The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

You guys are taking their question literally, and by the letter. What they are meaning to ask is really whether or not the pitch was in the "official" strike zone, or if they chased a pitch that would have otherwise been called a ball.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

In an adult league, I gave an honest answer. In HS down, the pitch was always in the strike zone. They had to explain why they swung when they returned to the bench.

Bob
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

in a recent game--batter takes pitch for called STRIKE 2.

him: 'where was THAT?'

me: 'in the strike zone'
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
On a swing and a miss there's no need for me to judge the pitch. The batter has already made my judgment moot.
I'm not saying that the pitch needs to be "judged". I'm commenting on the fact that you didnt know if it wouldve been a ball/strike if no swing by batter. Again, how can that be? Why wouldnt one know, since the catcher caught the ball? How hard is that?

Last edited by archangel; Fri Aug 17, 2007 at 04:16pm.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel
I'm not saying that the pitch needs to be "judged". I'm commenting on the fact that you didnt know if it wouldve been a ball/strike if no swing by batter. Again, how can that be? Why wouldnt one know, since the catcher caught the ball? How hard is that?
What walt is trying to say is that once the batter swings his attention is not to the details of where the ball crossed the plate, or where it was caught - it doesn't matter any more. He's saying that the batter has allowed him to pay attention to other details, like did it touch the bat, did he hit the catcher's mitt...whatever, but where it crossed is not important.

He's not saying he doesn't know what the pitch would have been. He's saying that once the batter swings he no longer concentrates on where the ball is in the zone (or out), so he doesn't make that judgment, he doesn't register "that was a strike" as he would had the better not swung.

When I'm asked, I answer. I don't have a problem with that. I don't have a probelm with walt's reply either, or anyone else's for that matter - except the OP reference to an EJ for asking - that's way over the top.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel
At least 4 other posters agreed with my answer - and yet you have issue with what I had to say. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong on this but to single me out makes no sense at all.

I don't have to know if the pitch was a ball or a strike. The batter took that decision out of my hands.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPRempe
You guys are taking their question literally, and by the letter. What they are meaning to ask is really whether or not the pitch was in the "official" strike zone, or if they chased a pitch that would have otherwise been called a ball.
I think most of us have played enough ball to understand why the question.

Were just negotiating the response!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Old Fri Aug 17, 2007, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

I give them an honest answer. And I always have an honest opinion based on the pitch. I don't have short term memory loss.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
With regard to the ejection issue that I brought into the discussion, it comes from a situation I had this spring, where one team was displaying quite a bit of disgust with my strike zone. They started off fairly mild (the facial expressions, the shaking of the head), it grew a little by the 3rd (glares directed at me, occasional "you've got to be kidding me), and in the 4th grows to some decent chirping from the bench. After the 4th, I attempted some preventative officiating and let the coach whose team was complaining know that his teams dislike of my calls was closing in on a line that shouldn't be crossed (basically a warning to cut it out). Well, in the 5th, the 1st batter stikes out looking, second batter steps in and says before the first pitch "I guess I better start swinging now", takes a ball way outside and says "I really thought that was a strike". I gave him a quick warning and he then proceeds to swing at the next 3 pitches striking out on slider down and way outside. As he is heading back to the bench he yells back at me "Was that going to be a strike too?" and before I can answer gives the hand wave suggesting he doesn't care what I have to say. Considering I had warned the coach and then warned the player in question, who then showed me up by the way he asked the question, I dumped him. His coach had no complaints at all. This is what I'm talking about, not dumping players just for asking, that's fine by me.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner
With regard to the ejection issue that I brought into the discussion, it comes from a situation I had this spring, where one team was displaying quite a bit of disgust with my strike zone. They started off fairly mild (the facial expressions, the shaking of the head), it grew a little by the 3rd (glares directed at me, occasional "you've got to be kidding me), and in the 4th grows to some decent chirping from the bench. After the 4th, I attempted some preventative officiating and let the coach whose team was complaining know that his teams dislike of my calls was closing in on a line that shouldn't be crossed (basically a warning to cut it out). Well, in the 5th, the 1st batter stikes out looking, second batter steps in and says before the first pitch "I guess I better start swinging now", takes a ball way outside and says "I really thought that was a strike". I gave him a quick warning and he then proceeds to swing at the next 3 pitches striking out on slider down and way outside. As he is heading back to the bench he yells back at me "Was that going to be a strike too?" and before I can answer gives the hand wave suggesting he doesn't care what I have to say. Considering I had warned the coach and then warned the player in question, who then showed me up by the way he asked the question, I dumped him. His coach had no complaints at all. This is what I'm talking about, not dumping players just for asking, that's fine by me.
This is a different situation than what you mentioned in the OP. The OP questioned the batter asking where the pitch was. It read that you would EJ if they asked too often. I think the inclusion of the EJ comment was out of context and lead readers to believe you were being OOO.

In the sitch above, I wouldn't have let it get to the fourth inning - I would have issued a warning with the glares and "are you kidding comments." After that - dump the next cocky prick that even looks at you cross-eyed. Then you could have dumped your EJ player on his first comment.

"I guess I better start swinging now"
"Nope, but it's good advice for your substitute...Coach I need a batter, this player's no longer in this game."
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
After re-reading my OP, I agree that I probably didn't give a good example of why I would eject a player for asking the question. In regards to letting it go as long as it did, I didn't think anything had really come close to the line until it started coming from the bench where it was obvious to all that they were challenging my calls. Otherwise everything was very minor in my opinion.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Have you said wht age group/level these kids are? I missed it if you did.

In regards to reaching the line...that line isn't very far away for a 12 year old, but HS varsity might have some more room. What I mean is one look from a 12 yo and I've got the warning issued to the coach - I'm not taking any disrespect from a kid of that age, period.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
"Looked purdy good."
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They started off fairly mild (the facial expressions, the shaking of the head), it grew a little by the 3rd (glares directed at me, occasional "you've got to be kidding me), and in the 4th grows to some decent chirping from the bench. After the 4th, I attempted some preventative officiating and let the coach whose team was complaining know that his teams dislike of my calls was closing in on a line that shouldn't be crossed (basically a warning to cut it out).
In the 3rd, tell the coach you will tolerate no more comments about balls and strikes. Don't wait till the 4th to tell him comments are "closing in on a line that shouldn't be crossed."
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
After the 4th, I attempted some preventative officiating and let the coach whose team was complaining know that his teams dislike of my calls was closing in on a line that shouldn't be crossed (basically a warning to cut it out). Well, in the 5th, the 1st batter stikes out looking, second batter steps in and says before the first pitch "I guess I better start swinging now", takes a ball way outside and says "I really thought that was a strike". I gave him a quick warning

How many times are you going to warn someone?

Don't "basically" do anything. Give a warning. After you said what you did, if someone pops off from the dugout, what are you going to say...."Now you are CLOSER to that line."

If (when) it gets to the point you think it should stop, warn the coach or the bench or whomever, and don't take anymore.

Preventative umpiring is great in some situations, but it shouldn't take the place of your sack.