The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Batted Ball hits held bat (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/35990-batted-ball-hits-held-bat.html)

Eastshire Tue Jun 26, 2007 09:23am

Batted Ball hits held bat

I've tried to find this in the book but have not had any success. The batter squares to bunt and makes contact with the ball going straight down then bouncing back up and contacting the bat which was still over the plate in the bunting position. What is the correct call here?

My partner in the field (I was plate) quickly called foul ball, but I don't feel this was correct.

shickenbottom Tue Jun 26, 2007 09:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire
I've tried to find this in the book but have not had any success. The batter squares to bunt and makes contact with the ball going straight down then bouncing back up and contacting the bat which was still over the plate in the bunting position. What is the correct call here?

My partner in the field (I was plate) quickly called foul ball, but I don't feel this was correct.

Check the interps of 6.05(h).

Eastshire Tue Jun 26, 2007 09:49am

Thanks for the reference. So, the batter should have been called out as the bat was over the plate and, therefore, in fair territory when it hit the ball the second time.

GarthB Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:35am

Quote:

Thanks for the reference. So, the batter should have been called out as the bat was over the plate and, therefore, in fair territory when it hit the ball the second time.

Uh, no. There is a difference between the bat hitting the ball a second time and the ball hitting the bat.

From JEA:

Professional Interpretation: A batted ball which bounces up sharply from the ground and is contacted a second time by the bat in fair territory is not grounds for calling the batter out. If no intent to interfere is evident and the batter is in the box, this shall be ruled a foul ball only.

Tim C Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:41am

Hehehehe,

Garth:

But every OOO would call the guy "OUT!", right?

Regards,

mbyron Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:49am

Who's the guy around here who keeps "intoning": "strikes and outs!"

A little knowledge....

shickenbottom Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:23am

Quote:

Eastshire, I never said the rule book only was the answer. I said to check the interps (Interpretations).

The general rule of thumb that I have learned is: A) If the ball hits the bat a second time over fair territory and there is no intent, then it's nothing (no interference) and you rule fair or foul based on the outcome. B) If the bat hits the ball a second time over fair territory, IE bat is directed toward the ball, then this is interference and the batter is out.

Garth also nailed the other possibility.

Tim C Tue Jun 26, 2007 02:40pm

mbyron

"Who's the guy around here who keeps "intoning": "strikes and outs!"

"A little knowledge...."

Excuse me if this is aimed at me can you be a little more specific?

mbyron Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:06am

Probably no more specific, but I can try to be a little less allusive. :)

Some umpires hear "call strikes and outs" and begin to call them even where they don't belong.

Hence "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing." Or, as Pope would have it:
Quote:

A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again.
You can put your hackles down, Tee. Not that I'm telling you what to do.... :cool:

gotblue? Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shickenbottom
The general rule of thumb that I have learned is: A) If the ball hits the bat a second time over fair territory and there is no intent, then it's nothing (no interference) and you rule fair or foul based on the outcome. B) If the bat hits the ball a second time over fair territory, IE bat is directed toward the ball, then this is interference and the batter is out.

What do you mean, in situation (A), by, "you rule fair or foul based on the outcome"?

I can't imagine a situation where I would rule "fair" on a ball that was hit a second time by a batter's bat. I would think the ruling would be either "foul" or "out".

mbyron Thu Jun 28, 2007 07:03am

Batter hits ball, drops bat, runs to 1B. Ball rolls into bat, remaining fair as a result. Fair ball, play on.

There, that wasn't so hard to imagine.

gotblue? Thu Jun 28, 2007 07:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron
Batter hits ball, drops bat, runs to 1B. Ball rolls into bat, remaining fair as a result. Fair ball, play on.

There, that wasn't so hard to imagine.

Well, I did say "on a ball that was hit a second time by a batter's bat", and I thought that is what the other post was referring to.

I did not realize that we were including the "ball rolls into bat" situation in this thread, as I assumed that everyone would be in agreement on how to call that.

I apologize.