The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

pitchers footwork

R1, LHP in the set position. F1's left foot(pivot foot) is parallel to the rubber and on the first base end of the rubber. F1's right foot (free foot) is on an angle from his left foot and closer to first base. no part of the right foot is in front of the rubber. the right foot looks as if he already took a small step towards first. this is how F1 starts from the set position. he then goes into a stretch and slides his right front a little closer to the rubber - but also closer to first base. he then stops there until he delivers the ball. it looks very awkward, but F1 always does it this way.
Is this a balk? The following rule indicates that this is not a legal set position, but it doesn't provide any penalty. am i missing something? is this a "don't do that"? thanks.

(b) The Set Position. Set Position shall be indicated by the pitcher when he stands facing the batter with his pivot foot in contact with, and his other foot in front of, the pitcher’s plate, holding the ball in both hands in front of his body and coming to a complete stop. From such Set Position he may deliver the ball to the batter, throw to a base or step backward off the pitcher’s plate with his pivot foot. Before assuming Set Position, the pitcher may elect to make any natural preliminary motion such as that known as “the stretch.” But if he so elects, he shall come to Set Position before delivering the ball to the batter. After assuming Set Position, any natural motion associated with his delivery of the ball to the batter commits him to the pitch without alteration or interruption.
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newump
R1, LHP in the set position. F1's left foot(pivot foot) is parallel to the rubber and on the first base end of the rubber. F1's right foot (free foot) is on an angle from his left foot and closer to first base. no part of the right foot is in front of the rubber. the right foot looks as if he already took a small step towards first. this is how F1 starts from the set position. he then goes into a stretch and slides his right front a little closer to the rubber - but also closer to first base. he then stops there until he delivers the ball. it looks very awkward, but F1 always does it this way.
Is this a balk? The following rule indicates that this is not a legal set position, but it doesn't provide any penalty. am i missing something? is this a "don't do that"? thanks.

(b) The Set Position. Set Position shall be indicated by the pitcher when he stands facing the batter with his pivot foot in contact with, and his other foot in front of, the pitcher’s plate, holding the ball in both hands in front of his body and coming to a complete stop. From such Set Position he may deliver the ball to the batter, throw to a base or step backward off the pitcher’s plate with his pivot foot. Before assuming Set Position, the pitcher may elect to make any natural preliminary motion such as that known as “the stretch.” But if he so elects, he shall come to Set Position before delivering the ball to the batter. After assuming Set Position, any natural motion associated with his delivery of the ball to the batter commits him to the pitch without alteration or interruption.
I'm confused by your description, but "in front of the rubber" means "in front of a line through the front of the rubber". The free foot need not be *directly* in front of the rubber (that is, it need not be within a line through either end of the rubber).

Last edited by bob jenkins; Sun Jul 08, 2007 at 09:05am.
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I'm confused by your description, but "in front of the rubber" means "in front of a line through the front of the rubber". The free foot need not be *directly* in front of the rubber (that is, it need not be within a line through either end of the rubber).

bob,
thanks. i believe you are saying that the free foot can be anywhere - including completely off either end of the rubber as long as it is in front of the front edge of the rubber (in front meaning the home plate side of the rubber). if that is true why does the OBR "windup position" specify in the comment section that the free foot can be, amongst other things "off the side of the rubber" and for the "set position" it merely states that the free foot must in front of the pitcher's plate.
a former PBUC grad was the BU who called this a balk when I first saw it. i had a detailed discussion with him and he believes that you are wrong. he stated that they reviewed this exact scenerio at ump school.

do you any rule citation or interps that might help clarify it for me? i appreciate your help.
thanks,
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

To keep from turning their shoulder to check on R1 in the set position, some RHP open up their set position (free foot) to the 1B side of the rubber. This is legal and uses the same concept as your LHP's free foot.

The rule book uses words to describe what is legal. It would take too many pictures of legal examples to be practical to include. The off to the side verbage for the wind-up distinguishes that position from having the foot on the rubber. You are facing the batter in the wind-up. It's a completely different position.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2007, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newump
bob,
thanks. i believe you are saying that the free foot can be anywhere - including completely off either end of the rubber as long as it is in front of the front edge of the rubber (in front meaning the home plate side of the rubber). if that is true why does the OBR "windup position" specify in the comment section that the free foot can be, amongst other things "off the side of the rubber" and for the "set position" it merely states that the free foot must in front of the pitcher's plate.
a former PBUC grad was the BU who called this a balk when I first saw it. i had a detailed discussion with him and he believes that you are wrong. he stated that they reviewed this exact scenerio at ump school.

do you any rule citation or interps that might help clarify it for me? i appreciate your help.
thanks,
I don't have an OBR reference handy, but this FED reference might help:

6.1.3 Situation A: F1 takes the set position with his pivot foot entirely in front of and in contact with the pitcher's plate. F1's non-pivot foot is entirely in front of his pivot foot (toward home plate) but is not within the plane of each end of the pitcher's plate. RULING: This is legal, since only the pivot foot is required to be entirely in front of the pitcher's plate, within the plane of each end of the pitcher's plate, and in contact with it. The non-pivot foot is required to be entirely in front of the front plane of the pitcher's plate but does not have to be within the plane of each end of the pitcher's plate.