The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 09:39pm

When a player asks if the pitch he swung at was a strike, he's not trying to be a smart aleck, he is looking to improve his idea of the strike zone. They have been asking this question in the majors for a long time now, and occassionaly players ask me "was that a strike?" I will tell them the truth. If I am sure the pitch was a strike I tell them yes, if not, I tell them no. If it was a really close pitch, and they foul it off, I may say something like, "pretty close pitch, good thing I didn't have to call it," and laugh. That usually gets a chuckle out of the hitter, and it's all good.

If anyone else wants to do it their own way, great. It isn't questioning the umpire to ask where a pitch was if it was swung at.

Now try to ask me if a called strike was a strike and see what happens.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Sat Aug 18, 2007 at 09:42pm.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
When a player asks if the pitch he swung at was a strike, he's not trying to be a smart aleck, he is looking to improve his idea of the strike zone. They have been asking this question in the majors for a long time now, and occassionaly players ask me "was that a strike?" I will tell them the truth. If I am sure the pitch was a strike I tell them yes, if not, I tell them no. If it was a really close pitch, and they foul it off, I may say something like, "pretty close pitch, good thing I didn't have to call it," and laugh. That usually gets a chuckle out of the hitter, and it's all good.

If anyone else wants to do it their own way, great. It isn't questioning the umpire to ask where a pitch was if it was swung at.

I've seen catchers get pissed when umpires answer that question. They may have found they can get a particular batter to go for one a little outside and low and they want him to be swinging at that.

Why tell the batter he's swinging at what otherwise would be a ball? It seems to me that's the coach's job.

When I'm asked, I replay it in my head, out loud, "Let's see pitch comes in, batter swings and misses...yep, that's a strike."
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 10:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
I've seen catchers get pissed when umpires answer that question. They may have found they can get a particular batter to go for one a little outside and low and they want him to be swinging at that.
Good point, I never thought of it that way. I guess I'm lucky I never had a catcher let me take one direct for doing that.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
That's usually when you break out the "ask your coach, he seems to have a better view from the dugout than I do here, hmmm?"
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas
That's usually when you break out the "ask your coach, he seems to have a better view from the dugout than I do here, hmmm?"
Or "Ask your Dad. He's been operating the K-zone for ESPN since the first pitch."