View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I'm confused by your description, but "in front of the rubber" means "in front of a line through the front of the rubber". The free foot need not be *directly* in front of the rubber (that is, it need not be within a line through either end of the rubber).

bob,
thanks. i believe you are saying that the free foot can be anywhere - including completely off either end of the rubber as long as it is in front of the front edge of the rubber (in front meaning the home plate side of the rubber). if that is true why does the OBR "windup position" specify in the comment section that the free foot can be, amongst other things "off the side of the rubber" and for the "set position" it merely states that the free foot must in front of the pitcher's plate.
a former PBUC grad was the BU who called this a balk when I first saw it. i had a detailed discussion with him and he believes that you are wrong. he stated that they reviewed this exact scenerio at ump school.

do you any rule citation or interps that might help clarify it for me? i appreciate your help.
thanks,