The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 17, 2007, 12:51am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Emerling
I believe MLB adopts the concept that the crew chief (wherever he may be positioned) has a lot of authority with regards to problem resolutions.

When all the umpires get together to resolve a problem, my guess is that the crew chief has final approval of the resolution. But I don't know for sure. That's just the impression I get.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Agree, David, it is PUs butt in the end all.
Old Mon Sep 17, 2007, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
If you don't have an ego, I don't want to work with you.
You and Joe West would get along fine then.

If you are "out for yourself" and have an EGO I am glad you would not want to work with me.

Also, it's difficult to get umpires if you have a group of officials who think their you know what doesn't stink.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Sep 17, 2007, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Wow!

Rich noted:

"If you don't have an ego, I don't want to work with you."

I could not agree more!

I want my partner to want to fight me for the dish, be self-assured to the max, and not allow any sign of weakness.

"Big Umpires Make Big Calls In Big Games!"

Pete noted:

"If you are "out for yourself" and have an EGO I am glad you would not want to work with me."

I am "out for myself" everytime I enter the field. I know that if I do my job, get my calls and have a great pre-game the umpire crew will be successful.

Give me too much ego over a "Sally" anytime.

Regards,
Old Mon Sep 17, 2007, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Pete:

There is a difference between umpires with a solid, secure ego and those who are egotistical.

I've worked with both

Like Tee, I want a partner with a healthy ego.

Like you, I don't want a partner who inappropriately displays that ego.
Old Mon Sep 17, 2007, 11:10am
Is this a legal title?

What Garth said.

Why do guys find the need to fight over the stick? Nearly all my partners and I resolve the position debate by flipping a coin in the dressing room. We respect each other and each other's ability without having to have some junior-high-like bravado show.

Nearly all the guys I know who display the "I'm the man, and the plate is MINE!" attitude in the dressing room are miserable pr!cks outside it. More than one of them has a FUBAR strike zone to boot.
Old Mon Sep 17, 2007, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Go ahead....

work with a guy that is (or guys that are) push-overs. You most-likely will find yourself in a game that is tortuous and burdening.

You will have to cover your partners posterior repeatedly or face an unfair judgement of your game management skills.

Best to have a competent, self-assured individual that is unwavering and intrepid. Games will be much more smooth.
Mind you....self assuredness and competence can be misconstrued as ego, especially if the rat has a big one and is set to make the excuse of blaming game officials for his short-comings as coach or manager.

Of course, that never happens.

My $.02
Old Mon Sep 17, 2007, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcichon
work with a guy that is (or guys that are) push-overs. You most-likely will find yourself in a game that is tortuous and burdening.

You will have to cover your partners posterior repeatedly or face an unfair judgement of your game management skills.

Best to have a competent, self-assured individual that is unwavering and intrepid. Games will be much more smooth.
Mind you....self assuredness and competence can be misconstrued as ego, especially if the rat has a big one and is set to make the excuse of blaming game officials for his short-comings as coach or manager.

Of course, that never happens.

My $.02
Sheeesh. Nobody argued that an umpire that can be walked over is desirable.

There is something between an overbearing pompous egocentric umpire and a dress wearing namby-pamby. Why do you guys have to argue in the extremes?
Old Mon Sep 17, 2007, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Well,

Publius intoned:

"Why do guys find the need to fight over the stick?"

There is a difference between actually fighting over the dish and wanting a partner that would fight you for it.

I work in a group where you are assigned plate or bases.

I want to work with people that are cocky, not conceded . . . that are brash, not arrogant . . . and most of all, confident in what they are asked to do.

