The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

runner falls down!

Bases empty, ground ball to SS, batter/runner twist his ankle running to first. He falls down in pain. The throw sails into the dugout. Batter/runner is awarded 2b. He hobbles to 2b. Does he have to touch 1b? If appealed for missing 1b, is it an out?
Thank you
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

cards2323,

Even though accepting an award while the ball is dead, the runner is required to run the bases legally. If he failed to touch 1B on his way to 2B, he is subject to being called out on a properly constituted appeal by the defense.

If he is incapacitated to the degree that he is unable (or unwilling) to "complete" his award, another player may be substituted for him - but that player must also advance "legally".

JM
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

I had one yesterday when I was on the bases where the batter got hit by a pitch with nobody on base. He chucked his bat so the plate umpire tossed him. The player went straight to the dugout without touching first and left the ballpark. A pinch runner went in for him, who touched first, and the game resumed. I'm not sure whether an ejection situation is the same as one with an injury.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
I had one yesterday when I was on the bases where the batter got hit by a pitch with nobody on base. He chucked his bat so the plate umpire tossed him. The player went straight to the dugout without touching first and left the ballpark. A pinch runner went in for him, who touched first, and the game resumed. I'm not sure whether an ejection situation is the same as one with an injury.
Got EJ'd for tossing his bat after being HBP??? Did he toss his bat in anger? What other reason could there be?
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think you may have an out here. Ejections occur after action stops. He should have ran out his own award first.

(PS - I'm also curious about the actual reason for the ejection... what exactly did "chucked his bat" mean in this particular case?)
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

He threw his bat about 90 feet so that it hit a lawnchair. Fortunatly the woman who had been sitting there had left the chair for a while.

Last edited by canadaump6; Fri May 25, 2007 at 02:16pm.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Duh, chucked his bat as in threw his bat 90 feet so that it hit a lawnchair where fortunatly the woman who had been sitting there had left the chair for a while.
So this is what your were supposed to post in your OP and since it wasn't there and we are supposed to assume or read your mind.

Canada, I don't know you and would not presume to do so, but posting like this are why people on this board question your credibility.

Also, a batter who has just been HBP and throws a bat "90 feet" for no other reason makes no sense.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

My apologies guys. I put the "duh" in there thinking that I was responding to someone who had dissed me in another post. I thought that Mccrowder had been making fun of me so I tried to retaliate, but after reading the thread where I got flamed I now know he wasn't trash talking me. Sorry about that Mccrowder, my mistake.