The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Can anyone tell me whether 10-and-under ASA FP has a limit on the innings a pitcher can pitch? I can't find anything in the book, but I seem to recall some limit. Of course, I might be remembering some rec league's house rules.

Also, suppose I as umpire remove a pitcher for excessive conferences, excessive speed (SP), or continual violations in the delivery (SP). Three innings later, the pitcher returns to the mound to pitch and the coach informs me of the change. Do I say, "Sorry, coach, this pitcher can't pitch any more," or do I simply inform the other team of the change and leave it to them to protest the illegal pitcher? Naturally, the offending team would be risking having this player disqualified.

Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
Can anyone tell me whether 10-and-under ASA FP has a limit on the innings a pitcher can pitch? I can't find anything in the book, but I seem to recall some limit. Of course, I might be remembering some rec league's house rules.
No.

Quote:
Also, suppose I as umpire remove a pitcher for excessive conferences, excessive speed (SP), or continual violations in the delivery (SP). Three innings later, the pitcher returns to the mound to pitch and the coach informs me of the change. Do I say, "Sorry, coach, this pitcher can't pitch any more," or do I simply inform the other team of the change and leave it to them to protest the illegal pitcher? Naturally, the offending team would be risking having this player disqualified.
Unless the pitcher is reentering the BO, you may not get a "change" from the team.

Preventive umpiring would dictate that if you know this player is not allowed to pitch, you walk over and tell the manager to find another pitcher. If they sneak it by you, then the player becomes an Illegal Pitcher which, when discovered, is DQ'd.

Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

No limit in ASA softball for innings pitched at any level.

I believe that preventative officiating suggests you advise the coach announcing the substitution that the pitcher is not eligible to pitch. If s/he insists, simply report the substitution (change), and let the offended team do what they do, and rule accordingly.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, guys.

Incidentally, IrishMafia, I had the pleasure of working a college doubleheader with a fine umpire from Delaware named Bruce Weaver. Working with him was like attending a clinic.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

At what point...

...does the re-inserted pitcher become an illegal player? Before or after the first pitch he/she throws?

Assume the pitcher goes back out to the pitching plate, you've informed the other coach, and the coach says "hey, he/she can't pitch, you removed them earlier" before the pitcher throws a pitch. Do you DQ the pitcher then - before they've thrown a pitch, or do you wait until they've thrown a pitch?
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Re: At what point...

Quote:
Originally posted by SRW
...does the re-inserted pitcher become an illegal player? Before or after the first pitch he/she throws?

Assume the pitcher goes back out to the pitching plate, you've informed the other coach, and the coach says "hey, he/she can't pitch, you removed them earlier" before the pitcher throws a pitch. Do you DQ the pitcher then - before they've thrown a pitch, or do you wait until they've thrown a pitch?
Speaking ASA

An Illegal Player has not violated the rule until a pitch has been thrown or a play made.
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

That's what I thought.

Thanks!
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Thanks, guys.

Incidentally, IrishMafia, I had the pleasure of working a college doubleheader with a fine umpire from Delaware named Bruce Weaver. Working with him was like attending a clinic.
He was my partner on my first night as a paid umpire, taught me some good things and still helps.
Old Sat Jun 04, 2005, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Hi, I pitched in a USSSA game at age 12... and i could only pitch 4 innings.. i didnt know what was up with that.. so we just let me pitch 2.. the other girl 2.. and then so on.. hay it werked.. that rules pretty stupid
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pitchR_ECU
Quote:

Hi, I pitched in a USSSA game at age 12... and i could only pitch 4 innings.. i didnt know what was up with that.. so we just let me pitch 2.. the other girl 2.. and then so on.. hay it werked.. that rules pretty stupid
No such rule exists in USSSA at any level. Must have been a local rule.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pitchR_ECU
Hi, I pitched in a USSSA game at age 12... and i could only pitch 4 innings.. that rules pretty stupid
Rules like this are local rules (LL excepted - I think - I don't call LL) in rec leagues that have only one purpose: to keep a rec team from dominating every game with one good pitcher.
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

My local league thinks that their reason for this rule is to develop more pitchers and to protect their arms. Or at least that's what they say they think their reason is.
Old Mon Jun 06, 2005, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
My local league thinks that their reason for this rule is to develop more pitchers and to protect their arms. Or at least that's what they say they think their reason is.
"Develop more pitchers" is a variation on the "can't dominate with one pitcher" reason - a team must have 2 or more pitchers to play a typical league double header. "Protect their arms" is only an issue if their mechanics are horrible (which, I guess, could be true in a rec league).