The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Appeals

Batter hits a ground ball to the the 3B, who throws to first. BU calls the runner safe, because 1B foot is off the bag. Can the manager appeal the fielder's foot being on the bag directly to the PU or does he have to ask the BU to talk to the PU?
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup
Batter hits a ground ball to the the 3B, who throws to first. BU calls the runner safe, because 1B foot is off the bag. Can the manager appeal the fielder's foot being on the bag directly to the PU or does he have to ask the BU to talk to the PU?
He has to ask the BU.

Following that, the BU does NOT have to ask ask for help from the PU or anyone else.
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

I had something similar, but opposite call tonight. I bang a BR out from B. F3had a time finding the bag but finally put his foot on the edge a fraction before the BR arrived.

I move over to A and here comes the manager. He gets about 2/3 the way and motions with both hands towards me, as if he wants me to come to him. I tell him I'm not coming to him, so he drops his hands and keeps coming. He finally gets close enough and says he thinks I had a bad angle and could I appeal to PU. I say no way, I had a good angle, I saw him get his foot on the bag before the runner got there and made the call. That was it. He returns to the dugout.

He tried to have a conversation on the way back with my partner and he waved him off.
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
He tried to have a conversation on the way back with my partner and he waved him off.
Yay, partner! Nice to have a success story.
Old Fri Jul 13, 2007, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I was working the plate in an adult wood-bat game last night. At some point in the game there were runners on base when the batter squares to bunt. The batter makes no attempt to bunt but is slow pulling the bat back. The pitch is out of the zone and I announce 'ball'. F5, who also the manager, tells the catcher to ask for an appeal.

The catcher turns and asks me, "Can we appeal that?"

I answer, "For what?"

"I didn't think so."
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Presumably they wanted you to check with your partner whether the batter offered at the pitch.

This is a legitimate request, one which ordinarily I would have granted.
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

1) We all know the bat does not have to be "pulled back" any time during the pitch.

2) I also appears that this was just a checked/unchecked swing request and should have been acted upon.

Regards,
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Here's a funny one. I ring a batter up on a swing, pointing at him with my left hand and ringing up the strike.

From the 3rd base box I hear, "can i get some help on that"?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
2) I also appears that this was just a checked/unchecked swing request and should have been acted upon.
Possibly, but when I asked the catcher what he wanted to appeal he didn't answer and seemed annoyed at his manager for asking. The pitch was easily a foot off the outside corner and in the dirt and there definitely was no attempt to bunt.
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
Possibly, but when I asked the catcher what he wanted to appeal he didn't answer and seemed annoyed at his manager for asking. The pitch was easily a foot off the outside corner and in the dirt and there definitely was no attempt to bunt.
Doesn't matter where the pitch was. The batter made a half-swing (or half-bunt), and the defense made a legitimate request for an appeal.

As indicated, I'd grant this request, ESPECIALLY if the pitch was way outside: if you're watching the pitch, how do you know he didn't offer?
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 11:11am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Doesn't matter where the pitch was. The batter made a half-swing (or half-bunt), and the defense made a legitimate request for an appeal.

As indicated, I'd grant this request, ESPECIALLY if the pitch was way outside: if you're watching the pitch, how do you know he didn't offer?
While I agree of course that he should have asked for help since it was requested, it it quite easy for the PU to track the pitch and see the checked swing on his own. The PU should endeavor to get his own pitches, and not have to ask for help (unless requested) as much as possible. It looks weak for a PU to constantly need help on checked swings.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp

who CARES where the pitch was? your judging the SWING ATTEMPT, not the pitch

and you knew DARN WELL what Catch was asking about....its not a BASE appeal

WOW
Old Sat Jul 14, 2007, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe I should have asked for the appeal. This was a contentious game and the manager was being an *** to everyone near him. They got spanked in the first game of a DH and were losing by a few runs in game two when this incident occurred. The manager, catcher and pitcher were jawing at each other all night long. When I asked the catcher what he wanted he was quick to drop it and expressed his frustration toward the manager.

For the record, I can easily follow a pitch and watch for a bunt attempt. On this pitch an attempt would have been easy to see as the batter would have to fall over the plate in order to reach it.

Last edited by waltjp; Sat Jul 14, 2007 at 10:19pm.