The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

First of all getting set in a good stationary, yet comfortable position, that enables you to see the zone completely is very important. With some catchers, this may take a while to adjust if they have'nt been taught to let you see the zone.

I personnaly watch the ball into the glove, decide where it is and how it was caught by the catcher, announce the pitch and then stand and signal if a strike or stay set if a ball.

Sometimes a lot of new officials feel as though they need to announce and signal at the same time. This tends to hurry you by wanting to get that signal out. I think it is the old itailian technique of wanting to talk with your hands.

Whenever I found myself calling a pitch to fast, it is because I stand up too soon. Stay set and announce and then signal appropriately.

Also, how the ball is caught is very influential. 90% of the time it will guide you to the proper call.

See the zone.
Watch the pitch.
Watch the catch.
Make the announcement.
Signal as required.

This has worked for me.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 11:03am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone
First of all getting set in a good stationary, yet comfortable position, that enables you to see the zone completely is very important. With some catchers, this may take a while to adjust if they have'nt been taught to let you see the zone.

I personnaly watch the ball into the glove, decide where it is and how it was caught by the catcher, announce the pitch and then stand and signal if a strike or stay set if a ball.

Sometimes a lot of new officials feel as though they need to announce and signal at the same time. This tends to hurry you by wanting to get that signal out. I think it is the old itailian technique of wanting to talk with your hands.

Whenever I found myself calling a pitch to fast, it is because I stand up too soon. Stay set and announce and then signal appropriately.

Also, how the ball is caught is very influential. 90% of the time it will guide you to the proper call.

See the zone.
Watch the pitch.
Watch the catch.
Make the announcement.
Signal as required.

This has worked for me.
Your method of calling the pitch first, and then signaling the strike works for some people I suppose, as I saw it quite often in my association.

I have always stood up and called the pitch at the same time I signaled. That is the way it is taught in pro school, so that's the way I was taught. You rarely see pro umpires (with the exception of kneelers) call it first and then stand up and signal.

It did not affect my timing by calling the strike and signaling.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Your method of calling the pitch first, and then signaling the strike works for some people I suppose, as I saw it quite often in my association.

I have always stood up and called the pitch at the same time I signaled. That is the way it is taught in pro school, so that's the way I was taught. You rarely see pro umpires (with the exception of kneelers) call it first and then stand up and signal.

It did not affect my timing by calling the strike and signaling.
Steve, when I get to the Pros, I will worry about how they do it.

The gentleman asked "Are there any tricks some of you wiley old vets of this forum use to improve and help keep consistant your timing while calling balls and strikes?

Tim asked for your advise, Not me.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
A related question on mechanics

I never noticed Pro timing but now that I think of it, most call strike while standing (if not all).

After seeing the pitch in its' entirety, I usually call and visualize 'Strike' while down, then stand.

Is this not done normally by HS/Collegiate/MiLB Umpires?

Crap.... I think there's something ELSE I gotta fix!!!
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 12:11pm

Quote:
Steve, when I get to the Pros, I will worry about how they do it.

The gentleman asked "Are there any tricks some of you wiley old vets of this forum use to improve and help keep consistant your timing while calling balls and strikes?

Tim asked for your advise, Not me.
And I think that staying down to call strikes, and then standing to signal, is not a trick that would help someone keep their timing consistent, but rather a mechanism you use to help you with your timing. I most certainly wasn't giving you advice. I was giving the people who read your post advice, which is not to take your advice.

I was just stating my opinion, and the way the mechanic is taught in clinics, camps, and yes, pro school. Going pro or not is not a good excuse not to do it the way they teach.

You do it your way. That's great. More power to you. I just don't think you should encourage others to do it that way. Perhaps Garth will chime in again about artificial timing.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:

IMO, FWIW this is good advice because it forces an umpire not to come up too quickly. When new umpires ask how do I improve on the low pitch or the "bread / butter" pitch for F1's the most notable answer is stay down. Do not "pop-up" too quickly.

Also, by staying down etc. you will not call the pitch "too quickly"

With all the advice given so far as I mentioned earlier it is easier to stay focused, have good timing etc. when you have 2 F1's that are around the plate the majority of times.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve

Mechanics, plate stances and calling balls / strikes methods seem to be changing as quickly as software products these days.

When I first started out I was taught to keep my head at the "highest point" of the zone meaning if my eyes had to look up it was a ball. Also, I was taught to only call strikes meaning do not say anything if it was a ball.

The BU was responsible for bases 1 through 3. The PU had home plate.

Those methods are out dated but it shows one that mechanics, plate stances and calling balls / strikes continue to change year after year.

Therefore posters are giving their advice on what works best for them. This is one area in which there are really no wrong or right answers. The OP can either take that advice (or at least try it) or not.

IMO, some of the "old methods" had value to them even though they are not taught anymore. If you have kids try helping them with their homework. It's like "night and day" compared to the way I was taught. Umpire mechanics are similiar.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 10:00pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Thumbs up

[quote=PeteBooth]
Quote:

Mechanics, plate stances and calling balls / strikes methods seem to be changing as quickly as software products these days.

When I first started out I was taught to keep my head at the "highest point" of the zone meaning if my eyes had to look up it was a ball. Also, I was taught to only call strikes meaning do not say anything if it was a ball.

The BU was responsible for bases 1 through 3. The PU had home plate.

Those methods are out dated but it shows one that mechanics, plate stances and calling balls / strikes continue to change year after year.

Therefore posters are giving their advice on what works best for them. This is one area in which there are really no wrong or right answers. The OP can either take that advice (or at least try it) or not.

IMO, some of the "old methods" had value to them even though they are not taught anymore. If you have kids try helping them with their homework. It's like "night and day" compared to the way I was taught. Umpire mechanics are similiar.

Pete Booth
Pete, here's a kiss from me to you, fantastic post.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 10:15pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcichon
I never noticed Pro timing but now that I think of it, most call strike while standing (if not all).

After seeing the pitch in its' entirety, I usually call and visualize 'Strike' while down, then stand.
They are going to stand up anyway so might as well make the call where it is best seen.