The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 26, 2004, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

I have a question for all my veteran and non-veteran fellow "blues" out there...coaches too. I've been kicking an idea around in my head about giving a one-day, 8-hour clinic to ASA umpires in the area. I was wondering what needs to be included in an 8-hour day that will do the following:

1. refresh veterans
2. inform novices
3. keep everyone goind

Basically, what is the main thing that needs to be done in this 8-hour day that will start to prepare umpires for a softball season (unlike some of my friends in texas, georgia and california, it SNOWS all winter here).

I welcome any help.

Old Thu Aug 26, 2004, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

What is your focus? Mechanics? Rules knowledge? Interpretations of difficult rules (ie, IP, obstruction, DP/FLEX, etc). Anyone of those subjects could take up most of your day.

If you will email me (see profile) I will share with you my plans for Association Softball training (NFHS) this winter.

WMB
Old Thu Aug 26, 2004, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FUBLUE
I have a question for all my veteran and non-veteran fellow "blues" out there...coaches too. I've been kicking an idea around in my head about giving a one-day, 8-hour clinic to ASA umpires in the area. I was wondering what needs to be included in an 8-hour day that will do the following:

1. refresh veterans
2. inform novices
3. keep everyone goind

Basically, what is the main thing that needs to be done in this 8-hour day that will start to prepare umpires for a softball season (unlike some of my friends in texas, georgia and california, it SNOWS all winter here).

I welcome any help.

If you are dealing with mechanics, I would not mix new umpires with veterans. The "I've been around long enough, I know what to do and no one can tell me any different" usually end up mocking clinicians and telling the new umpires about how "they" do it.

This means the new umpires are often getting conflicting views/info and cannot concentrate on what they need to do to become a good umpire.

Old Thu Aug 26, 2004, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally posted by FUBLUE

1. refresh veterans
2. inform novices
3. keep everyone goind

I welcome any help.

If you are dealing with mechanics, I would not mix new umpires with veterans. The "I've been around long enough, I know what to do and no one can tell me any different" usually end up mocking clinicians and telling the new umpires about how "they" do it.

This means the new umpires are often getting conflicting views/info and cannot concentrate on what they need to do to become a good umpire.

Oh so true...and often it's the "been there, done that" crowd that needs to review the mechanics.

Old Thu Aug 26, 2004, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

FU,

Get us a date and we might be able to come over and help out, if that's okay with you.

I agree with Mike, keep newer umpires and "Seasoned" umpires separate.

The big thing I have seen all season is really poor plate mechanics. Spend alot of time teaching the new umpires to

1. Get their mask off
2. Get out from behind the catcher and trail the runner(When Applicable)
3. Get to the Circle(When Applicable)
4. Cover 3rd when applicable
5. COMMUNICATE COMMUNICATE COMMUNICATE
Old Thu Aug 26, 2004, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kellerumps
FU,

Get us a date and we might be able to come over and help out, if that's okay with you.

I agree with Mike, keep newer umpires and "Seasoned" umpires separate.

The big thing I have seen all season is really poor plate mechanics. Spend alot of time teaching the new umpires to

1. Get their mask off
2. Get out from behind the catcher and trail the runner(When Applicable)
3. Get to the Circle(When Applicable)
4. Cover 3rd when applicable
5. COMMUNICATE COMMUNICATE COMMUNICATE
I gotta add; #,s 2-5 need to be taught to old umpires also!
(most of us are pretty adept at getting our masks off!)

Mike's idea to not mix new umpires with veterans is very good. Besides the reasons he gave, the newer ones may wind up feeling intimidated by some of the old hands. I've seen several drop-outs where this may have occured. Don't overlook the knowledge and experience of the older group though, maybe partner old and new for some of the clinic.

One area which needs a lot of teaching for the newer guys are the game management skills. Some things which get overlooked in some clinics are; pre-game responsibilities, meeting with coaches, handling irate coaches or fans, when to eject and how, (also how to avoid having to eject). Some things as simple as where to enter and exit the field will confuse newer umpires.

Small groups IMO seem to benefit more than the larger ones also. Maybe this is where the experienced blues can help out most. Maybe have different small groups "compete" against each other in a mechanics "olympics".

Above all, as much as possible, AVOID LECTURES!
Old Thu Aug 26, 2004, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

This would be for the newer umpires.

Looks are important such as: shirt tucked into pants, shoes shined, proper uniform and equipment, protective equipment inside of clothes-not put on over clothes, etc.

Know the rules. Don't try to do too much like slowpitch and fastpitch. Also stay with ASA until they gain experience. The others (USSSA and NFHS) have different rules.

Always remember three rules that I was taught when I began umpiring. 1) On a close play, you will only please 50% of the people and 2) The lawn chair people will see the game better and know the rules better than the umpires and 3) Follow the ball.