The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

fake tag - ncaa

i know that a fake tag is considered obstruction in FED and legal in OBR, but how about NCAA?? I couldn't find anything. Rule citation please.
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newump
i know that a fake tag is considered obstruction in FED and legal in OBR, but how about NCAA?? I couldn't find anything. Rule citation please.
Up to 2006 there was no NCAA fake tag rule. I just did a quick look-see at 2007 rules and couldn't find anything either.

Go to NCAA baseball rules 2007.
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

NCAA Fake Tag= Obstruction?

According the Carl Childress' 2006 Baseball Rules Differences, Section 338, There is no provision in NCAA rules nor in OBR only in Fed. Thus I would say that it is legal barring any contact with runner.
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Only FED & LL have a penalty for the fake tag. NCAA & OBR let the players take care of this themselves (if you get my drift).

Regards
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

thanks for the info. i have BRD and that is what i found, but a partner of mine recently disputed this finding. he insisted that there is an ncaa interp tha makes the fake tag illegal in ncaa. anyone know anything about this?

my partner saw the fake tag and then warned both teams. no base award as the runner was just sliding into 2nd on a steal of 2nd. the throw was high, but he SS caught it.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Fake Tag= Obstruction? Interpretation says different?

I did a D-1 fall ball game yesterday and the opposing team was Canadian playing OBR usually. The plate meeting brought this up so we discussed and agreed, fake tags are okay per rule. Longer discussion over slide rules, contact with fielders, etc. If you find the answer is different, please post the interpretation source and text if you can find it. Inquiring minds want to know.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

dave yeast interp

i recently posted the fake tag question to dave yeast (ncaa national coordinator of umpires) and got the following response....

"It is not covered in our book however a fake tag that makes a runner slide could be ruled obstruction and penalized as such.

ddy"

doesn't really help much. i'll follow up for a clarification.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggk
i recently posted the fake tag question to dave yeast (ncaa national coordinator of umpires) and got the following response....

"It is not covered in our book however a fake tag that makes a runner slide could be ruled obstruction and penalized as such.

ddy"

doesn't really help much. i'll follow up for a clarification.
And they COULD, put that in the rules if that is what they want called.

What a wuzz answer that was.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 09:50am
Veteran College Umpire

Fake tags are OK in NCAA until they pass and post a ruling to the contrary. "Dekeing" (did I spell that right?) runners in this manner is acceptable because runners aren't supposed to be watching those fielders, they're supposed to be watching their coach and/or the ball.

JJ
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
Fake tags are OK in NCAA until they pass and post a ruling to the contrary. "Dekeing" (did I spell that right?) runners in this manner is acceptable because runners aren't supposed to be watching those fielders, they're supposed to be watching their coach and/or the ball.

JJ
I tend to think it is acceptable because the rules allow it.

As officials, do we reeally care what they watch?
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
thanks for the info. i have BRD and that is what i found, but a partner of mine recently disputed this finding. he insisted that there is an ncaa interp tha makes the fake tag illegal in ncaa. anyone know anything about this?

my partner saw the fake tag and then warned both teams. no base award as the runner was just sliding into 2nd on a steal of 2nd. the throw was high, but he SS caught it.
If the SS caught the ball, how in the world do you have a fake tag?!?! Doesn't a fake tag kind of imply that the ball is nowhere near the fielder in question?

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

WHAT?

The runner's going to be sliding anyhow. A fake tag is done to force a slide and stop an advance AND F6 caught the throw from the catcher.

Where's the fake tag?
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

That one had me scratching my head, too. Did F6 somehow manage to slip in the fake before he had caught the ball?

And what's with the "warning both teams" business? Is that actually a prescribed procedure? Maybe it's described in the same super-secret memo that bans fake tags!
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

in the situation. F4 was covering the bag. the throw was very high and F6 (who was backing up the play) caught the throw in shallow centerfield. F4 applied the fake tag, the runner slid, but F6 caught the ball. if F6 had not caught the ball, the slide by the runner may have prevented him from continuing to third on the overthrow.

not that i agree, but my partner's theory for warning both teams was this: if he just warned that offending team, he felt the other team might feel obliged to "retaliate" with a fake tag of their own.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
in the situation. F4 was covering the bag. the throw was very high and F6 (who was backing up the play) caught the throw in shallow centerfield. F4 applied the fake tag, the runner slid, but F6 caught the ball. if F6 had not caught the ball, the slide by the runner may have prevented him from continuing to third on the overthrow.

not that i agree, but my partner's theory for warning both teams was this: if he just warned that offending team, he felt the other team might feel obliged to "retaliate" with a fake tag of their own.
If the runner was stealing second, I doubt very much if he had any intention of taking third. Except in those cases where stupidity prevails, most runners are sliding on a steal.

Your partner needs to

1. Learn the rules.
2. Not make them up because he hasn't taking time to learn them.