The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
The pivot at first base may be one of the most over-rated mechanics out there. It makes it easier to lose sight of the ball, and is a broken ankle waiting to happen.
On small fields, "A" is optional for us. Most umpires have chosen to eliminate it.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Wow jicecone you are funny. Good one.

But seriously, I never said an umpire shouldn't come into the infield. The best way to do it is to cut into the infield, peak over your right shoulder, but don't turn completely towards first base and don't pivot!

Last edited by canadaump6; Tue Aug 21, 2007 at 11:57pm.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 03:40am

Quote:

But seriously, I never said an umpire shouldn't come into the infield. The best way to do it is to cut into the infield, peak over your right shoulder, but don't turn completely towards first base and don't pivot!
If you are old, fat, and over 50 like me, the safest and surest way is the way you describe here (almost). I still pivot when I have lots of time, like with a slower BR running. With speedy guys, I find myself fortunate to get 6 feet out on the grass before the BR hits the base.

If you are younger and in better shape, go ahead and come in and pivot. That's still the preferred mechanic. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, please.

What are you peeking over your right shoulder for? Certainly not to see the BR touch first, unless you are a contortionist. For the non-pivot move, you run in looking at the ball over your right shoulder until you get on the grass, then peek over your left shoulder at the BR touching first. Then you cut an oblique angle off your left foot and run parallel to the grass line toward 2nd base.

For the pivot, the trick to not "falling on your butt" or "breaking your ankle," or any other excuse not to execute proper mechanics is to slow down as you come to your pivot, and execute the move while under control at all times. Don't just wildly run full speed and attempt to do some fancy pirouette. That's how you get hurt. Stop and plant the right foot, take a drop step with the left, pivot smoothly, watch the BR touch or not touch, then eyes back to the ball.

From this point, you are in perfect position to either continue ahead of the runner toward 2nd, or return back on a neat little 45 degree angle toward the edge of the cutout to take the runner back into 1st base.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Actually, once that ball is hit out of the infield I can care less about it unless I go out for a catch/no catch. I am hustling into the infield for two reason's: 1. See the touch at first. 2. Be ready for the runner if they advance to other bases. My partner will let me know if it is a catch or no catch and by then I will direct my attention to the location of the ball if I need to. (Two Man)

There is no reason both umpires have to have there eye on the ball at all times, at the same time.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If you are in danger of getting hurt on a pivot, you're clearly doing it wrong. OTOH, why are you pivoting from the coaches' box anyway, canadacoach?

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder
If you are in danger of getting hurt on a pivot, you're clearly doing it wrong.
Most pivot injuries come from poor field conditions not the athletic inabilities of the pivoter.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
You're right. I need to backtrack and say all plays 'deserving' of a call should get a call. .

Tim.
I wondered.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Ump
Most pivot injuries come from poor field conditions not the athletic inabilities of the pivoter.
Not if you check the field first. Never happened to me, or to anyone working for me or with me.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

The number or umpires who check the field are few and far between. Field conditions change.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The number or umpires who check the field are few and far between. Field conditions change.
Maybe true where you are fitump, but I ALWAYS check, and anyone who works for me does as well. Exceptions might be the occasional game after a timed game in a tourney that ran long, but that's rare, and I USUALLY check 3 spots even in those games - and my pivot point is one of them (assuming I'm BU or U1).

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Maybe true where you are fitump, but I ALWAYS check, and anyone who works for me does as well. Exceptions might be the occasional game after a timed game in a tourney that ran long, but that's rare, and I USUALLY check 3 spots even in those games - and my pivot point is one of them (assuming I'm BU or U1).
Bully for you. I believe every word. All the way up the RF line? How about short RF where you run out on fly balls? Field conditions change, do you check the field before every inning? Why not? Field conditions change. You also oversee your partner to make certain he checks the field? How fun are you to work with? Tell you what, you come waltzing over to tell me to check the field, you better bring more with you than that crappy smirk on your face with you, Chowder.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bully for you. I believe every word. All the way up the RF line? How about short RF where you run out on fly balls? Field conditions change, do you check the field before every inning? Why not? Field conditions change. You also oversee your partner to make certain he checks the field? How fun are you to work with? Tell you what, you come waltzing over to tell me to check the field, you better bring more with you than that crappy smirk on your face with you, Chowder.
I'm not surprised at all at the snarkiness you've replied with, fit ...

But I am surprised this is the issue you'd choose to be snarky about.

Doesn't EVERYONE check their fields? It's expected in ANY area I've worked, not just the one I'm responsible for.

And yes ... assuming it's a normal game and I'm there 45 minutes ahead of time (which is normal around here), I do check the ENTIRE field. I'm not just checking for me ... but for everyone. Occasionally we're able to point out something to someone before gametime, where it can be addressed (pothole, or dry cracked earth (happens in Texas a lot - not this year so much), hole in a fence, etc).

Do I "oversee my partner"? No - I "oversee" all of the umpires in my area, and they know that this is a priority - not just for me, for ALL umpires.

If I ever find you working for me, and you display this kind of disdain for what I think is the very basics of our responsibilities, I don't think I'd be worrying about you checking fields much longer - you'd not be on the schedule for long. If I'm working in someone else's area, and I find an umpire with your attitude, no ... I'm not going to TELL you to do it - I'm going to ask you if you're coming with me though (of course .. you probably showed up with 5 minutes to go before gametime, and have to run to your car for your hat ... so I would have already checked the field for you).

(PS - Football officials do this to ... even on turf ... and that field is considerably larger)

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You are in serious need of training.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
Most of my training was like Tim_c's. Most of the time I am loud because I have hearing loss.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2007, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
For the pivot, the trick to not "falling on your butt" or "breaking your ankle," or any other excuse not to execute proper mechanics is to slow down as you come to your pivot, and execute the move while under control at all times. Don't just wildly run full speed and attempt to do some fancy pirouette. That's how you get hurt. Stop and plant the right foot, take a drop step with the left, pivot smoothly, watch the BR touch or not touch, then eyes back to the ball.
I was taught by Baseball Ontario to pivot on my left foot. Left, right, left is the way they teach it in Canada. Now I see why I had so many problems with it and will go to pivoting with the right foot as you suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
If you are old, fat, and over 50 like me, the safest and surest way is the way you describe here (almost). I still pivot when I have lots of time, like with a slower BR running. With speedy guys, I find myself fortunate to get 6 feet out on the grass before the BR hits the base.
Don't be so hard on yourself. You didn't look that big in your picture at ABUA. To a certain degree, I understand the challenges of intense exercise and proper nutrition as I try to put on muscle. I'm 5'5 and 135 freakin pounds!

Quote:
If I ever find you working for me, and you display this kind of disdain for what I think is the very basics of our responsibilities, I don't think I'd be worrying about you checking fields much longer - you'd not be on the schedule for long.
Ooooooo internet tough guy! I have my doubts about the umpiring abilities of anyone who needs to boost his ego online.

While I like the fact that you come well ahead of time and are prepared, it is up to the grounds keepers or city crew to check the field for holes. What if you were to come across a hole down the right field line, and there was no dirt available to get it filled? I certainly hope that you would not cancel a ballgame for something as trivial as this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
You are in serious need of training.
Not really, just in need of a pivot move that works, which Steve has pointed out to me.