View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 09, 2007, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newump
bob,
thanks. i believe you are saying that the free foot can be anywhere - including completely off either end of the rubber as long as it is in front of the front edge of the rubber (in front meaning the home plate side of the rubber). if that is true why does the OBR "windup position" specify in the comment section that the free foot can be, amongst other things "off the side of the rubber" and for the "set position" it merely states that the free foot must in front of the pitcher's plate.
a former PBUC grad was the BU who called this a balk when I first saw it. i had a detailed discussion with him and he believes that you are wrong. he stated that they reviewed this exact scenerio at ump school.

do you any rule citation or interps that might help clarify it for me? i appreciate your help.
thanks,
I don't have an OBR reference handy, but this FED reference might help:

6.1.3 Situation A: F1 takes the set position with his pivot foot entirely in front of and in contact with the pitcher's plate. F1's non-pivot foot is entirely in front of his pivot foot (toward home plate) but is not within the plane of each end of the pitcher's plate. RULING: This is legal, since only the pivot foot is required to be entirely in front of the pitcher's plate, within the plane of each end of the pitcher's plate, and in contact with it. The non-pivot foot is required to be entirely in front of the front plane of the pitcher's plate but does not have to be within the plane of each end of the pitcher's plate.