The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

I saw a lilte of a game the other nite--might of been GA ver AL? the umps were in RED shirts (err) and i couldnt' stand the PUs lowzone...pitches literary kicking up a CLOUD of dust at the batters' feet were STRIKES.

is that normal for LL?
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.

Last edited by UmpLarryJohnson; Mon Aug 13, 2007 at 03:00pm.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson
I saw a lilte of a game the other nite--might of been GA ver AL? the umps were in RED shirts (err) and i couldnt' stand the PUs lowzone...pitches literary kicking up a CLOUD of dust at the batters' feet were STRIKES.

is that normal for LL?

The shirts were most likely picked by the TD and given to the "blues".

The catcher's set up further back in "small ball" so a pitch that hit the ground when the catcher caught it could have very well been at the knees or higher when it crossed the plate.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

hmm. well ok i deffer to those who know--i like the HIGH strike but i just can not get my mind around calling dustcloud pitches STRIKES at this level.....!
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson

is that normal for LL?
Yeah, the red shirts along with the red shirts of both teams looked great.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
LL Regionals and LLWS

Agree on the Red. Tim cured me of Red Fever (stayin alive!) a few months ago.

MD v PA, LL Regional @ Bristol:
Anyone see this one? The HPU's call for the called strike were a bit, ..... long.
Out of position when making calls at home.
"DEADBALL - DEADBALL - DEADBALL" on each HBP.

Old Mon Aug 13, 2007, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
I saw the game as well Richon. I can't even watch the LLWS anymore because of the umpiring. It just bothers me too much. I can still manage to watch NCAA softball finals, but thats mainly because of the CF camera angle on the pitcher... those umpires are just as annoying.

The guy that had the plate tonight was over the top...
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 06:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcichon
Tim cured me of Red Fever (stayin alive!) a few months ago.
We have a saying in this part of the country, "Red is Dead."
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

unfortunately

around here red is still in use and not just for LL/Small Diamond.

Saw some Legion guys (I think they were Hartford Board) with Red jerseys on a 17U game once or twice.
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

When I was the UIC for our LL district and we hosted district and sectional games, we used the umpires that were highly recommend that worked during the regular season. I did evaluate umpires during the regular season and also received recommendations from the various leagues within the district. These are the umpires that should get 1st shot at working the tournament before bringing in other umpires who have not worked the regular season (at least on the small diamond).

On a different subject matter regarding LL umpires, there is an umpire who has volunteered his time for 48 years and is currently 87 years old. He is still umpiring LL. I have tried to get this man recognized by LL at the LLWS.
They refuse to do it. They state that he must be nominated for recognition by the local district administrator. This is ridiculos. Here you have a man who volunteers his time for over 48 years, and you have to go thru all the red tape just to get recognition. Plus he is probably the oldest umpire in LL. This man still works the district tournament, but only the bases since his back doesn't allow his to work the plate, and the regular season. I sent a copyof an interview a local Chicago TV station did on this umpire, with the hopes that maybe LL will recognize this man at the LLWS. Well I haven't heard from LL as to whether they are going to recognize him.
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

How?

Whitehat, when you say you tried to have him reconized, how so?

Did you speak with the Reginal Director? How about the Regional UIC or Assignor? Someone there must have heard of his work before now.

To get to the skinny, you need some horsepower to cut thru the dirt. You won't reach anyone of consequence until you get some help from people they will listen to.

Good Luck
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteHat Ref
When I was the UIC for our LL district and we hosted district and sectional games, we used the umpires that were highly recommend that worked during the regular season. I did evaluate umpires during the regular season and also received recommendations from the various leagues within the district. These are the umpires that should get 1st shot at working the tournament before bringing in other umpires who have not worked the regular season (at least on the small diamond).

On a different subject matter regarding LL umpires, there is an umpire who has volunteered his time for 48 years and is currently 87 years old. He is still umpiring LL. I have tried to get this man recognized by LL at the LLWS.
They refuse to do it. They state that he must be nominated for recognition by the local district administrator. This is ridiculos. Here you have a man who volunteers his time for over 48 years, and you have to go thru all the red tape just to get recognition. Plus he is probably the oldest umpire in LL. This man still works the district tournament, but only the bases since his back doesn't allow his to work the plate, and the regular season. I sent a copyof an interview a local Chicago TV station did on this umpire, with the hopes that maybe LL will recognize this man at the LLWS. Well I haven't heard from LL as to whether they are going to recognize him.
I understand your pain. LL is a very difficult organization to navigate at times. What I have found is that it's best to utilize the DA (District Administrator) up front, as that person MUST sign off before the regional admin will sign off.

It will never get to Andy K without this happening (He will kick it right back down through region to district). If the DA refuses to sign off then your pretty much out of luck unless you have some way of getting to Andy K.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 05:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Been there, kinda

I'll betcha I have done more small-ball games than most anyone in our august body of posters.

I have worked the Bristol ER, with an asterisk--it was in consolation games, back before there was pool play. No big deal. Have done four other ER tourneys, but in softball.

I, too, have a difficult time watching these games. Too many umps are using my regular-season li'l-squirt strike zone.

Hey, I'll give a LL tourney pitcher up to mid-stomach. Occasionally, when F2 grabs a curve with his fingers pointing down, I'll strike it. A nice couple of inches on the outside corner for a c*ckshot? Sure. OTOH, the plate guy I saw last week in Bristol balled 95% of curveballs he saw, and I had a vantage point in the VIP area behind the plate.

The mechanics--especially when guys use the same basic stuff for swinging and called strikes--drive me crazy.

I saw "Santa" in person at a CT-ME game. DISCLAIMER: I'm sure this old salt has been umpiring in East Petunia for 48 years, and that he is one swell guy.

BUT: This person has no business umpiring ANY baseball game at ANY level. The poor soul (U2 that night) had the mobility of a phone booth. He could NOT get into the infield (as they make these guys do) on ANY batted ball. He could BARELY bend over to adjust a base. PLUS, he almost got decapitated by a soft liner when he was in Deep C. Plus, the beard alone shows you how "dedicated" an umpire Santy was.

Before you small-ballers pillory me, I am more worried about Mr. Kringle's safety than anything else. But, I've said this before: Kids and coaches work too hard to get to this level of play to have Uncle Bumps waddling around on the field of play--even on a foul line.

A good bud (and excellent, all-level official) once worked in Bristol. He told me that out of the dozen or so umps there, only two or three "got it."

I know how to fix the regional umpiring deal, at least in 12U boys. But I'm not telling anyone for free. And W-port will never pay me for this, or for that matter listen to a word I have to say.

The best LL umps, IMHO, also do at least HS varsity and Legion ball.

As the WS unfolds, the embarrassment continues.

Ace
Old Wed Aug 15, 2007, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Ace

Doc will listen, no? He seems reasonable.
I dont know Frank too much and therefore, don't know his clout.

I would think one of those guys would have enough politics to get to Konyar. Or at least the LL Congress which won't convene for another two years.

-- Rob
Old Sat Aug 18, 2007, 09:16pm

Did anyone else think the PU in the Texas/Minnesota game had a very annoying strike call, as well as annoying foul and ball calls? It was really annoying my wife. It was comical to listen to her complain about it.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25