The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 2.40 average. Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Not only that, but an isosceles right triangle (which is even easier).

Welcome to the board, Richard, nice to have you here.
I knew that name looked familiar.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Siegel
A batter's box is 48" by 72" which is an area of 3,456 sq. in. Home plate is 6 inches from the edge of the box. The edge of the foul ine that determines the terminus of fair territory cuts a 45° angle across the box. The foul line cuts off a equilateral triangle from the corner of the box where each leg is 30" long. Doing the math, the area of that small triangle is 450 sq. in. The ratio of the "fair" part of the batter's box would be 450/3456 which gives us a percentage of 13.02% of the batter's box is in fair territory.
You are correct, though Jaksa rounded it down and said 13%.

Congratulations on being the first one to submit the correct answer. Contact Mr. Jenkins for your prize.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

How about the balk call in game one. It was obvious that the pitcher stepped more towards home on the pick off move. Those clowns announcing the game didn't have a clue until they played back the "sounds of the game" when the umpire could be heard explaining the balk call.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 06:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump
How about the balk call in game one. It was obvious that the pitcher stepped more towards home on the pick off move. Those clowns announcing the game didn't have a clue until they played back the "sounds of the game" when the umpire could be heard explaining the balk call.
Really? I heard them say right away that the umpire must have felt that the pitcher did not step toward first, but McCarver thought he had stepped enough toward first.

Ol' Ed made the proper, gutsy call, while Laz stood there at 1B like a statue in the set position.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Really? I heard them say right away that the umpire must have felt that the pitcher did not step toward first, but McCarver thought he had stepped enough toward first.

Ol' Ed made the proper, gutsy call, while Laz stood there at 1B like a statue in the set position.

I didn't catch that. They re-played it several times and questioned why the 1st base umpire didn't call it. It was a great call for sure.

Hope all is safe for you down there. I had a lot of friends that had to be evacuated. Fortunately none loss their homes.
Old Sat Oct 27, 2007, 12:08am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
n What percentage of the box is in fair territory? (Disclaimer: Chris Jaksa went into a fun geometric discussion of this in umpire school lo those many Moons ago.)
Depends on who lines the boxes. lol
Old Sat Oct 27, 2007, 08:37pm

After watching the replay a few times, McCarver finally understood what Ted Barrett was doing when he made the out call at the plate on Manny. I knew that Barrett had a tag and was just making sure Torrealba held on to the ball. Great play by Yorvit and great call by Barrett, who McCarver had already started raking over the coals.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Oct 27, 2007, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
After watching the replay a few times, McCarver finally understood what Ted Barrett was doing when he made the out call at the plate on Manny. I knew that Barrett had a tag and was just making sure Torrealba held on to the ball. Great play by Yorvit and great call by Barrett, who McCarver had already started raking over the coals.
Steve,

Don't give McCarver credit...It was Joe Buck who first realized and then insisted that Barrett had delayed his call to make sure Torrealba had held on to the ball...McCarver then subsequently agreed with Buck.

Not that I like Buck...but in this case if Buck wasn't there, McCarver would still be going on about Barrett having delayed his call because Manny "didn't touch the plate," and how wrong Barrett was, blah, blah, blah.

During live action and the first two replays I thought Barrett had missed it. Then they showed the third replay...Good call!

McCarver is clueless.
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Sergeant Major

Fox screwed up and showed 1st sergeant insignia instead of SGM. When referring to Veratek.
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
During live action and the first two replays I thought Barrett had missed it. Then they showed the third replay...Good call.
Same here.

On the live play and the first replay, you couldn't tell if the plate was touched. The sliding runner blocked the view of the plate and the tag.

The next replay showed that Manny's hand definitely got in there, but you couldn't really see the tag.

That third replay- which was from the same perspective the umpire had , looking up the third base line- caught it all. The tag then the touch in rapid-fire succession.

Nice camera work, nice positioning and a nice call!
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 03:53am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by upscout2000
Fox screwed up and showed 1st sergeant insignia instead of SGM. When referring to Veratek.
Next they will have him upranked to LCDR.
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan
Same here.

On the live play and the first replay, you couldn't tell if the plate was touched. The sliding runner blocked the view of the plate and the tag.

The next replay showed that Manny's hand definitely got in there, but you couldn't really see the tag.

That third replay- which was from the same perspective the umpire had , looking up the third base line- caught it all. The tag then the touch in rapid-fire succession.

Yes it was a great call! McCarver is a complete Moron!!! He and Joe Morgan are in a class by themselves. Jim Palmer is a close 3rd.
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

my .02

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan
Same here.

I want to remember this everytime I hear people calling for instant replay for baseball.......3 replays to get to the answer that the human umpire got the first time at game speed......

great call..
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
Steve,

Don't give McCarver credit...It was Joe Buck who first realized and then insisted that Barrett had delayed his call to make sure Torrealba had held on to the ball...McCarver then subsequently agreed with Buck.

Not that I like Buck...but in this case if Buck wasn't there, McCarver would still be going on about Barrett having delayed his call because Manny "didn't touch the plate," and how wrong Barrett was, blah, blah, blah.

During live action and the first two replays I thought Barrett had missed it. Then they showed the third replay...Good call!

McCarver is clueless.
McCarver was a player so his comments on umpiring need to be taken with a grain of salt.

McCarver should stop, look and listen before he makes his comments.

Before the replay even showed he said it was a bad call because he was looking at Manny's expression. He also doesn't know umpire mechanics. The call was delayed because Torrealba wanted to make certain that F2 held on to the ball which is what he was supposed to do.

That's why I personally liked it when Fox had Steve Palermo in the booth. I do not know why he is not there anymore.

McCarver comments on things too quickly and more often than not he ends up with "egg on his face"

That's why one needs to take comments about umpires from former major leage players with a grain of salt. They are "coming at things" from a different perspective.

Pete Booth
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
McCarver was a player so his comments on umpiring need to be taken with a grain of salt.

McCarver should stop, look and listen before he makes his comments.

Before the replay even showed he said it was a bad call because he was looking at Manny's expression. He also doesn't know umpire mechanics. The call was delayed because Torrealba wanted to make certain that F2 held on to the ball which is what he was supposed to do.

That's why I personally liked it when Fox had Steve Palermo in the booth. I do not know why he is not there anymore.

McCarver comments on things too quickly and more often than not he ends up with "egg on his face"

That's why one needs to take comments about umpires from former major leage players with a grain of salt. They are "coming at things" from a different perspective.

Pete Booth
Here is why McCarver is an idiot:

Last night, McCarver is all over Barrett stating that Barrett had not made an immediate out call because he (Barrett) thought that Manny had missed the plate. (sigh) He continued to say this over and over until...Joe Buck stated Barrett was waiting to make sure F2 held onto the ball. McCarver then imediately (within seconds) agreed with Buck.

Flash back to about five years ago. After a controversial call on the field, McCarver ripped the umpire(s) for minutes on end. (I believe it was an obstruction call). MLB sent an umpire executive into the FOX broadcast booth to explain on-air (which the exec. did) why the umpire had gotten the call 100% correct. McCarver then spent the next several minutes arguing with the executive (I think it was Palermo) that he and the umpire were wrong.

So in Tim's world: The opinion of Joe Buck (who has no umpire training) on umpiring issues carries more weight than a retired MLB umpire turned MLB executive.

That is why he's an idiot.

Last edited by lawump; Sun Oct 28, 2007 at 01:16pm.