The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 10:54pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
From Evans.

. The action by the batter which causes interference does not have to be intentional. The batter is obligated to avoid making any movement which obstructs, impedes, or hinders the catcher's play in any way. A swing which carries the batter over home plate and subsequently complicates the catcher's play or attempted play should be ruled interference. Contact between the batter and catcher does not necessarily have to occur for interference to be ruled. Merely blocking the catcher's vision to second base may very possibly be interference.

Tim.
Tim, thanks so much for that exact quote. Earlier you informed me, again with exact quotes, from J/R. I respect anyone who takes the time to type word for word, without any misssspellings, these Kings Of Interps.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Sun Jul 15, 2007 at 04:41pm.
Old Sun Jul 15, 2007, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
So he changed the play. Now we have a different sitch to discuss. So what?
He didn't change the situation, he "yeah butted." There is a difference.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
The exact play happened Thursday night in Seattle. The batter took a swing and his momentum carried over the plate. Pudge Rodriquez tried to throw the runner from first out at second but his throw was wild because of the presence of the batter in front of him.
ld

The umpire ruled no interference.

I agree with the call.

The batter did nothing more than swing at a pitch and fall forward.

There was no intereference.
Had the same exact play Sunday.

Called it the same way. Might of had flashbacks from watching SC.

Catcher wanted it, but I explained why there was no call, didn't have to toss him.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2007, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I heard once at a clinic, "I can teach you to be in the right place, I can teach you how to make your calls, but I can't teach you judgement. You will either have it or not".

I have interference on this play, as described. Tommy, in your situation did you tell the F2 that 'in your judgement there was no interference'?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 12:52am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Originally Posted by fitump56
So he changed the play. Now we have a different sitch to discuss. So what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarilli
He didn't change the situation, he "yeah butted." There is a difference.
ok i suppose
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
The exact play happened Thursday night in Seattle. The batter took a swing and his momentum carried over the plate. Pudge Rodriquez tried to throw the runner from first out at second but his throw was wild because of the presence of the batter in front of him.
ld

The umpire ruled no interference.

I agree with the call.

The batter did nothing more than swing at a pitch and fall forward.

There was no intereference.
JUst another example that the pros in MLB even miss a call once in a while. He probably like most of these type plays was taken by surprise and then he couldn't change the call thus the further activities.

Since these plays happen often, but so few actually are interference I can see that happening.

Thansk
David
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
I heard once at a clinic, "I can teach you to be in the right place, I can teach you how to make your calls, but I can't teach you judgement. You will either have it or not".

I have interference on this play, as described. Tommy, in your situation did you tell the F2 that 'in your judgement there was no interference'?
I did use those defining words, "in my judgement".

I may start giving the catcher, who has been protecting me, the benefit of the doubt from now on.

If a batter can't control his actions by stepping across the plate during the catchers throw, I'm calling the INT.

Who's to say that subconciously the catcher didn't throw higher (alter his throw) than usual, or pull his hand back so not to hit the batter?
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy P
If a batter can't control his actions by stepping across the plate during the catchers throw, I'm calling the INT.
You should call interference only if the batter actually interferes. Merely stepping across the plate is not BI. Don't take shortcuts with the rules.
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
You should call interference only if the batter actually interferes. Merely stepping across the plate is not BI. Don't take shortcuts with the rules.
If we're talking OBR, interference does not have to occur. It is called illegal action and all that needs to occur is that the batter stepping out of the box complicates the catcher's play. It is a lesser standard of proof than interference.
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Now you are changing the play.

I will withdraw from the thread at this time.

Regards,
Tim,

Stay and play in the sandbox. It is rapidly running out!
Old Fri Jul 20, 2007, 11:22pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Porter
If we're talking OBR, interference does not have to occur. It is called illegal action and all that needs to occur is that the batter stepping out of the box complicates the catcher's play. It is a lesser standard of proof than interference.
Right on the money there, Jim.