The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
A lot of leagues around here have "slide or avoid," and I'm curious how you can justify not calling INT here. Assuming the contact occurs on the 3B side of the plate (I agree that this is HTBT, but F2 is stretched that way and turns to throw to 1B), we have no slide AND contact that affects the play. What does "slide or avoid contact" mean here?

I lean the other way: agree that it's HTBT (to judge where the contact occurs), but to me it sounds like INT under OBR w/ "slide or avoid contact".

I'm not aware of any rules set absent some local league rule that has a slide or avoid provision. The rules that I'm familiar with have a slide or attempt to avoid provision. Based on the description of this play it sounds to me like F2 swung his leg out over the plate where the contact occured as he attempted to throw the ball.

Tim.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

I have never seen a FPSR called at the plate. I know it's possible, but I have never seen it and would not call it in this case. Start and catchers will start leg whipping on the throw to get this call.

Last edited by DG; Tue Jul 17, 2007 at 11:14pm.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 11:15pm
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C

Good luck at the Legion State Tourament.

Regards,

Thanks Tim. I will try to represent us well!
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

First, thank you all for your responses.

I talked to my Commish, and he heard that the catcher admitted to someone it was his fault the contact occurred. I also heard the HC told someone he tried to keep his brother (assistant coach) in the dugout, but to no avail.

Gives me a little confirmation, justification is probably a better word, but I am still questioning my judgement on this because of the feedback I got from some of my brethren.

I do agree that the FPSR could have been called here, and maybe should have been called here. Sometime it is HTBT, or one's sole judgement.

A possible Case Book play here?

I do remember seeing a McNeely interp on this in the BRD.

Found it, AO 43-320 pg. 200 Any relevance here?
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

So,

Tommy, are you telling us STILL that you don't think this was a violation of the FPSR?

Really, becasue if you are you are doing exactly what I comment on:

Come in here and ask for opinions,

Get several opinions,

Tell us you were right and we are wrong.

Have I figured this out correctly?

(Psst, it was a classic violation of the FPSR and you erred by not calling it . . . that lead to multiple ejections . . . maybe one day you'll be wise enough to accept teaching.)
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

you guys kill me

He wasn't asking about the FPSR he was asking about his ejections!!!

I don't care if you get all your calls wrong.... that's up to you! but I'm glad you got rid of everyone you did!

Who cares about FPSR and if you got it right or wrong! and Someone that yells "That's redick in my face just after I boomed 2 other guys is done!"

Don't call them brothers because if you wanted to know about the FPSR you would have asked about that!!

You asked about the ejections Not FPSR
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 04:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyaisee

I don't care if you get all your calls wrong.... that's up to you! but I'm glad you got rid of everyone you did!

Who cares about FPSR and if you got it right or wrong! and Someone that yells "That's redick in my face just after I boomed 2 other guys is done!"

Don't call them brothers because if you wanted to know about the FPSR you would have asked about that!!

I could say some things about a poster dredging up 4-month-old threads for no good reason, but what would be the point?
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

I do not have a problem with the ejections. Regardless of the call, people need to behave. It's ok for the manager / player to give their $.02 (provided no F Bomb or any derogattory statements made directly at the umpire) but after that it's time to play ball, however,

IMO, as others such as TEE, Bob et al have tried to explain in FED, from the OP it's a FPSR violation.

IMO, here's what you are missing:

If the FPSR was called initially perhaps none of the "other" stuff would have taken place which is the point the posters are trying to explain.

As mentioned, I do not agree with the behavior that was displayed but that is typical of mens adult leagues.

Also, what has me puzzled is that I have been umpiring mens adult wood bat leagues for years and none of them plays by FED rules.

Home plate is treated like any other base in FED. In fact there is case play on the play at the plate. We all were not there but from the strict reading of the OP it's a FPSR violation and if you are going to play by FED rules, then you need to understand them and make the call.

Pete Booth
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Upon reading the first couple pages of this thread, I was worried that UmpLarryJohnson was back and we would have to listen to his jibberish again. Then I saw that the thread is about 4 months old.

But like oyaisee was saying, the original poster was not asking for a rule interpretation. I thought his third ejection was a bit early, but I liked his first two. Any time a player gets in my face, or approaches me violently, he's tossed.
Old Sat Nov 24, 2007, 08:25pm

Oh, as opposed to your jibberish?

I'll take Larry's, thank you.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Nov 25, 2007, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I don't know about anyone else, but I find little value in discussing past ejections. So you ejected some participants, good for you. If you don't want to discuss the calls that precipitated those ejections, that is your business.
I personally find much more value in talking about how the rule was misapplied then in the meltdowns that followed.

Everyone makes their own decisions about when and whether to eject. Nothing we say here is going to change that.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2007, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:

Sorry to disappoint you, but when I see that someone has a negligible understanding of a rule, I'm going to point it out so that he can learn from it. That's pretty much what this forum is supposed to be about. And dumping a coach for saying "that's ridiculous" is, well.............ridiculous!

Tim.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
I have only had to make 1 force play slide rule interference call at home in 21 years, and luckily, I got it right!
Since the FPSR only became part of the FED in 1998, I fail to see the significance of your statement.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Upon reading the first couple pages of this thread, I was worried that UmpLarryJohnson was back and we would have to listen to his jibberish again. Then I saw that the thread is about 4 months old.
not goin any where kid. your gonna have to do beter than find old posts of mine for that. but we'll be here to laff at you as you mentally soil yourself so to say
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Not that it matters, but with FPSR, does there need to be a Good chance for the Catcher to retire thre runner involved in the decision? Without a throw here, I wonder if the catcher choose not to throw? I'm just curious, as I don't currently deal with this rule, but could easily see having to in the future.

"It isn't enough for an umpire merely to know what he's doing. He has to look as though he know what he's doing too." - National League Umpire Larry Goetz

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it."