Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 03:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I am like Garth. I work three sports.

When June hits I do not work a single baseball game most of the summer. I do work a tournament for a few days during the end of July and early August.

When June starts I work exclusively basketball and I attend many basketball camps.

I am involved in a football class that runs from early July into August.

Just like Garth, I am not sure what winding down means.

Peace
I work 3 sports, too, but my only overlap is baseball overlapping football for a few weeks. I wouldn't touch summer basketball for anything.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

High School baseball starts the middle of Feb., travel ball starts the end of March, July has three World Series events, August is time off unless I can find a tourney somewhere, Sept is fall ball (some through Oct - but I don't work much past the 1st weekend). Winter is clinics, reading, etc - longing for Feb.

Plan (should say hope) to get into college ball in the spring which will start the season at the beginning of Feb (a couple of weeks earlier than usual).

I don't wind down, it just grinds to a halt.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman
Since I got my sanity back , I would like to know how do you usually wind down your season going into winter?? (BTW, I'd love to attend the Jim Evans Classic if I could afford it).

What I usually do is work some grade school parochial ball ($25/game) in September to wind the season down for me.
I echo TEE, and wonder when it's time to "call it a day"

From the middle of March through the end of July - 1st week in August I am going non-stop

When one officiates, one basically has "no life" as one is officiating 7 days a week with at least double dips if not 3 games a day every Friday/ Sat/Sun

I look forward to the "winding down" How individuals officate 2 or more sports I do not know. Also, it's not so much the officiating but dealing with the "other" stuff that goes along with it.

Pete Booth
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
When one officiates, one basically has "no life" as one is officiating 7 days a week with at least double dips if not 3 games a day every Friday/ Sat/Sun.

How individuals officate 2 or more sports I do not know.

Pete Booth
Pete:

Left out in my description of working three sports:

Baseball and all but varsity football and varsity basketball, are played in the afternoons. I am usually home by the time my wife gets home.

I sat out ten years when my boys were young to be there for them and with them.

My lovely bride and I take at least five weeks vacation during each year out of town, just the two of us.

My officiating revenue is spent on those vacations and gifts for my boys.

As a teacher, I am still home during the summer more than not, even on days I work games.

Contrary to what you assume, I enjoy a great life away from officiating with time for my family, my photography, bicycling, writing and taking classes from time to time. There are approximately 17 hours in my waking day and I use all of them.
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

I go full out from May (Clinics) through to mid Sept with Baseball Umpiring only.
To top it off I am the assigner for our area which at times is a full time job.
I manage to cope as I am retired from normal work. Wind down in fall and watch Baseball on TV. Start preparing for next season in late Winter/ early Spring.
In my area (Nova Scotia, Canada) baseball runs from about May to late Sept only.