The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 27, 2007, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Balk Followed by Hit

R1. Pitcher does not come to a complete stop before pitching. Batter hits the ball and reaches first safely. R1 goes to third on single.

Am I correct that in OBR the single stands and the runner stays on 3rd?

If so, is this the case in FED as well?
Old Wed Jun 27, 2007, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshs81
R1. Pitcher does not come to a complete stop before pitching. Batter hits the ball and reaches first safely. R1 goes to third on single.

Am I correct that in OBR the single stands and the runner stays on 3rd?

If so, is this the case in FED as well?

Yes, you are correct. OBR is a delayed dead ball. Continuous play is allowed to take place. If the b/r gets to at least 1st and all runners get to their advance base, the balk is disregarded.

FED is an immediate dead ball.
Old Wed Jun 27, 2007, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

In OBR a balk is a delayed dead ball situation. If as a result of the pitch, every runner AND the batter advance at least one base then the balk is ignored. Otherwise the pitch is ignored and the balk enforced.

So in your situation, the balk would be ignored because R1 advanced at least to second AND the batter safely reached first.

From what I've seen on this website I believe using the FED rulebook a balk is an immediate deadball situation, so the runner would be advanced to second and the batter remains at the plate.

Difference in rulebooks:

OBR: "That's a balk!.....wait for play to end..(if all runners don't advance at least one base or batter doesn't reach first) TIME!!!!"
FED: "TIME!! That's a balk!"
Old Wed Jun 27, 2007, 03:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibear
Difference in rulebooks:

OBR: "That's a balk!.....wait for play to end..(if all runners don't advance at least one base or batter doesn't reach first) TIME!!!!"
Actually, the more recommended method for FED is "That's a balk...Time!"

This way, your balk call remains consistent when using either rule set.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jun 27, 2007, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibear

Difference in rulebooks:

Correct.

Calling balks properly when working under FED helps prevent unnecessary discussions.

Callin balks in the same manner under both codes might be helpful to those who can't remember which rule is applicable, but if you still have at least three remaining brain cells functioning, it is an unnecessary crutch.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2007, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

OBR - R1, 3-2 count, balk is called and the pitch delivered is a ball. is the balk ignored? ball 4 puts the BR on 1st and forces R1 on 2nd.

how about the same situation with R2 only? obviously ball 4 would put the BR on first but R2 would not advance. i imagine in this situation the balk would be enforced and the pitch ignored.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2007, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newump
OBR - R1, 3-2 count, balk is called and the pitch delivered is a ball. is the balk ignored? ball 4 puts the BR on 1st and forces R1 on 2nd.

how about the same situation with R2 only? obviously ball 4 would put the BR on first but R2 would not advance. i imagine in this situation the balk would be enforced and the pitch ignored.
You disappoint me. Surely you own a rule book.

OBR 8.05 Penalty

The ball is dead, and each runner shall advance one base without liability to be put out, unless the batter reaches first on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit batter, or otherwise, and all other runners advance at least one base, in which case the play proceeds without reference to the balk.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2007, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

sorry, i'm in my office and i don't carry my books with me at all times. also can't access mlb.com for the rules.

how about the following...

R2, 3-2 count, ball 4 wild pitch, BR goes to first, R2 goes to 3rd.

or

R2, 3-2 count, strike 3 wild pitch,BR goes to first, R2 goes to 3rd.

does a dropped 3rd strike wild pitch qualify as "or otherwise"?

The ball is dead, and each runner shall advance one base without liability to be put out, unless the batter reaches first on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit batter, or otherwise, and all other runners advance at least one base, in which case the play proceeds without reference to the balk.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2007, 10:20am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Correct.

Calling balks properly when working under FED helps prevent unnecessary discussions.

Callin balks in the same manner under both codes might be helpful to those who can't remember which rule is applicable, but if you still have at least three remaining brain cells functioning, it is an unnecessary crutch.
There is no "proper" way to call a FED balk. Mechanics are not discussed in the rulebook and the FED mechanics manual is best thrown out when received.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2007, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
There is no "proper" way to call a FED balk. Mechanics are not discussed in the rulebook and the FED mechanics manual is best thrown out when received.
C'mon, Rich. You're right about pitching the FED ump manual, but surely FED is entitled to their view concerning the enforcement of their balk rule. We could refer to this as the "proper" way.

Am I missing your larger point? You're not usually one to quibble...
Old Fri Jun 29, 2007, 12:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
C'mon, Rich. You're right about pitching the FED ump manual, but surely FED is entitled to their view concerning the enforcement of their balk rule. We could refer to this as the "proper" way.

Am I missing your larger point? You're not usually one to quibble...
Yes, I think you're missing the larger point. Rich is talking about the way the balk is called, not the enforcement of the rule.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2007, 12:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Correct.

We just had this discussion in the following thread. Rich suggested the way that I quoted, and I didn't hear that it was a crutch at that time. I don't see it as a "crutch," but as a practical way of doing things.

HS Season over, here comes summer ball
Old Fri Jun 29, 2007, 05:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Yes, I think you're missing the larger point. Rich is talking about the way the balk is called, not the enforcement of the rule.
Exactly. In other words, someone with a FED manual -- does it actually prescribe the words and the order in which they're to be said?

Even if it DOES, it really doesn't matter unless you use the FED mechanics for EVERYTHING else.

Last edited by Rich; Fri Jun 29, 2007 at 05:07pm.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2007, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Rich,

Verbatim from the 2007 FED Umpire Manual (#22 on p.17 for those following along at home):

Quote:
22. When a balk occurs, the ball is dead immediately. Whenever a balk occurs, the umpire will throw up his hands, which signifies the ball is dead, and call "balk." ...
And you throw this gem away?!?!? I find it makes an excellent coaster.

JM
Old Fri Jun 29, 2007, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
We just had this discussion in the following thread. Rich suggested the way that I quoted, and I didn't hear that it was a crutch at that time. I don't see it as a "crutch," but as a practical way of doing things.

HS Season over, here comes summer ball
Thanks for the URL showing at least I'm consistent.

To me, practical would be to call time immediately in FED to let everyone know that play is over and keep the whining to a minimum should the pitcher pitch and the batter hit the ball.

As I said in the thread you referenced...When I can't remember the code under which I'm working, I'll retire.