The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Pitcher faking throw to 3rd base

I have read in training materials that a pitcher make fake a throw to 2nd or
3rd with his foot in contact with the rubber. He can only fake to 1st after stepping off the rubber. I had a manager complain that a left-handed pitcher cannot fake to 3rd without first stepping off. I see his point, but I have not seen any distinctions in the rules about whether a pitcher is right or left handed. Thoughts?
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

rinbee,

You shouldn't see his point because he doesn't have one. There are no disctinctions made in the rules between left-handed and right-handed pitchers. That is not an oversight.

JM
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinbee
3rd with his foot in contact with the rubber. He can only fake to 1st after stepping off the rubber. I had a manager complain that a left-handed pitcher cannot fake to 3rd without first stepping off. I see his point, but I have not seen any distinctions in the rules about whether a pitcher is right or left handed. Thoughts?
The rules are not written for left or right handed pitchers, they are written for pitchers in general. With that said, the manager is wrong. any pitcher can fake to 3rd or 2nd while still in contact. They still need to step toward the bag in question unless they have disengaged. As for faking to 1st, so long as the 1st movement is the step back off the rubber with the pivot foot, all is good with the world.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't ... what exactly was his point?
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 06:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
From the set Lefty can pivot with on his left foot and cock to throw to third without lifting his left foot from the rubber and without releasing the ball.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2007, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The handedness is not the issue. The base is the issue. The coach is an idiot. Why do you listen to idiots?