The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Pitchers (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/34910-pitchers.html)

oxt Tue May 22, 2007 01:34pm

Pitchers

We use the free substitution rule in our local Cal Ripkin 11 / 12 yr. old league. My question to you guys,,,,Should or does the free substitution rule apply to the pitcher also. I never knew the pitcher could re-enter as a pitcher as many times as wanted or needed in a game. I thought a pitcher could only re-enter as a pitcher one time.

SanDiegoSteve Tue May 22, 2007 02:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxt
We use the free substitution rule in our local Cal Ripkin 11 / 12 yr. old league. My question to you guys,,,,Should or does the free substitution rule apply to the pitcher also. I never knew the pitcher could re-enter as a pitcher as many times as wanted or needed in a game. I thought a pitcher could only re-enter as a pitcher one time.

If you are using free substitution, any player can play any position at any time. All pitching restrictions go right out the window.

The league might want to reconsider free substitution, as it is loaded with problems. There are batting orders and pitching regulations for a reason, and organization and order are big considerations.

bob jenkins Tue May 22, 2007 02:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxt

Is this a local league rule? If so, you'll have to ask the local league.

Blue37 Wed May 23, 2007 09:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxt

Our 11-12 league uses a continuous batting order and free substitution on defense, with a special restriction on the pitcher. Once he leaves the mound, he cannot pitch again in that game.

Rich Ives Wed May 23, 2007 10:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue37
Our 11-12 league uses a continuous batting order and free substitution on defense, with a special restriction on the pitcher. Once he leaves the mound, he cannot pitch again in that game.

You're quoting your rule (also the LL rule) for a Cal Ripken league. They don't apply here.

I'd post what does apply except oxt doesn't believe my answer on another board.

Hint: CR uses OBR and the player moved to another defensive position.

Blue37 Wed May 23, 2007 10:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives
You're quoting your rule (also the LL rule) for a Cal Ripken league. They don't apply here.

I'd post what does apply except oxt doesn't believe my answer on another board.

Hint: CR uses OBR and the player moved to another defensive position.

Sorry Rich,

I misinterpreted what he was asking. I thought he was looking for ways it was handled in other leagues.

oxt Thu May 24, 2007 02:33pm

No, no Rich, I believe you. I just wanted to hear what others thought about it. Maybe I can get these guys here to write a ground rule stating otherewise.
I just don't think a coach should use a child that way, just to win games !! I like to win, but hey, I'll use all the boys I have to play the game. Thats why they'e out there. It ain't like they are being paid to play yet.
Thanks for replying,,,, have a good year.