View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 14, 2007, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteHat Ref
When I was the UIC for our LL district and we hosted district and sectional games, we used the umpires that were highly recommend that worked during the regular season. I did evaluate umpires during the regular season and also received recommendations from the various leagues within the district. These are the umpires that should get 1st shot at working the tournament before bringing in other umpires who have not worked the regular season (at least on the small diamond).

On a different subject matter regarding LL umpires, there is an umpire who has volunteered his time for 48 years and is currently 87 years old. He is still umpiring LL. I have tried to get this man recognized by LL at the LLWS.
They refuse to do it. They state that he must be nominated for recognition by the local district administrator. This is ridiculos. Here you have a man who volunteers his time for over 48 years, and you have to go thru all the red tape just to get recognition. Plus he is probably the oldest umpire in LL. This man still works the district tournament, but only the bases since his back doesn't allow his to work the plate, and the regular season. I sent a copyof an interview a local Chicago TV station did on this umpire, with the hopes that maybe LL will recognize this man at the LLWS. Well I haven't heard from LL as to whether they are going to recognize him.
I understand your pain. LL is a very difficult organization to navigate at times. What I have found is that it's best to utilize the DA (District Administrator) up front, as that person MUST sign off before the regional admin will sign off.

It will never get to Andy K without this happening (He will kick it right back down through region to district). If the DA refuses to sign off then your pretty much out of luck unless you have some way of getting to Andy K.