The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

why Bruce aint on the crew

sportsillustrated says--

"• Even better decision by MLB not to use Bruce Froemming on the World Series umpiring crew. It's nice to see MLB stand up to the pushy Froemming, who has already been honored a hundred different ways by MLB in his final season umpiring and was never really punished like he should have been for calling MLB exec Cathy Davis a "Jew b----.'' Froemming politicked with higher-ups at MLB to be included on this year's Series crew. Perhaps they took quality into consideration in leaving him out.
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Every once in a while S.I. gets one right.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 07:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Every once in a while S.I. gets one right.
You have always had this thing against Froemming. Any particular reason?
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
What do you mean, the anti-Semitic thing? Shouldn't everyone have that against him?
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I have not "always had this thing against Froemming." Bruce was once a good umpire.

I was commenting about the statements S.I. made:

Quote:
..."who has already been honored a hundred different ways by MLB in his final season umpiring..."
True.

Quote:
..."and was never really punished like he should have been for calling MLB exec Cathy Davis a "Jew b----.''
Accurate

Quote:
"Froemming politicked with higher-ups at MLB to be included on this year's Series crew."
According to those I know with MLB, again, accurate.

Quote:
"Perhaps they took quality into consideration in leaving him out."
His skills have not been what they were for several years. Some performances this year were just awful, definitely not World Series worthy.

I don't believe post season assignments should be based on longevity, service to the activity or "good ol boy politics" at the amateur or pro levels. I believe they should be merit based. If you feel the need to reward someone for X number of years service, buy him a watch or throw him a banquet.

Hell, I'd pay to go to Bruce's retirement dinner if it were accessible. He's had a hell of a career. He just, in my opinion, like many athletes, didn't know when to quit.

Last edited by GarthB; Fri Oct 26, 2007 at 10:32am.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Regardless of what one thinks about Bruce, his abilities (or lack thereof now), etc., he should have gotten the World Series only if he earned it, and not because he felt he deserved it. Having been praised and received plenty of accolades this year, when is enough enough?
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 11:25am

Quote:
Hell, I'd pay to go to Bruce's retirement dinner if it were accessible. He's had a hell of a career. He just, in my opinion, like many athletes, didn't know when to quit.
Are you going to "know when to quit?" It's hard to let go, believe me.

If I could still in any way physically umpire, I would be back out there in a heartbeat. I toughed it out for years with multiple health problems, but can no longer do it. I know many umpires who should have hung their protectors up years ago who are still going at it. Umpiring is something special to most of us, and the thought of giving it up never crosses our minds until it's past the time to stop.

As far as Froemming, they would have had to pry the indicator out of his stubby little fingers to get him to quit any sooner than he did.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Perhaps Johnny Carson explained it best when he was asked why he retired when he did, considering many believed he was still funny, relevant, and good.

He said it is better for a person to retire and have people comment, "Why did you retire? You still had years left in you," than to have people say, "You should have retired years ago. You no longer have it."
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Are you going to "know when to quit?"
I think so. I have had several examples of umpires who stayed too long in the past couple years, locally. That's one reason I am treating my recent injury seriously. If I don't have the mobility to do my job at the level I desire, I will retire.

That's also the reason that even after reaching 50 I attend clinics and camps, work with pro's on mechanics and exercise. I know I'm at the age when many umires take their experience for granted and their skills begin to deteriorate. I take nothing for granted. I think umpires can always continue to improve.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 11:56am
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
He said it is better for a person to retire and have people comment, "Why did you retire? You still had years left in you," than to have people say, "You should have retired years ago. You no longer have it."
I used that a few years ago when I decided to retire from another sport. I couldn't keep up with the 20-year-olds in a fast sport. And sure enough, people said that to me, adding,"You're as good as all those other guys out there your age still doing it."

While that was true, it's they who had made the wrong choice, not me. I miss it, sure, but if someone's on the edge, they should do what I did: Watch yourself on video doing an entire game. While I was "as good as all those other guys my age" I was embarrassed compared to what I used to be.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

I have an adult son who is a top notch umpire and I work with him often. I wouldn't want to embarass him by going out on the field and putting him in the position (someday) of having to cover for my mistakes. I have told him that when he thinks I have reached the point where he thinks I'm not up to the job anymore he should not be concerned about upsetting me, and he must tell me and I will quit. Otherwise, I am sure that I would be one of those guys who will try and hang on too long.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 12:44pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson
sportsillustrated says--

"• Froemming politicked with higher-ups at MLB to be included on this year's Series crew. Perhaps they took quality into consideration in leaving him out.
Maybe the higher-ups at MLB did some politicking of their own. Considering what a boil on their necks Froemming has been at times over the years, they may have used this as one final "$crew you".
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Siegel
I have an adult son who is a top notch umpire and I work with him often. I wouldn't want to embarass him by going out on the field and putting him in the position (someday) of having to cover for my mistakes. I have told him that when he thinks I have reached the point where he thinks I'm not up to the job anymore he should not be concerned about upsetting me, and he must tell me and I will quit. Otherwise, I am sure that I would be one of those guys who will try and hang on too long.
I have two sons, same circumstances. If they come to me, objectively, and tell me that it is time to hang them up. I will walk tall away from the game.

Fire one, disown the other.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Are you going to "know when to quit?" It's hard to let go, believe me.

If I could still in any way physically umpire, I would be back out there in a heartbeat. I toughed it out for years with multiple health problems, but can no longer do it. I know many umpires who should have hung their protectors up years ago who are still going at it. Umpiring is something special to most of us, and the thought of giving it up never crosses our minds until it's past the time to stop.
Steve, I remember when you first announced in 2004 4Q that you were packing it in. Tim Haag (did I spell that right?) and I talked about it right before we opened Officials Unlimited's forum. Gordon represented you well, he thought it would be excellent therapy, you and I and Deej spoke about your health issues over the phone if I recall.

It must have been, you were back on the field in less than a month.

Kidding aside, I thought it was very gutsy of you. Hope you and yours are well, fires and health, life can be such a rough climb.

WJR
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think so. I have had several examples of umpires who stayed too long in the past couple years, locally. That's one reason I am treating my recent injury seriously. If I don't have the mobility to do my job at the level I desire, I will retire.
I have background in sports injuries, if I can be of help, please let me know.