The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
They don't go watch slo-mo replays thankfully.
And what is wrong with going to slo-mo replays

I find it a paradox.

There is the motto "get the call right" yet baseball refuses to use the technology available to Get the call right.

Some say that IR will add time to games that are already lasting 3.5 - 4 hours long. When the umpires "huddle" also takes time. Why "huddle" when you can go to the Replay.

We do not know what would have happened but in last nights game 2 calls would have been over-turned if replay were used.

The Matsui CI and Mussina CLEARLY touching the bag before the runner. (BTW Gerry Davis made the call against the Yanks again)

The tradition of baseball went out years ago. The DH Rule, lowering of the mound ,smaller ball-parks, Wild card Teams, Inter-League play to name a few.

Every major sport has replay even Tennis for God's sake so I do not know what the problem is. At least experiment with it in Spring Training.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
(BTW Gerry Davis made the call against the Yanks again)

blah mr Pete the homer

mr Davis is now on my Xmas card list!!!
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson
blah mr Pete the homer

mr Davis is now on my Xmas card list!!!
Larry, unfortunately I am a MET Fan not a Yankee fan. I was rooting for the Indians.

I just found it quite interesting that Gerry Davis was behind yet another blown call against the Yankees which pompted my response.

Each team got hosed. Mencavich clearly Offered at the Pitch which would have been Strike 3. Mencavich proceeded to walk. Perhaps Bruce was thinking about his retirement. A CLEAR CI on Matsui and Mussina CLEARLY touched the bag before Seizemore.

All in all not a good day for the men in blue or I should say Black

Pete Booth
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

I wasn't very happy about the hit batsmen call on the bunt. I'm surprised that no one has yet to bring up a very obvious point. I have read here and been told that if you have a doubt about a hit batsmen on a play like that one last night, to just watch the BR reaction. Watch the play again and watch the BR reaction right after the supposed hit batsmen. The BR gets up, calmly strolls over to get his helmet and bat. He had absolutely zero reaction to supposedly taking a 90 mph fast ball off the back of the hand. He didn't wince, grab the hand or try to shake it off.

The BR reaction told me all I needed to know. If that ball hits him and then the bat, his face is going to show it, he's going to instinctively grab his hand, he'll do something to indicate that he just took a fastball off the hand. Yet Culbreath et. all missed that entirely. The BR told you by his reaction that he didn't get hit and not one MLB umpire thought to look for it. Amazing!

I kinda surprised that Culbreath missed the CI on Matsui as well. I listened carefully to th full speed replay to listen for the telltale sound. It was there for all to hear. That coupled with the catchers glove pointing at the pitcher (because it was hit) and the trajectory of the ball, should have made that an easy call.

I also have no idea what Froemming was looking at on that check swing. Doug so offered at the pitch, it wasn't even really close.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

its true that mr Davis hosed that call at first no q about it--guess he should give mr Denkinger a call
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaliix
I also have no idea what Froemming was looking at on that check swing. Doug so offered at the pitch, it wasn't even really close.

Bruce may have been preoccupied with that nightmare he's been having about retirement. The one where he's lying on the beach in Hawaii and Greenpeace keeps trying drag him back in the water.

Last edited by GarthB; Tue Oct 09, 2007 at 12:31pm.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 12:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Bruce may have been preoccupied with that nightmare he's been having about retirement. The one where he's lying on the beach in Hawaii and Greenpeace keeps trying drag him back in the water.
Classy. Real classy.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Classy. Real classy.
Thank you. Thank you.

I'm here all week.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 12:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
I know that Mick or Bob is gonna get rid of this, but it's just soooooo appropriate.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, they should get rid of that. It's much more like a manatee...
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 01:39pm

I'm just so happy we no longer have to hear from the absolute worst broadcast team in baseball, John Sterling and his sidekick Susan. What a pair of homer spin doctors. Thuuuuuuuu Yankees lose.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
And what is wrong with going to slo-mo replays?
I find it a paradox. There is the motto "get the call right" yet baseball refuses to use the technology available to Get the call right.
"Listen to the sounds, watch no lips".

