View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 18, 2007, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

In my first season umpiring, I have worked a total of 39 games with a partner so far. In 21 of those I worked the plate, the other 18 the bases. I always offer the choice of plate/bases to my partner and am always happy to work either one.

Since the majority of the games I do I'm working solo, I feel like it's good for me to get the experience on the bases. I probably have a little more fun working the plate, so that's fine too.

Over the course of the season I've worked with partners as young as 18 and as old as 75, and all ages in between. Virtually every umpire I've had as a partner has more experience umpiring than I. Some of my partners have truly been excellent umpires, others not so much.

I always show up at the game site a minimum of 1/2 hour before game time to do a pregame, and I always ask my partner for a postgame critique. If asked, I will offer my partner a postgame critique.

I make my own calls and handle my own situations. Three times during the season I had partners come to me for help on their calls and twice over rule situations. In each case I gave them what I had and left the call to them.

The only time I ever went to a partner was when the defense appealed a check swing (in which case I will pretty much always go to my partner).

JM

Last edited by UmpJM; Tue Sep 18, 2007 at 11:58am.