View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 21, 2007, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

How can I teach my players to

We had a play last night in a FED game. R2 & R3, 1 out. The infield is playing in. The batter hits a gound ball in the hole between second and third. F6 dives for the ball but does not catch it. As the ball is just past the fielder R2 steps on him and stumbles toward third. BU signals a delayed dead ball. R2 scores on the play and the play ends without discussion. The next inning I asked the BU what he was going to call with the delayed dead ball. He said that F6 interfered with B2 and he was protecting him to third base. I told him that it was just incidental contact because the ball the fielder and the runner were just in the same place at the same time. He said, "No. Once the ball passes the fielder he has to get out of the runner's way." I didn't discuss this any further because it really didn't matter.

My question is: How am I supposed to teach my fielders to "disappear" as soon as the ball passes them? He was on the ground from his dive when the contact occured immediately after the ball passed him. This point was not in dispute as the base umpire confirmed that the contact occured at "pretty much the same time the ball was passing the fielder." (His words. Not mine.)