The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 23, 2007, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
If it was that big of a safety issue, then why allow it between innings?

BTW, the ignore list does no good if everyone continues to quote these posters....

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Aug 23, 2007, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino

BTW, the ignore list does no good if everyone continues to quote these posters....
Sorry Bob... duly noted, will comply.
Old Thu Aug 23, 2007, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
If it was that big of a safety issue, then why allow it between innings?
That was the question I asked. I'm still waiting for an answer other than, "that's different" and "it's traditional."
Old Thu Aug 23, 2007, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
That was the question I asked. I'm still waiting for an answer other than, "that's different" and "it's traditional."
Let's not hold our collective breaths.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Aug 23, 2007, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wow. It happens a lot here. Fielder will take advantage of the time out and throw the ball around.

If we go back to the OP, before posters started assuming a relief pitcher was involved, I don't see a drastic difference between that scenario and the one I suggested.

I believe the FED rule is intended to preempt incoming relief pitchers from getting extra throws, not to prevent fielders from "staying loose."
I think the intent is to not delay the game when a pitching change is imminent. Coach comes to the mound tosses the ball to infielders and takes as much time on the mound as the umpire will allow before he brings one of the "tossers" in to pitch. Just like when one is warming up in the bullpen, as soon as it is known a pitching change is coming he needs to stop throwing in the bullpen and get to the mound.

I don't think I have ever seen the coach come out and toss a ball to F3 so he can throw grounders to other infielders to stay loose while coach talks to the pitcher, but I assume it could happen. It happens often that a pitcher leaves the mound, takes another infield position and takes grounders while the other pitcher warms up. F3 is usually throwing grounders only to the former pitcher, unless of course the former pitcher goes to be F3, and then he is the one getting a few catches in and he will throw grounders to all infielders.

While I knew about the 2006 interp, there are very few umpires I know who do and no coaches and I find it easier to just go to the mound when I see a coach throwing a ball to an infielder and say "coach, if you are making a pitching change he needs to come to the mound for warmups" and that generally puts a stop to it. I am not going to stand there watching two infielders throw back and forth for 30 seconds before I go to the mound and make the coach show his cards.

Taking grounders during a pitching change is no more unsafe than taking them every half inning. I see no reason to stop it. If a coach comes out with a ball and tosses to an infielder I will be at the mound when arrives, unless I am on bases, and then I leave it up to my partner.
Old Fri Aug 24, 2007, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
I would be willing to bet $1.00 that if someone could get Kyle McNeely, Chairman of the NFHS Baseball Rules Committee, to answer he would say that the FED does not want any second ball on the field during a dead ball situation for warming up any player.

Regards,
Great. Now we've got a "Tim" betting on baseball.
Old Mon Aug 27, 2007, 07:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
No doubt. He was one of those trying to sell it as "safety issue."

Ridiculous.
I had a coach in a FED game a few years ago come out after the first half-inning with a fungo bat. I told him to get rid of it. He asked why and I simply told him that there's a rule against it. He didn't believe me. Silly coach.