Regards,
Old Tue Sep 18, 2007, 12:27am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcichon
Mind you....self assuredness and competence can be misconstrued as ego, especially if the rat ..
Is justified when he finds out you call him that.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2007, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

Well I have no problem with what Tim was referring to. We too are assigned our positions when we get our games. So if I show up to a game where I am assigned to work the plate with a younger member and he takes out his gear wanting to do the plate, that fine with me! I welcome partners that come forward wanting to handle the dish because I've had more than my share of partners that:
  • forgot their plate gear
  • just did a plate 3 days ago and are tired
  • have a bruise on their thigh and want to take it easy
  • going to run a 5k tomorrow and don't want to get tired
  • have a headache
  • forgot their cup
  • have a boil on their butt so they can't wear their jock.
You see, I was brought through the ranks as a "plate man" in the old days. Almost every assignment was the plate in the early years so I am so used to the dish, I used to treat being on the bases almost like being in exile! Of course now, I welcome the break when I can get it. But if the young buck forgot his gear again, I show him how the old fart can still get the job done!

Regards
Old Tue Sep 18, 2007, 11:14am

My first year and a half umpiring I worked the plate almost exclusively, as most of my games were solo jobs. My partner was Harvey the Rabbit and I was Jimmy Stewart.

As I moved along, working 8 to 10 games a week, I would often have the plate for 5 or 6 of these games. We take turns working the plate here depending on who had it the last time you worked with that partner. Many times I would "owe" someone the plate. Sometimes it would just work out that it was my turn with everybody I was scheduled to work with. On days with multiple games with the same partner, we would of course rotate each game. But I know I've worked many more plates than bases over the years.

As much as I love working the plate, when it came time for me to have my turn on the bases, it was usually a welcome treat.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Sep 18, 2007, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Senior officials

Being a senior official working with a younger (less experienced) person can be very rewarding and fun, if you approach it with the right attitude -- and the younger person does also. One of your first responsibilities, if you're gonna facilitate umpire development, is to try and avoid all the crappy, negative things mentioned about seniors above.

Every danged one of us owe -- if we are senior enough to be senior -- our development to the previous generation. Somebody mentored you and took an interest and helped you get where you are know -- and it's time to pay it back by developing umpires who'll still be working in 2050.

A rookie cop on the street has the same authority as a 30 year veteran working beside him -- so does a rookie teacher or a rookie judge or many ofher authoritative positions. It would be ludicrous to believe that because the they are in equal positions that the rookie cop should perform all his duties without benefitting from the veteran's experience.

Likewise, when I work w/ a rookie, I often learn new ways of looking at things, occasionally a new mechanic -- things that they have been exposed to.

Really, it comes down to the attitude of the senior and the junior -- either one can defeat the whole learning experience by coppiing an attitude.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2007, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

In my first season umpiring, I have worked a total of 39 games with a partner so far. In 21 of those I worked the plate, the other 18 the bases. I always offer the choice of plate/bases to my partner and am always happy to work either one.

Since the majority of the games I do I'm working solo, I feel like it's good for me to get the experience on the bases. I probably have a little more fun working the plate, so that's fine too.

Over the course of the season I've worked with partners as young as 18 and as old as 75, and all ages in between. Virtually every umpire I've had as a partner has more experience umpiring than I. Some of my partners have truly been excellent umpires, others not so much.

I always show up at the game site a minimum of 1/2 hour before game time to do a pregame, and I always ask my partner for a postgame critique. If asked, I will offer my partner a postgame critique.

I make my own calls and handle my own situations. Three times during the season I had partners come to me for help on their calls and twice over rule situations. In each case I gave them what I had and left the call to them.

The only time I ever went to a partner was when the defense appealed a check swing (in which case I will pretty much always go to my partner).

JM

Last edited by UmpJM; Tue Sep 18, 2007 at 11:58am.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2007, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Sheeesh. Nobody argued that an umpire that can be walked over is desirable.

There is something between an overbearing pompous egocentric umpire and a dress wearing namby-pamby. Why do you guys have to argue in the extremes?
IOW: I agree.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2007, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM
The only time I ever went to a partner was when the defense appealed a check swing (in which case I will pretty much always go to my partner).

JM
Pretty much always?