Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 18, 2007, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Somewhat definitive!!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 10:07pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa
Really, it comes down to the attitude of the senior and the junior -- either one can defeat the whole learning experience by coppiing an attitude.
That was rightly said and when I was a rook, and some Old Guard wanted to have an intensive pregame and concentrate on him trying to teach me how not to het him in trouble.

It was alike a long, boring lecture, Old Guuard bables about his being avaialble to me, any questions or if I'm getting in trouble (Translation: "Move over, Sonny, we don't want this to get out of hand"). Followed closely by how he will to speak in low tones over behind the water coolers when he thinks (knows) I have screwed the pooch. He will be there for me on judment calls ( yeah right) if I ask his advice.

Of course, if things (iho) might get out of hand, he will calmly whisper to me how to control all. Old Guard wants to control everything. Of course there is this litany of things where he just has to stick his nose in "for the good of the game and for your safety".

Then the 8 yos would take the field.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2007, 10:44pm
Veteran College Umpire

As the senior umpire in almost every game I work, I always offer my partner his choice of plate or bases. If he wants the plate it tells me he is aggressive and eager to show me what he has. If he wants the bases it tells me he is either unsure or he wants to watch (and learn from) me. If he has no preference, I do NOT automatically take the plate (though I do very much enjoy working the plate). I tell him I don't have a preference either, and pull out a coin. "Heads I do it, tails you do it". That removes "choice of the winner" which we've already gone through. I don't offer insight during the game UNLESS it's a major problem "Oh, you DON'T wear a ballbag on the bases?"... but I will ask after the game if he'd like feedback. If he says "No", we part ways. If he says "Yes" I give it to him straight. If I see several things that need work, I will tell him what I saw and I will always suggest he "work on ONE thing at a time" when making changes to the way he works. I say the same thing at clinics - work on ONE thing at a time. It's easier to master one thing and get comfortable and move on to the next item than it is to experiment with a bunch of changes.
That's me rambling....

JJ
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

In my area the games are assigned by an assigner who designates who does the plate. As one of those assigners I go along with this. If I am working with a less experienced partner I will offer advice on his/her work. Also there are very few solo games in this area - only if there are shortages on a particular night and only one is available to work that game.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2007, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
I don't offer insight during the game UNLESS it's a major problem "Oh, you DON'T wear a ballbag on the bases?"... but I will ask after the game if he'd like feedback. If he says "No", we part ways. If he says "Yes" I give it to him straight. If I see several things that need work, I will tell him what I saw and I will always suggest he "work on ONE thing at a time" when making changes to the way he works. I say the same thing at clinics - work on ONE thing at a time. It's easier to master one thing and get comfortable and move on to the next item than it is to experiment with a bunch of changes.
That's me rambling....

JJ
I got feedback once from a D1 umpire working bases with me in a HS game (he had undergone surgery and had not been working lately). He gave me 5 things. I went to work on 4 of them and ignored the 5th because I couldn't agree on that one. My point is you should work on what needs working on, however many it is.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 03:56am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
As the senior umpire in almost every game I work, I always offer my partner his choice of plate or bases. If he wants the plate it tells me he is aggressive and eager to show me what he has. If he wants the bases it tells me he is either unsure or he wants to watch (and learn from) me.
Might be reading a lot into that JJ. I always prefrred the late plate. Easier to stay awake.
Quote:
If he has no preference, I do NOT automatically take the plate (though I do very much enjoy working the plate). I tell him I don't have a preference either, and pull out a coin. "Heads I do it, tails you do it". That removes "choice of the winner" which we've already gone through.
What happens if HE wants to do the flip?
Quote:
I don't offer insight during the game UNLESS it's a major problem "Oh, you DON'T wear a ballbag on the bases?"... but I will ask after the game if he'd like feedback. If he says "No", we part ways. If he says "Yes" I give it to him straight.
Quote:
If I see several things that need work, I will tell him what I saw and I will always suggest he "work on ONE thing at a time" when making changes to the way he works. I say the same thing at clinics - work on ONE thing at a time. It's easier to master one thing and get comfortable and move on to the next item than it is to experiment with a bunch of changes.
That's me rambling....

JJ