Quote:
Some say that IR will add time to games that are already lasting 3.5 - 4 hours long. When the umpires "huddle" also takes time. Why "huddle" when you can go to the Replay. We do not know what would have happened but in last nights game 2 calls would have been over-turned if replay were used.
Clearly and my opinion is that one more play under instant replay/review would have been overturned. Three critical calls that had important and significant influence on the outcome.

Quote:
The Matsui CI and Mussina CLEARLY touching the bag before the runner. The tradition of baseball went out years ago. The DH Rule, lowering of the mound ,smaller ball-parks, Wild card Teams, Inter-League play to name a few. Every major sport has replay even Tennis for God's sake so I do not know what the problem is. At least experiment with it in Spring Training.

Pete Booth
Mr. Booth, MLB does not want instant replay. They have chosen specific technological implementations. Those decisions were affected because MLB believed them beneficial to their profitability.

MLB does not want its MLB umpires open to the type of scrutiny that instant replay/review will expose them. MLB umpires have proven time and time again that they are not ready to have professional standards publicly applied to their performances.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Ump
"Listen to the sounds, watch no lips".

Clearly and my opinion is that one more play under instant replay/review would have been overturned. Three critical calls that had important and significant influence on the outcome.

Mr. Booth, MLB does not want instant replay. They have chosen specific technological implementations. Those decisions were affected because MLB believed them beneficial to their profitability.

MLB does not want its MLB umpires open to the type of scrutiny that instant replay/review will expose them. MLB umpires have proven time and time again that they are not ready to have professional standards publicly applied to their performances.
Give it a rest.

MLB umpires are already under the microscope of instant replay and have been for 40 years....and need not apologize to anyone. The calls are nearly always correct.

And MLB already has the technology to make every call on the strike zone perfectly. It is currently used as a tool to make the strike zone more consistent among all umpires.

But, in the interest of never making a mistake, let's turn the game over to technology.

Let's start with the strike zone and have every ball not hit judged by the computer. A series of lights, red for strikes and green for balls, could flash around the diamond and the stadium so the players and the fans could keep track of the count. The plate umpire, no longer burdened by a protector, shin guards, padded shoes and a mask could stand opposite the swing pattern of the batter and watch for half swings, foul tips, hit batsmen, catcher interference, dropped balls by the catcher, etc. He would be close to cover plays at the plate, make sure the plate was clean, throw in new balls and make the necessary scorecard changes.

The same would hold true on the bases. Umpires would no longer need to worry about close plays, a tv replay will make the call. They still would be needed to watch out for obstruction, interference, call the infield fly rule, time the interval between innings, look out for balks, whether the pitcher went to his mouth, and so on.

This would mean MLB no longer needs seasoned veterans who spend 20 years in the minors. Think of the money it can save on salaries for arbiters who no longer have to hustle to get into position. Sure they have to be students of the rules, but Wal-Mart greeters can do that.

Who cares if a rash of close plays slows down the game, after all we want to make sure every call is dead on,right? If tv can't tell, flip a coin. Thoese types of plays always even out, right?

Besides, the time lost on reviewing close plays will be offset by no more of those disgusting arguments between a manager and an umpire.

Just think, under this arrangement Bruce Froemming could umpire for another 30 years.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Which, of course, begs the question, why would he want to?
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Cub42
Post Absurd

I find it utterly ridiculous in your comments about professional standards and the MLB Umpires not being up to them. Just wondering how many games you have done iinfront of 50,000 people and every available angle covered by TV. Not to mention the speed of the game.There is always going to be the human element in the game. But what ever your personal feelings toward them, they are the best at what they do, and they are there based on their ability.There are a lot of guys on this site that are in AA or AAA. Ask them the difference in the game as they move up each level. Then think about your comments the next time you are out on the field working what ever level you work.

Last edited by Cub42; Wed Oct 10, 2007 at 01:15am.