The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Good call ref

So yesterday I was doing 2 Boys V tournament games in a 24 team tournament that is kinda a big deal around here.

In the second game of the 2 we have a fast break towards the basket... I am lead. Blue catches up and gets in front of the white shooter just a tad too late .. Tweeet BLOCK... 2 shots. I go to report come back to my trail spot for free throw administration as I hear somebody behind me say "Great call ref" My first thought was it was a white team player who was happy they got the shots but no to my surprise it was the kid who fouled.

First time this has happened to me and all I can say was it felt good knowing you were right by the player admitting it.

Of course 2 plays later he did the same thing but this time he didn't like the block call
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

That's because the first time he was buttering you up so you'd give him one. I was coaching 8th grade once and my big guy picked up three quick fouls in the second quarter. He asked me at halftime what he was being called for, and I honestly had to say I didn't know. He was getting called for rebounding from behind and reaching over the top, and I though he was clean. But instead of telling him he was getting hosed, I told him to go and ask the ref, "Sir, can you tell me what you're seeing on those fouls?" The ref was very agreeable and explained his viewpoint. I don't know what he said exactly, but I know my big guy didn't pick up any more fouls that game.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 03:45am
Official Forum Member

We have a "particular" school around these parts where their fan behavior is NOTORIOUSLY horrible. 99.99% of the time if the call doesn't go for their team, it draws an immediate and sometimes vicious response from the fans. I had a VG game last year at this particular school, and had a PC foul on their BEST player. TWEET!! "Offense," and I signal going back down the court. NOT A WORD, NOT A SOUND! The gym couldn't have been more quiet if it had been empty. To me, that was a pretty darn good feeling!