledge. If I had those two idiots money, I'd throw yours away.

BTW Professor-You misspelled a couple of words. Every time is two words, not one. Also, the word terminology, the very subject we're supposed to be discussing.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

You're right, GarthB. Let's not do that. Instead, let's make a thorough understanding of what constitutes a foul tip a requirement for graduation from high school. And what would be more useful and important to know in life anyway, the definition of a foul tip or all that dumbed-down feel-good p.c. bull? And the concept of a foul tip, with all the circumstances that qualify a play as a foul tip or not, would be more cognitively challenging, too. The kids would learn the OBR definition in high school. In college, they would study the differences in the various codes, including softball. Graduate schools could teach the history of the foul tip, its psychosocial foundations, how Freud interpreted it, etc.

Now who would you rather have dinner with, somebody with a graduate degree in the foul tip, or a Ph.D. in how toothpaste ads oppress women?
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule

You're right, GarthB. Let's not do that. Instead, let's make a thorough understanding of what constitutes a foul tip a requirement for graduation from high school. And what would be more useful and important to know in life anyway, the definition of a foul tip or all that dumbed-down feel-good p.c. bull? And the concept of a foul tip, with all the circumstances that qualify a play as a foul tip or not, would be more cognitively challenging, too. The kids would learn the OBR definition in high school. In college, they would study the differences in the various codes, including softball. Graduate schools could teach the history of the foul tip, its psychosocial foundations, how Freud interpreted it, etc.

Now who would you rather have dinner with, somebody with a graduate degree in the foul tip, or a Ph.D. in how toothpaste ads oppress women?
I'm not surprised the Steven Tyler can't read for comprehension, but I'm amazed at your reaction.

Oh, well, I failed to heed the words of the master. To paraphrase: No one ever went broke under estimating the intelligence of the American public.

In case my post was so unclear that others can't understand it, I am simply making the point that it makes no sense to change the rule book every time some goober can't use a term correctly.

Last edited by GarthB; Wed Oct 31, 2007 at 09:01pm.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve

Paul Ruebens would make a great color commentator when compared side-by-side with Tim McCarver. Or Jim Palmer. Or Joe Morgan. Or Harold Reynolds. Or Orel Herscheiser.
You forgot Joe Buck, Jr.
Old Wed Oct 31, 2007, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

I'm amazed at your reaction.

I understood your post and didn't really disagree with it. I just took it to run with something I thought might be entertaining. I was not being sarcastic (toward your post).
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Actually, I liked him, too. But that's probably because I liked him as a regular comedian. Nonetheless, Dennis Miller is an acquired tasted. He's not for everybody. Consequently, it didn't surprise me too much that his career as a MNF commentator was short-lived. Ratings-wise, you have to appeal to a very wide audience.

Hell, maybe you're right! For all I know Paul Reubens may be very knowledgeable and insightful with regards to baseball.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Hersh almost rehired him after Bennie fired him.

Denny was fun when he was smashed at 0300 and would throw on the lights to show us his "slip pitch"; He once called Tim (not Haag) " a stupid loser who had to pay (Carlton) to stay in the bigs." I often wished I had inquired further.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So it's an established fact that most people like Joe Buck and Tim McCarver? Hmmmmm, my research shows otherwise. Like I said, just Google "Tim McCarver is an idiot" and check out the many websites that contain those very words. Actually, many people, not just me, do not like them.

Slamalamadingdong
Once upon a time, Howard Cosell was both the "most liked" and "most disliked" announcer.

I do find it surprising that anyone takes it so seriously. :shrug:
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Once upon a time, Howard Cosell was both the "most liked" and "most disliked" announcer.

I do find it surprising that anyone takes it so seriously. :shrug:
Cosell was also "most watched".