The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 19, 2009, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

I was looking at old threads and I found this one.

I know beanies (2 stitch) are considered to be out of style. Are the 4 stitch hats the same way or are they more acceptable in your area?
Old Thu Mar 19, 2009, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I was looking at old threads and I found this one.

I know beanies (2 stitch) are considered to be out of style. Are the 4 stitch hats the same way or are they more acceptable in your area?
Those are considered "plate" hats around here (even though they are "combo" in reality). It's acceptable for newer umpires to wear a combo cap for both bases and plate to reduce their start up costs.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2009, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
Those are considered "plate" hats around here (even though they are "combo" in reality). It's acceptable for newer umpires to wear a combo cap for both bases and plate to reduce their start up costs.
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I'm talking about plate only. I wear 8-stitch on the bases always. I'm definitely not going to wear a beanie on the plate, but I'm debating whether or not to get a 4 or 6 for the plate.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2009, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Out, then up. Doesn't matter how many stitches.
Do you have a low pro mask?... I have 2 of them and a * stitch is very hard to get off...

I wear a 4 stitch behind the dish and a 6 stitch on the bases
Old Thu Mar 19, 2009, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I'm talking about plate only. I wear 8-stitch on the bases always. I'm definitely not going to wear a beanie on the plate, but I'm debating whether or not to get a 4 or 6 for the plate.
I can't take my mask off properly with a 6... it always flies off. I've heard tales of guys being able to do that, but I can't take my mask off with anything bigger than a 4 stitch.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 05:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Delaware Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
I can't take my mask off properly with a 6... it always flies off. I've heard tales of guys being able to do that, but I can't take my mask off with anything bigger than a 4 stitch.
I wear an All Star I-Bar Vision mask and can remove it wearing either a 6 or 8 stitch hat. If the harness is adjusted properly, it should not be a problem.

At one time I used a Wilson low profile mask and wore a 4 stitch hat with that mask. It had less to do with removing the mask and more to do with the bill of a 6 or 8 stitch hat sticking out too far to be comfortable with that mask.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Wear a bucket and you do not have to worry about the number of stitches! (except in Alabama?)
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

Quote:
"I've heard tales of guys being able to do that, . . . "
Hardly a "tale" in my part of the country. Most all of the upper level umpires in the Portland area wear 8 stitch caps when working the plate.

Here is kind of what I tell umpires that are having "caps for laps" problems:

1) Your mask is much more important than the number of stitches in your cap.

2) If you use a "low profile" type mask you'll never be able to wear an 8 stitch cap.

3) Make sure your mask is worn loosely -- when you look down at the ground your mask should easily swing away from your chin.

4) When you buy a mask the FIRST thing you should do is remove the harness from the inside "ear" connections and move that connection to the outside of the ears.

5) Your mask should "hang" from the bill of your cap . . . under no circumstance should you wear a mask snuggly. When you take a foul ball off directly off your mask your mask should either twist around your head or even pop clear off . . . think of what happens when a Forumla 1 car crashes . . . parts fly everywhere . . . this disapates the energy of the crash (foul ball).

6) Learn (and practice) pulling your mask away from your face and then turning the chin area upwards to clear your cap. Practice, Practice, Practice.

7) Always where a slighly smaller cap when working the plate.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
Hardly a "tale" in my part of the country. Most all of the upper level umpires in the Portland area wear 8 stitch caps when working the plate.

Here is kind of what I tell umpires that are having "caps for laps" problems:

1) Your mask is much more important than the number of stitches in your cap.

2) If you use a "low profile" type mask you'll never be able to wear an 8 stitch cap.

3) Make sure your mask is worn loosely -- when you look down at the ground your mask should easily swing away from your chin.

4) When you buy a mask the FIRST thing you should do is remove the harness from the inside "ear" connections and move that connection to the outside of the ears.

5) Your mask should "hang" from the bill of your cap . . . under no circumstance should you wear a mask snuggly. When you take a foul ball off directly off your mask your mask should either twist around your head or even pop clear off . . . think of what happens when a Forumla 1 car crashes . . . parts fly everywhere . . . this disapates the energy of the crash (foul ball).

6) Learn (and practice) pulling your mask away from your face and then turning the chin area upwards to clear your cap. Practice, Practice, Practice.

7) Always where a slighly smaller cap when working the plate.
Thanks Tim. Looks like I need a 4 or 6 stitch since I'm using a low profile mask.

Anyone have experience with a 6 stitch with a low profile? Is it doable?
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

I have yet to see anyone wear a 4 stitch. I have seen some wear a 6 and reverse the cap so the bill is sticking out from behind their heads.(competitive youth games, not HS games.) They say they never have a problem flipping the mask with their hat coming off. I have practiced at home with wearing my 6 stitch both ways and it is a lot easier to wear the heat backwards but I am not tempted to do that yet but I keep practicing as suggested in earlier posts to pull mask forward first then up. Thanks for all the good suggestions. I assume their is a proper protocol for wearing your hat forwards.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

I have worn three different low profile masks and....

have used 4 and 6 stitch hats under them. I prefer the 6, which I also like on the bases. I now use a Titanium mask so the light weight of the mask really helps with it weighing down the bill of the hat. I never have a problem.
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDave View Post
have used 4 and 6 stitch hats under them. I prefer the 6, which I also like on the bases. I now use a Titanium mask so the light weight of the mask really helps with it weighing down the bill of the hat. I never have a problem.
Same.

Low-profile titanium/six-stitch cap ... no problem. I grab my loosely worn mask by the throat extension and peel to the left in a way that has the pads facing the infield, not the ground. It's the way to accommodate the six-stitch with the low-profile mask.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

What's the difference between 4 stitch and 8 stitch?
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
4 stitches
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
It determines how many rows of stitches are on the bill. An 8 is the longest, then 6, then 4, then the beanie. Go to Ump Attire and it shows them all.