The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

While at camp last week, a coach happened to be sitting by us refs and he turned around to tell us that the rules can never keep up with the tricks that some coaches teach. For example he said that when the hand checking rule first came out he taught his kids to hold there hands straight out when guarding and to jab the opponents with the ends of their fingers. He stated that a foul was never called on his team for this.

He also said that he taught his post defenders to pinch the sides of the offensive players posting up. The referees would never see this but would see the offensive player throwing the retaliatory elbow.

When I used to coach, I never thought of teaching such evil and illegal manuevers. Has anyone else here heard of similar techniques that we officials need to be on the lookout for?
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 09:16pm
In Memoriam

...A knuckle to the solar plexus.
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by ReadyToRef
He also said that he taught his post defenders to pinch the sides of the offensive players posting up.

When I used to coach, I never thought of teaching such evil and illegal manuevers. Has anyone else here heard of similar techniques that we officials need to be on the lookout for?
My college roommate was a wrestler in HS. The stories he used to tell me about the places that he got pinched. . .

Not sure I'd use the word "evil" for such tactics, in any case. But they're clearly "below the belt".
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 09:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
He also said that he taught his post defenders to pinch the sides of the offensive players posting up.

My college roommate was a wrestler in HS. The stories he used to tell me about the places that he got pinched. . .

Not sure I'd use the word "evil" for such tactics, in any case. But they're clearly "below the belt".
Our standing high school defensive ends had the inside foot back and their first step was a knee to the groin of the opponent.
Old Sat Jun 19, 2004, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For example he said that when the hand checking rule first came out he taught his kids to hold there hands straight out when guarding and to jab the opponents with the ends of their fingers. He stated that a foul was never called on his team for this.
I'd certainly call this a foul.
Quote:
He also said that he taught his post defenders to pinch the sides of the offensive players posting up. The referees would never see this but would see the offensive player throwing the retaliatory elbow.
Probably true, but dumb. I'd hate to be the kid that takes the elbow to the face. I don't think it would be worth it.

Old Sat Jun 19, 2004, 11:51am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

This type of thinking is part of the "If you don't get caught, it's OK" mentality. Just another example of the deterioration of sportsmanship in sports.

Unfortunately, there is a large number of people that subscribe to this credo in other parts of their lives.
Old Sat Jun 19, 2004, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
This type of thinking is part of the "If you don't get caught, it's OK" mentality. Just another example of the deterioration of sportsmanship in sports.

Unfortunately, there is a large number of people that subscribe to this credo in other parts of their lives.
Like traffic!!
Old Sat Jun 19, 2004, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
While at camp last week, a coach happened to be sitting by us refs and he turned around to tell us that the rules can never keep up with the tricks that some coaches teach. For example he said that when the hand checking rule first came out he taught his kids to hold there hands straight out when guarding and to jab the opponents with the ends of their fingers. He stated that a foul was never called on his team for this.

You should also be aware of player tactics. Things coaches never teach their players to do. They resort to these kind of tactics when frustrated defending the star player. A good example is stepping on the player's sneakers (front of)when the player goes up for a shot. This throws the player's balance and shot off. Makes them look like awkward geeks instead of All-Americans. Know this can happen at college level. Haven't seen it at HS level.
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 05:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zebracz
Smile

My general thought stirred from this post is that most players, now, will usually come to an official, tell him of the "evil tactic-below-the-belt" stuff, and ask him/her to take care of it. And if not, they tell the coach, and usually the coach will tell us.

Right?

Besides we had a kid in our district that gave nuckle monkey-bumps to his opponent's forearm and it didn't take more than two weeks that the word got around to the officials in our association. Unruley players who continue to use 'non-baskeball plays' seem to be tempered; don't you think?
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

I've heard of defensive players putting their fingers in the offensive players waistband of their shorts.
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

There is no limit to the tricks employed when there is a chance the ref is not looking. From pulling on shorts till they almost come down, to pulling on shirts, to pinching butt cheeks, to sharp jabs to the kidneys. I once had a guy use all 4 of these at the same time on me!

And it works if you can get away with it!

Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Lightbulb

So that explaines why coaches (most of them) dont know anything. They spend all of their time teaching kids such evil things. :-p
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
A couple of years ago, I read a story stating that a prominent player in the Australian Football League was given a lengthy suspension for using illegal tactics like these. The most aggregious was when he apparently gave an opponent a rectal exam in a scrum!!
Old Mon Jun 21, 2004, 04:51pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
A couple of years ago, I read a story stating that a prominent player in the Australian Football League was given a lengthy suspension for using illegal tactics like these. The most aggregious was when he apparently gave an opponent a rectal exam in a scrum!!
I read about this. It was a match between the "Anal Intruders" and the "Rectum Wreckers". I don't know who won, and frankly, I don't care.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Mark thats funny!