The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6

Not really, just in need of a pivot move that works, which Steve has pointed out to me.
So you think with your limited experience you are ready to parcel mechanics advice now that someone explained a pivot moved? So, now you everything?

Not only are you in serious need of training, you are in serious need of a visit to reality.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Not really, just in need of a pivot move that works, which Steve has pointed out to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
So you think with your limited experience you are ready to parcel mechanics advice now that someone explained a pivot moved? So, now you everything?

Not only are you in serious need of training, you are in serious need of a visit to reality.
Read, repeat, yawn.

Umpiring Baseball Canadian Style
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder
Doesn't EVERYONE check their fields? It's expected in ANY area I've worked, not just the one I'm responsible for.
OK, here's a FYI, the world is unlike ChowerLand, no, most umpires don't have time to check fields especially when the teams are warming up on them? Unlike you, I can't get to a field 3/4 to an hour beforehand. I work.

Quote:
And yes ... assuming it's a normal game and I'm there 45 minutes ahead of time (which is normal around here), I do check the ENTIRE field.
Note word above.....WORK.

Btw, you check all the way up the RF line? How about short RF where you run out on fly balls? Field conditions change, do you check the field before every inning?Why not? Field conditions change. ENTIRE field? No one believes that, why lie?

Quote:
Do I "oversee my partner"? No - I "oversee" all of the umpires in my area, and they know that this is a priority - not just for me, for ALL umpires.
But you force your partner to do a second field review after you have done the ENTIRE field yourself? Whatatever for? Don't you trust your own judgment? Or do you get your jollies pushing your weight around?

Quote:
If I ever find you working for me, and you display this kind of disdain for what I think is the very basics of our responsibilities, I don't think I'd be worrying about you checking fields much longer - you'd not be on the schedule for long.
-Burp-

Quote:
If I'm working in someone else's area, and I find an umpire with your attitude, no ... I'm not going to TELL you to do it - I'm going to ask you if you're coming with me though (of course .. you probably showed up with 5 minutes to go before gametime, and have to run to your car for your hat ... so I would have already checked the field for you).
Chowder, when you WORK or have family or something else to do other than umpiring, getting to the ballpark on time is an issue. Now you know.

Last edited by Interested Ump; Wed Aug 22, 2007 at 08:21pm.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
While I like the fact that you come well ahead of time and are prepared, it is up to the grounds keepers or city crew to check the field for holes. What if you were to come across a hole down the right field line, and there was no dirt available to get it filled? I certainly hope that you would not cancel a ballgame for something as trivial as this.
You, as the umpire, are responsible once the game starts. If you knowingly allowed a game to be played when there are holes in the field you will be held liable if somebody is injured. I don't consider risking my house a 'trivial' issue.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
fitump56 . . . you are a odd sort.

When you become an umpire get back too me.

Regards,
You don't have him on ignore yet? That's odd.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
You, as the umpire, are responsible once the game starts. If you knowingly allowed a game to be played when there are holes in the field you will be held liable if somebody is injured. I don't consider risking my house a 'trivial' issue.
Sage advice. Tempered with your comment on what you have to lose. Hoping there is insurance to buffer that potential loss.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
fitump56 . . . you are a odd sort.

When you become an umpire get back too me.

Regards,
Tim, the real problem is that I am much more the umpire than damn near all of your clique here. That's what really bothers you and your forum friends. If I were you and your friends, I would react the same way to Donovan fitump56and to me. You and the others have years invested in dominatiing this forum, most of it with honest intent. The dishonesty of your presence comes whenever your honesty, or lack of it, is challenged. Your agenda fast forwards into control freak mode. The rubberized weapons used are childish attempts to degrade posters who don't smoke in the boys bathrooms with your clique.

The really, truly sad part of your absurd exercise is that The Clique will drag down any attempts to introduce any non-Clique concepts, why are you so threatened?

Someone has to say this to you (plural) so that you can ignore it; life is much more pleasurable when you allow for the expression, not the suppression, of ideas. The mark of an educated umpire is the openness of his mind.

There, you have got your FYI, proceed normally, I meant abnormally, of course.
Old Thu Aug 23, 2007, 01:10am

Quote:
Don't be so hard on yourself. You didn't look that big in your picture at ABUA.
Uh, that picture was taken in 1990. I wasn't over 50 or fat then. I was 34 and had a 32 waist.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Aug 23, 2007, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Uh, that picture was taken in 1990. I wasn't over 50 or fat then. I was 34 and had a 32 waist.

LOL... yeah... I remember those days myself. I even had less of a forehead then to!
Old Thu Aug 23, 2007, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Yep, I remember back in the good old day when I was in shape:

Picture not available due to overcomplication.

Last edited by canadaump6; Thu Aug 23, 2007 at 02:14am.
Old Thu Aug 23, 2007, 06:13am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm!
Fitump - Interested Ump......

IGNORE list has a new name!