The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 01, 2007, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Israeli Baseball League

Anybody know where the umps were recruited from? The all look to be Americans -one guy has a US flag on the back of his uniform shirt....
Old Sun Jul 01, 2007, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

The American guys are from SC, NC and FL. There are a few Israelis rotating in as part of the crews as well.

The American flag no the back of all the shirts is the result of the American guys providing the uniforms for all the league officials. Though it isn't a critical matter, the American flags may be changed to Israeli flags, at least for the Israeli umpires.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 01:56am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigD
The American guys are from SC, NC and FL. There are a few Israelis rotating in as part of the crews as well.

The American flag no the back of all the shirts is the result of the American guys providing the uniforms for all the league officials. Though it isn't a critical matter, the American flags may be changed to Israeli flags, at least for the Israeli umpires.
Why is it that umpires must make political statements by wearing the flag of any country?
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 03:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
Why is it that umpires must make political statements by wearing the flag of any country?
The same reason you make inane posts in almost every thread you stumble upon. Because they can.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas
The same reason you make inane posts in almost every thread you stumble upon. Because they can.
Ignore list has worked great for me.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Good question.

Personally, I think if the imported Yanks have an American flag on their backs, us locals should have the Israeli flag.

While we are on the subject, consider these interesting points:
  • We (IBL umpires) have been instructed to *tighten* the strike zone so that the upper point is just above the belly button. What do you think?
  • Obstruction is signaled using a "delayed dead ball" sign. Left hand straight out in a fist, and say "obstruction". Have any of you used this signal? (I thought it was only a softball signal)
  • The IBL plays 7 innings (I like this rule, as it keeps the games to about 2 hours or so).
  • A tie game is to be decided by a home-run derby (no extra innings).

Shmuel
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Soccer fans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmuelg
Good question.
  • A tie game is to be decided by a home-run derby (no extra innings).
Shmuel
Please explain how a home run derby would fairly adjudicate individual or team performance?
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
Ignore list has worked great for me.
same here, and fitump56 just made the roster.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
The delayed dead ball signal is what we use here for HS (FED) baseball.

I kind of like the home run derby concept, sounds like fun. Oh wait, are we allowed to have fun?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Because some take pride in their country.

Tim.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Home run derby

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
I kind of like the home run derby concept, sounds like fun. Oh wait, are we allowed to have fun?
If you're not a Home Run hitter, it sounds like ... a relay race around the bases.
If you're a Home Run hitter, it sounds like ... softball!
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 11:55pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Because some take pride in their country.

Tim.
Pride can be displayed without wearing a flag; this came into popularity after 9/11

The question is where does non uniform badges, ribbons and paraphenelia end? I say it stops with zero, then there are no arguments.

Do you support AIDS prevention, do you wear a ribbon demonstrating so? Are you for gay rights, got a pinkie for that one? Breast cancer, people with dual citizenships, how about a Iranian flag for Shamir? He's proud of his country.

We have many ways to express our interests.....off the ballfield, thank you.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Tue Jul 03, 2007 at 07:52am.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 11:56pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Good question.

Personally, I think if the imported Yanks have an American flag on their backs, us locals should have the Israeli flag.
Shmuel
If one, why not the other. Your logic is sound.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2007, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

I havent' seen the home run derby in action yet, so I can't give you my personal take on it, BUT

The general idea is to avoid dragging out the games to umpteen extra innings - just finish it and go home. Israelis don't have a lot of patience with anything, much less baseball - they complain the game is boring and they don't understand it. To just go on and on and on and on on top of all that would be a killer. So, do a derby (remember it's team vs. team, so there's got to be a few sluggers there), and finish it.

Also, it's kind of exciting to see a home run, especially in the fields here. We don't have big stands, in fact, watching a game is akin to watching a minor league game or even a High School game, you are that close to the field (the Dodgers, for instance, would charge $100+ for similar seats).

Personally, I piped up for the softball rule of putting the player who made the last out on second base, but this was not a popular suggestion.

I'll keep you posted.

Shmuel
Old Tue Jul 03, 2007, 12:05am
In Time Out

Quote:
I havent' seen the home run derby in action yet, so I can't give you my personal take on it, BUT

The general idea is to avoid dragging out the games to umpteen extra innings - just finish it and go home. Israelis don't have a lot of patience with anything, much less baseball - they complain the game is boring and they don't understand it. To just go on and on and on and on on top of all that would be a killer. So, do a derby (remember it's team vs. team, so there's got to be a few sluggers there), and finish it.

Shmuel
Falls inline with the soccer (futbol) shootout, I can see the cultural advantage.