The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 25, 2007, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Don't bag on LL umpires for their theatrics..

Have you guys been watching "The Bronx is Burning"? I hope you've taken note of the now comical calls by the men in the maroon plate coats. Absolutely hysterical stuff. They make Leslie Nielson look like a freaking statue. This is real footage from the 70's, and the punchouts are classic. Don't attempt any of these moves at your home field kids. You'll hurt yourselves.
Old Sat Aug 25, 2007, 11:11am
Do not give a damn!!

I understand the point that you are trying to make. The reality is that you cannot judge any officiating based on what was done 20+ years ago. A lot has changed in multiple sports. There is more scrutiny which brings more standardized mechanics and more standardize philosophies. I was watching an old Super Bowl on the NFL Network and the officials were doing things that we would never allow today. And when I see ESPN Classic and look at what I see officials in basketball do, I see similar things. This is just the way it is across the board when you look at mechanics and even uniforms. The standards were not the same and I cannot think of many sports that do the same things they did 20 and 30 years ago.

What people are judging the LL Umpires for is based on today's standards.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 27, 2007, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

the way it was done 25 yrs ago ISNT a excuse for doing that today---you might as wel be the bassmister and want the balloon back,the red coats, ebelcoes, yada yada

thats why its called progress"--in that we are suposed to be BETTER 25 yrs later, not the same
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.