The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 26, 2007, 09:23am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,262
Batted Ball hits held bat

I've tried to find this in the book but have not had any success. The batter squares to bunt and makes contact with the ball going straight down then bouncing back up and contacting the bat which was still over the plate in the bunting position. What is the correct call here?

My partner in the field (I was plate) quickly called foul ball, but I don't feel this was correct.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 26, 2007, 09:44am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Western Washington
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire
I've tried to find this in the book but have not had any success. The batter squares to bunt and makes contact with the ball going straight down then bouncing back up and contacting the bat which was still over the plate in the bunting position. What is the correct call here?

My partner in the field (I was plate) quickly called foul ball, but I don't feel this was correct.
Check the interps of 6.05(h).
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 26, 2007, 09:49am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,262
Thanks for the reference. So, the batter should have been called out as the bat was over the plate and, therefore, in fair territory when it hit the ball the second time.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 26, 2007, 10:35am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 4,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire
Thanks for the reference. So, the batter should have been called out as the bat was over the plate and, therefore, in fair territory when it hit the ball the second time.
Uh, no. There is a difference between the bat hitting the ball a second time and the ball hitting the bat.

From JEA:

Professional Interpretation: A batted ball which bounces up sharply from the ground and is contacted a second time by the bat in fair territory is not grounds for calling the batter out. If no intent to interfere is evident and the batter is in the box, this shall be ruled a foul ball only.
__________________
GB
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 26, 2007, 10:41am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,729
Hehehehe,

Garth:

But every OOO would call the guy "OUT!", right?

Regards,
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 26, 2007, 10:49am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,621
Who's the guy around here who keeps "intoning": "strikes and outs!"

A little knowledge....
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 26, 2007, 11:23am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Western Washington
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire
Thanks for the reference. So, the batter should have been called out as the bat was over the plate and, therefore, in fair territory when it hit the ball the second time.
Eastshire, I never said the rule book only was the answer. I said to check the interps (Interpretations).

The general rule of thumb that I have learned is: A) If the ball hits the bat a second time over fair territory and there is no intent, then it's nothing (no interference) and you rule fair or foul based on the outcome. B) If the bat hits the ball a second time over fair territory, IE bat is directed toward the ball, then this is interference and the batter is out.

Garth also nailed the other possibility.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 26, 2007, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,729
mbyron

"Who's the guy around here who keeps "intoning": "strikes and outs!"

"A little knowledge...."


Excuse me if this is aimed at me can you be a little more specific?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jun 27, 2007, 11:06am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,621
Probably no more specific, but I can try to be a little less allusive.

Some umpires hear "call strikes and outs" and begin to call them even where they don't belong.

Hence "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing." Or, as Pope would have it:
Quote:
A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again.
You can put your hackles down, Tee. Not that I'm telling you what to do....
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jun 27, 2007, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by shickenbottom
The general rule of thumb that I have learned is: A) If the ball hits the bat a second time over fair territory and there is no intent, then it's nothing (no interference) and you rule fair or foul based on the outcome. B) If the bat hits the ball a second time over fair territory, IE bat is directed toward the ball, then this is interference and the batter is out.
What do you mean, in situation (A), by, "you rule fair or foul based on the outcome"?

I can't imagine a situation where I would rule "fair" on a ball that was hit a second time by a batter's bat. I would think the ruling would be either "foul" or "out".
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jun 28, 2007, 07:03am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,621
Batter hits ball, drops bat, runs to 1B. Ball rolls into bat, remaining fair as a result. Fair ball, play on.

There, that wasn't so hard to imagine.
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jun 28, 2007, 07:59am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Batter hits ball, drops bat, runs to 1B. Ball rolls into bat, remaining fair as a result. Fair ball, play on.

There, that wasn't so hard to imagine.
Well, I did say "on a ball that was hit a second time by a batter's bat", and I thought that is what the other post was referring to.

I did not realize that we were including the "ball rolls into bat" situation in this thread, as I assumed that everyone would be in agreement on how to call that.

I apologize.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Batted Ball Hits Umpire Welpe Baseball 3 Mon Jun 04, 2007 06:55am
Batted ball hits BR on the foot Andy Softball 8 Fri Jun 03, 2005 08:14pm
Batted ball hits overhead fence Girump Softball 11 Wed May 11, 2005 07:06am
Batted ball hits umpire WestMichBlue Softball 6 Sun Feb 13, 2005 04:02pm
Batted ball hits BR Dakota Softball 9 Fri Sep 26, 2003 09:52am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1