The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Question Can they do this?

I was calling a FED game last night where the coach of the defensive team requested time out and came to the mound to talk to his infielders. As he approached the mound, he threw a ball to his F5 who played catch with F6 as the coach talked with the pitcher on the mound. I told him he could not do that. He stopped without questioning me, but after the game, I decided to look this up to be sure. I cannot find anything anywhere that does not allow this. Any help?
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

If there is a rule that prohibits, I am unaware of it. Personally, I am going to ask for the players to stop.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire99
I cannot find anything anywhere that does not allow this. Any help?
Perhaps you couldn't find it because it isn't there.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Guess I am happy I didn't look.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Ump
If there is a rule that prohibits, I am unaware of it. Personally, I am going to ask for the players to stop.
Why ... who cares what they do during their allowed time? As long as no one's pitching to a catcher, and they don't delay the game any more than a normal conference would because of their actions, it's none of my business.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

I do, get over it. Go to work, I am. Do you?
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Specifically allowed in NCAA as long as both players are already in the game.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I do, get over it. Go to work, I am. Do you?
You seem to be motivated to pick a fight with me... I'm not taking the bait.

Just wondering why it would bother you enough that you'd feel the need to make up rules to justify your need to prove that you're in charge.

It's a non issue, and not against the rules at all.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

its a issue when fit-yet-interested ump needs to stack uphis post count
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was calling a FED game last night where the coach of the defensive team requested time out and came to the mound to talk to his infielders. As he approached the mound, he threw a ball to his F5 who played catch with F6 as the coach talked with the pitcher on the mound. I told him he could not do that. He stopped without questioning me, but after the game, I decided to look this up to be sure. I cannot find anything anywhere that does not allow this. Any help?
Yes, they can do this as long as they do not delay the game.

There was a time that some FED clinicians tried to sell prohibiting it as a "safety" concern. One told me that there should only be one ball on the field. When I pointed out to him that we had no concern of such safety issues when the infielders warmed up at the beginning of each half inning, the response he could come up with was: "that's different, that's traditional."

Bottom line, it's legal. Only an OOO would try to stop it.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
From the FED 2006 Interpretations:
SITUATION 10: Coach of Team A requests and is granted time for a defensive charged conference. As he goes to the mound to talk with his pitcher, he tosses a ball to his third baseman and tells him to begin warming up with his shortstop in case he is needed to pitch. The coach leaves the mound without removing the pitcher. RULING: This is not allowed. A charged conference permits a coach or his non-playing representative to confer with a defensive player or players but does not permit any warm-up pitches by a player who is not the pitcher. (3-4-1)
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Yep,

Thanks to Blue37. I knew I had seen this ruling somewhere but I could not find it.

A challenge with the new interps each year is that the NFHS kindasorta hides them when the new year breaks.

Regards,
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Thanks to Blue37. I knew I had seen this ruling somewhere but I could not find it.

A challenge with the new interps each year is that the NFHS kindasorta hides them when the new year breaks.

Regards,
You have the connections now, but in the recent past we have been told this applies to what the wording addressed, a player not the pitcher throwing warming up pitches, not F6 throwing to F3.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37
From the FED 2006 Interpretations:
SITUATION 10: Coach of Team A requests and is granted time for a defensive charged conference. As he goes to the mound to talk with his pitcher, he tosses a ball to his third baseman and tells him to begin warming up with his shortstop in case he is needed to pitch. The coach leaves the mound without removing the pitcher. RULING: This is not allowed. A charged conference permits a coach or his non-playing representative to confer with a defensive player or players but does not permit any warm-up pitches by a player who is not the pitcher. (3-4-1)
I wish they hadn't inserted the part about bold above in there.
Old Thu Aug 23, 2007, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I wish they hadn't inserted the part about bold above in there.
Why not ... the ruling was supposed to specifically address someone warming up as a pitcher ... not just two guys throwing a ball. If they hadn't inserted it, OOO's would use this ruling to apply to the OP, like you seem to want to.

If you're interested ... this ruling doesn't FIT.