The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Yet AGAIN, the SQUEEKING of a RAT is heard. Lies, and cheats is ALL you get from them. dont WASTE time explaining rules, they will just use it on you EVERY chance they get.

admit NOTHING to a rat. NOTHING. He thinks you are HORRIBLE no matter what, so who cares about his questions?
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk
In this situation, R1 had taken a huge lead and was told by the first basement to step off. It's the right move. The pitcher stepped off and just did a pump fake to try and see what the runner on 3rd was doing.
Stepping off the rubber and freezing the runner at third in this situation might have been the right thing go do. However, I was speaking about a routine throw to first. I've seen some pitchers that don't know how to do the jump turn. Two issues with that are, 1) a ball gets thrown OOB, 2 base award and 2) runners are never picked off.

I suspect it's because the coach doesn't know how to teach the move.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Hitters get 'game winning RBIs', Fielders routinely get credited with 'game saving catches' a reliever comes in at the bottom of the ninth with 2 outs pitches to one batter and gets a 'save'. These are all one play or one batter episodes
Why is it so outlandish to suggest that an umpire who screws the pooch on a rules interp which definitively results in a score can't have some responsibility in the outcome?

If, instead of a balk, the batter hits a single and scores R3 everyone will look to that play as the game winning hit. If the ump blows a rules interp that results in the same run scoring we're not to think it has any bearing on the game?
If the ump makes any judgement call that results in a run, good bad or indifferent from the perspectives of any onlooker, player or coach I would never credit the ump with any responsibility for the outcome, but a blown rules interp is different.
Which is exactly why there's a thing called a protest.
The fact that there is a provision for protests acknowledges that a blown rules interp can effect outcomes.

Which is exacly why as umpires we need to know our rules!
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Mueller
The fact that there is a provision for protests acknowledges that a blown rules interp can effect outcomes.
then WHY didnt' the rat protest the game? Isnt' that his JOB (among other things)?
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
According to whom? The rats who lobbied for that provision?
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson
then WHY didnt' the rat protest the game? Isnt' that his JOB (among other things)?
I don't know that he didn't, do you?

Besides, I don't particularly care one way or another, I was speaking generally to the sentiment on this thread that an umpire has no effect on the outcome.
I don't minimize the role of the ump so much to say that his calls aren't crucial to outcomes. They most certainly are.
They are so crucial that we spend much time and effort to learn proper mechanics and positioning so that we have the best opportunity to make the correct call. If the calls were not important who cares if we don't hustle to get in good position or if we have a good angle or not, heck if it's not important and crucial then I'll just stay in A and minimize my risk of injury.
A blown rules interp can impact a game, nothing wrong with admitting it, it's the truth.
In the rare instance that a coach knows you blew the rule then mark one up for the rats the score is already so lopsided they can never catch up.
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
According to whom? The rats who lobbied for that provision?
Do you minimize your role in the game so much to think you have no influence?
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do you minimize your role in the game so much to think you have no influence?
If you understand your job, you understand that you have no undue influence on the outcome of the game.
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

if he PROTESTED, fine! let the process WORK, and ACCEPT the decision.....

without cluttering up a UMPIRES' forum with constant WHINING. I have PLENTY to say about certain RATS but I dont' WHINE about them ON and ON (to other RATS, no less) when I dont' get the answer i WANTED.
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you understand your job, you understand that you have no undue influence on the outcome of the game.

That is just plain wrong!!!

I do understand my job and I'm surprised you think the influence of the umpire is so minimal.
I understand fully that if I blow a rules interp I can have a significant undue influence on the game.
That is why the job of umpire is so important
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

My job is to see that neither side has an advantage not intended by rule.

I do my job.

This isn't brain surgery, painting the Mona Lisa or curing cancer. You are not as important as you seem to think.
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpLarryJohnson
if he PROTESTED, fine! let the process WORK, and ACCEPT the decision.....

without cluttering up a UMPIRES' forum with constant WHINING. I have PLENTY to say about certain RATS but I dont' WHINE about them ON and ON (to other RATS, no less) when I dont' get the answer i WANTED.
Did you not get hugged enough as a child?

I asked about a call in a game where the call made by the umpire directly influenced the outcome of the game(since the winning run was scored on said balk). Where did I whine?

Instead you go off on people calling them rats because you are this mighty umpire and act and talk like every one else is below you. Perhaps you can admit that one of our fellow umpires, yes, i did say fellow, made the incorrect call that decided a game.

Just a follow up. We did protest the game and will find out tomorrow on the ruling.
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
My job is to see that neither side has an advantage not intended by rule.
And you think I disagree?

Quote:
I do my job.

You think I disagree?

Quote:
This isn't brain surgery, painting the Mona Lisa or curing cancer. You are not as important as you seem to think.
Interesting that you come back on the attack and yet do not speak to the issue.
We're talking about a game of baseball, so all importance is relative to that game.

Speaking of relative importance...
Why is the Mona Lisa in the same sentence with curing cancer and brain surgery?
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And you think I disagree?
So you appeared.

Quote:
Interesting that you come back on the attack and yet do not speak to the issue.
Read my posts. I've spoken to the issue. I've told you what my job is and why I do not have an undue influence on the result of any game I work. I do my job. I don't strike out, I don't miss a base, I don't balk, I don't drop fly balls, I don't throw wild pitches, I don't miss tags, and I don't argue mindlessly with umpires.

I do my job, and by so doing, again, I do not have an undue influence on the outcome.

Now then, I am speaking for me. Perhaps you work differently .

Quote:
Speaking of relative importance...
Why is the Mona Lisa in the same sentence with curing cancer and brain surgery?
It would take pages to explain to one with no understanding of the history of art, but the short version is....it's all in the hands, not the smile.
Old Tue Jul 10, 2007, 03:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk
I asked about a call in a game where the call made by the umpire directly influenced the outcome of the game(since the winning run was scored on said balk). Where did I whine?
Again, the call did not cost you the game. There was more baseball played after the call, with plenty of opportunities to score more runs. The winning run did not score on that balk. Only the go ahead run scored on the balk. It didn't end the game. If it ended the game, then it may have cost you the game.

Now you await the decision on the protest. It will likely be upheld, as it appears the umpire blew the call. Did it have an effect on the game? Most certainly. Did it cost you the game? Absolutely not.

Your team failed to score any more runs. That's not the umpire's fault. He is not to blame because your team moped around about the umpire screwing them, and let it affect them to the point where they couldn't take matters into their own hands.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Tue Jul 10, 2007 at 07:48pm.