The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Last night I had a pitcher take 3 come backers and he fielded all of them cleanly, but if he had missed 2 of them we would have been cleaning pitcher up of the ground. To compound that one of the players on the pitchers team points out to me that there have now been 3 balls hit back at the pitcher and he was going to do something about it. So his next at bat he tells his runner at 2B to keep his "heads up". He crushes a pitch that fortunately went up as it was leaving the park in less than 2 seconds (for an out). If he had hit it as a line drive there is no doubt in my mind that the pitcher would have been "seriously tested" to get out of the way.

I am starting to believe that pitchers need some type of protection out there by rule. However, I am not sure that anything like that could be successfully managed and not change the game significantly.

Last night was E ball and the mix of players that play down levels, hot bats, and players that are not able to react quick enough really has me concerned for the safety of some of these players.

2 questions for all of you:
Do any of you think that this needs to be addressed by the governing bodies for Slow Pitch?

How do you handle a player that has told you that he is going to "buzz the tower" to protect his guy?
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Like most of the umpires out there I spent most of youth on various baseball/softball fields. I agree that maybe the picture should be wearing somekind of helmet, or facemask. But this opinion is reserved for FP. In Slow pitch I think that there should be suggestions as for protection but I don't believe that Rules should require protection for the pitchers.

As for Adults coming up to bat and saying "he is going to "buzz the tower" to protect his guy?"

I believe that I would have sent him to the parking lot for USC...
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

The middle is the biggest hole in the infield. It is the most logical place to hit the ball, so why wouldn't people go in that direction?

You want to stop the logical choice, play a 5-man infield.

The danger is much higher in the SP game, but I'm certainly not going to toss someone for hitting the ball up the middle. The pitcher has a glove and is in whatever position they choose voluntarily.

If a pitcher, or any other fielder, wants to wear head protection on defense, it is their option. I don't believe it is necessary to mandate such equipment.

Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Not a thing you can do about the risk.

I was hit in the face once by a come-backer long ago. That shot ended my career as a SP pitcher. The pain & recovery from that broken bridge of the nose stuck with me for a long time. That was over 20 years ago. I still think of it today when I'm on the field.

I shudder today when, as a PU, I see F1s (or anybody, for that matter) get nailed anywhere on the body with a sharply batted ball. If I see F1 take a head shot, that's it ... dead ball, time out, and I have to place the runners after making sure the poor guy/gal can count my fingers. That's my responsibility as PU.

When I calmly think about it, I remember that come-backers are a risk in all softball/baseball variations. It's not just the head at risk, either. Injuries to rib cages, collarbones, and other body parts are always a risk, too. A simple face mask won't cure the problem.

Face it: if you're a pitcher, you assume the risk of a come-backer. You have to tell yourself you're fast enough -- either with your glove or to get out of the way -- to avoid harm at all times. And if you're not (as I wasn't), you'd best pick another position (I've since found out PU isn't the safest place on the field, either ).

In your "threat" situation: had I heard that threat, I probably would have used ASA 10.1.J-3 to eject him for USC. But it's a very rare batter who can actually carry that threat out. HTBT ... maybe he was kidding (and then again, maybe not) ... maybe the batter is just a jerk. At that level of play you never know; but it's best not to find out.

A ball field is no place for "blood revenge" play ... at least not one governed by ASA rules, and definitely not on my field. I may be a rook, but I don't allow that c**p. Period.
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Years ago there was this one pitcher that would complain about every single pitch not called a strike, even the ones that hit the plate. He was very aggressive when it was his turn to bat, always shooting the box, when he would hit a pitcher with the batted ball he would laugh and make fun. This guy was one of the most obnoxious a-holes any one could ever meet. I don't mind telling that when his career as a player was ended more than one umpire and player could only laugh at the irony. It seams that a hot shot hit him in the snot bucket and upper mouth area, breaking his nose and removing three teeth. That is the only time I was happy that a pitcher got hit.

As for protecting the pitcher.
1) Have a wider strike zone, it is the pitches straight down the middle that buzz the tower the most.
2) Hot bats for hot player, low level players should not be able to use hot bats.
3) Softballs used to be softer, remember when soft balls were just bigger baseballs, yarn wrapped around a cork core?
4) Move the rubber back, In USSSA the pitch can pitch anywhere from the rubber to 2nd base.

These are just suggestions, I am not a fool and know that most of these ideas will never be implemented. But some day (may have already happened) somebody will get killed by a hit off of a hot bat. There is NO way I would be a pitch in slow pitch softball.

Bugg
Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BuggBob
4) Move the rubber back, In USSSA the pitch can pitch anywhere from the rubber to 2nd base.

These are just suggestions, I am not a fool and know that most of these ideas will never be implemented. But some day (may have already happened) somebody will get killed by a hit off of a hot bat. There is NO way I would be a pitch in slow pitch softball.

Bugg
Sadly, there have been deaths that have occurred. As for #4. The pitcher can pitch the ball in USSSA from anywhere he wants to. However, if the pitcher is not in contact with the rubber when he is pitching it is unfarily delivered and a ball unless the batter swings at it. You have a bit of a misrepresentation of the USSSA pithcing rule there.
Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by baldgriff

Sadly, there have been deaths that have occurred. As for #4. The pitcher can pitch the ball in USSSA from anywhere he wants to. However, if the pitcher is not in contact with the rubber when he is pitching it is unfarily delivered and a ball unless the batter swings at it. You have a bit of a misrepresentation of the USSSA pithcing rule there.
To anyone who knows me (or even if you don't). let me preface this with the statement that I don't do USSSA, nor do I do slowpitch anymore. Also, I really am not homophobic. That being said.....

Am I the only one who thinks the USSSA call "Unfairly Delivered" is about the most gay thing an umpire can say?? It is a frigging illegal pitch; why wouldn't you call it one??
Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AtlUmpSteve

Am I the only one who thinks the USSSA call "Unfairly Delivered" is about the most gay thing an umpire can say?? It is a frigging illegal pitch; why wouldn't you call it one??
Not that there's anything WRONG with that...
Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AtlUmpSteve

TomAto/Tomahto

To be honest I just call it a ball after it crosses the plate.

End of story.