The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

I'm a bit confused by the new appeal rule. I have questions following my comments.

Rule 8.2 PENALTY NOTE: "When a play by it's very nature is imminent and is obvious to the offense, defense, and umpires, no verbal appeal is necessary, e.g., runner attempting to retouch a base that was missed, or a failure to tag up and a throw has been made to that base or plate while a play is in progress."

In other words, a player who misses a base is out if the fielder makes a live ball appeal, the same as not tagging up: all the fielder needs to do is tag the base while the play is in progress.

Now Case Book 8.2.2 Situation N says that if a player misses home plate and makes no attempt to retouch, he is out if the catcher steps on the plate in an obvious appeal attempt. But if he is returning before the catcher steps on the plate, he is not out.

Rule 8-2-5 indicates, the runner must return immediately if he misses a base. Rule 8-4-2i indicates that the live ball appeal by a fielder is a timing play in situations 8-2-1,2,3, and 4. (So 8-2-5 is not a timing play).

My questions: (update: in each case, the runner is stealing and there is no force. And in each case playing action is ongoing, the runner has not stopped)

1. R1 misses second base, he is halfway toward third, F6 steps on second, obviously indicating R1 missed second. Is he out?

2. R1 misses second and rounds third and base coach tells him to return to second. Is the appeal a timing play?

3. Same as 2, but runner retouches third and is running toward second, if 2 is a timing play, is it still a timing play?

4. Suppose 1st and 3rd, runner from 1st steals and slides past 2nd missing the bag. He proceeds toward third hoping to get in a rundown to give runner from third a chance to score. F6 tags 2nd in an obvious appeal attempt and throws home. Ruling?

Thanks,

Joe Moore

[Edited by joemoore on Feb 24th, 2002 at 08:37 AM]
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Joe,

In you plays #1, 2, and 3 are all force plays, and therefore not time plays. (R1 has been forced to second because the batter became a batter-runner.) All the defense needs to do is tag the base or the runner, even if they are unaware that he missed second base. NOTE: Fed still recognizes the "accidental appeal" on force plays and on the batter-runner at first base. (see play 8.2.2E and situation 19 on the NHFS web site)

In your play #4 this is not a force play. It is a timing play. In the Fed appeal on a non force play the appeal must be unmistakable. If the runner has attempted to return to the base before the defense initiates the apeal, then the runner must be tagged. If the defense appeals before the runner attempts to return the offense may simply tag the base while holding the ball and indicate to the administering umpire why they are tagging the base. (See play 8.2.2N and situation 20 NHFS web site.)

The run-down is interesting. Has R1 attempted to return to his base, thereby requiring a tag of the player, and requireing the defense to tagg him? I think you must use your judgement here. You describe it as getting in the rundown to allow R3 to score. In that case, if the defense instituted an unmistakable live ball appeal, I would honor it. If R1 was attempting to return to a base he obviously knew he had missed, I would require the tag per the cites above.

Roger Greene
Old Sun Feb 24, 2002, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Sorry. In each case I meant to say R1 steals second. There is no force.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

In that case, the answer to #4 applies to each case.

Roger Greene
Old Mon Feb 25, 2002, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Joe:

Kyle McNeely is the permanent advisor to the NFHS rules committee.

Right now, he's in the midst of a five-part discussion of the new rule at eUmpire.com.

Drop over there, become a member, and read the answer ex cathedra; that is, from the horse's mouth — so to speak. (grin)

Then, after a month, if you don't think you're getting your money's worth, we'll give it all back.

BTW: If a runner is trying to return to his missed base, he's gotta be tagged — and not just at home. That's just like the Bremigan ruling that has startled so many OBR umpires.