The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
End of Game

I have read repeatedly that Umpires should avail themselves of the winning teams' side to exit from the field at games end. I have done and taught this for several years.

Tonight, a Tournament UIC/Scheduler advised me after a District LL 12u game I called that he wants me (All Umpires in the game) to form up at the mound at games conclusion, wait until all players and coaches have shook hands and then ask each Manager, "are we all set?", purportedly to await a last minute appeal or protest.

It goes against what I've learned here and practice. I'm usually the guy who is waiting at the fence exit for my partner. If the little cheese-nibblers want to protest or appeal something, they had better get it done before I get to the exit.

I suspect the District UIC knows that there is 'bad blood' or maybe just hot tempers between certain coaches and managers and wants the Umpires on the field until each team is completely seperated in their respective dugouts.
I don't feel I should have to hang around and 'keep the peace'. I also feel that if this guy [UIC] knows of a specific issue, he should just say so.

Would you do it? Am I being stubborn or unreasonable? Other thoughts or ideas? I hate the idea of missing something.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Perhaps its because at the LL level there are a million more protests (and often legitimate ones) because of inexperienced coaches, mandatory play rules, and pitching restrictions. Those three things can become a forcefield for creating problems. It has to be a LL thing in your assignors mind.

That being said, get the hell out of there when the game's over. TD's problem if there is a brawl after the game.
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 11:58pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
If you are forced to do so, what choice do you have? If not, exit.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcichon
I have read repeatedly that Umpires should avail themselves of the winning teams' side to exit from the field at games end. I have done and taught this for several years.

Tonight, a Tournament UIC/Scheduler advised me after a District LL 12u game I called that he wants me (All Umpires in the game) to form up at the mound at games conclusion, wait until all players and coaches have shook hands and then ask each Manager, "are we all set?", purportedly to await a last minute appeal or protest.

It goes against what I've learned here and practice. I'm usually the guy who is waiting at the fence exit for my partner. If the little cheese-nibblers want to protest or appeal something, they had better get it done before I get to the exit.

I suspect the District UIC knows that there is 'bad blood' or maybe just hot tempers between certain coaches and managers and wants the Umpires on the field until each team is completely seperated in their respective dugouts.
I don't feel I should have to hang around and 'keep the peace'. I also feel that if this guy [UIC] knows of a specific issue, he should just say so.

Would you do it? Am I being stubborn or unreasonable? Other thoughts or ideas? I hate the idea of missing something.
"Mr. Director, when my game is finished, I get my partner or partner's together and we exit the field. If you wish to wait on the mound, that is your prerogative. I and my partners will be in the parking lot, changing."
Old Wed Jul 04, 2007, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

We have been instructed by our UIC and District Administrator that at the conclusion of each LL All-Star game we are to haul a** off the field, no ifs, ands, or buts !

Arnie

You can't fix stupid - Ron White
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

We do not hang around. If asked, my answer would bear an uncanny resemblence to ozzy's.

"The prompt and correct judgements of the honorable umpire elicited applause from the members of both clubs, and their thanks are tendered to him for the gentlemanly manner in which he acquitted himself of that onerous duty." - Niagara Indexensis, May 20th 1872
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

What should you do?

The same thing I and others told you to do on the other board.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Hmm,

Life is about choices.

If I select to work a game and the UIC tells me to wear a green shirt I have two choices:

1) Wear a green shirt and work the game,

2) Turn back the game and not work.

I don't really think there is a third choice.

Regards,
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Life is about choices.

If I select to work a game and the UIC tells me to wear a green shirt I have two choices:

1) Wear a green shirt and work the game,

2) Turn back the game and not work.

I don't really think there is a third choice.

Regards,
As a certain MLB umpire told me (to paraphrase): "I don't care if they make me wear pink and purple, as long as they let me keep doing this because it beats working for a living."

T's right. When you take the game you must do what the boss says. If you don't want to do what the boss says: don't work in that league.

As stated by several posters on the other board: It appears that LL wants to give coaches time to file a protest with umpires after the game has concluded for any possible violation of the mandatory play rule.

To do so, many LL districts, it appears, are making umpires stay on the field until the team handshakes are over. (Basically, the coaches have until the handshakes are over in which to file a protest). While I disagree with the manner in which they are requiring this protest to be lodged (i.e. must tell the umpires before the umpires leave the field), it is their REQUIRED mechanic so you must use it if you accept the game.

I personally refuse to deal with many issues in LL Baseball (or any other league of that age group) so I choose #2: I don't work them.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold A.
We have been instructed by our UIC and District Administrator that at the conclusion of each LL All-Star game we are to haul a** off the field, no ifs, ands, or buts !
Thus minimizing the ability of a team to lodge a "before the umpires leave the field" protest.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Rcichon, was this request for that particular game, or has waiting on the mound been the standard for the whole tournament? Either way, it seems like a reasonable request. Odd are, that if there were late game protestable issues those would surface immediately following the game. I don't see those happening after the hand shake line.

The only problem I might have is the asking of the manager's, "are we all set?" He better be coming to me with a problem, as I'm not going looking for them.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcichon

I echo TEE if you want to work these games then you do as instructed or refuse.

One of the problems is that there is no Official LL Umpire association ala a Summer or HS umpires asociation. As umpires we stick together and if a league ever requested us to "hang around" after the game my assignor would tell that league where to go meaning NO UMPIRE would work those games.

LL is different because there is no ONE association that all LL umpires belong to. It is basically volunteer (however, more and more LL associations are going to paid umpires for a variety of reasons)

In your situation there might be many LL Umpires who are "itching" to get a LL Distrct game and would do almost anything to get one so if you refuse who cares.

Personally I wouldn't work any game in which the UIC instructed me to "hang around"

Summary: If you do not want to hang around simply refuse the assignment. For what it's worth think about getting HS Certified and getting paid for your services and NOT have to hang around after the game. We simply drop the baseballs at the plate or give them to the home coach (whatever the protocol is in one's area) greet our partner and go home. If someone wants to appeal they better do so in a hurry.

Pete Booth
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
Thus minimizing the ability of a team to lodge a "before the umpires leave the field" protest.
Absolutely correct, Rich !

Arnie

Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold A.
Absolutely correct, Rich !
Why would you want to deprive a team of their opportunity to lodge a legal protest? An MPR protest cannot be lodged until after the last out is recorded and must be lodged before the umpires leave the field. As others have said, if you don't want to follow the guidelines of the league you represent, don't work their games.

Tim.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Why would you want to deprive a team of their opportunity to lodge a legal protest? An MPR protest cannot be lodged until after the last out is recorded and must be lodged before the umpires leave the field. As others have said, if you don't want to follow the guidelines of the league you represent, don't work their games.

Tim.
Tim,

If you looked at my first post, the District Administrator and the UIC for the district have instructed us to do this for this reason. I AM following their guidelines.

Arnie