The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Fair or Foul?

12 year old players, 15 year old umps.........

No outs. Nobody on base. Ball hit down the right field line. Home plate up yells foul. First base up points fair. Batter reaches second base. What’s the call? Fair or foul?
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Foul. . . .
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman
12 year old players, 15 year old umps.........

No outs. Nobody on base. Ball hit down the right field line. Home plate up yells foul. First base up points fair. Batter reaches second base. What’s the call? Fair or foul?
Depends.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Depends.
Depends on your definition of yell.
If PU yelled in a loud whisper "foul" and no one heard him then fair it is.

But it goes back to the age old question:
If an ump makes a call in the forest and no one hears it ..........
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 11:16am
Administrator

With no one on base, there is only one person who is to make the call, and that is the BU, not the PU, unless, the BU really screwed it up. I had a situation last week where I was the PU with no one on base. The right-handed batter hits a flair down the right field line. The BU, instead of going down the line to be in position to signal fair or foul, he runs from the "A" position to the "B" position and is signaling fair at the same time. The only problem with this fair call, was that the ball was foul by at least six inches. My BU was out of position and kicked the call. As PU I stepped in and made the correct call.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Mark - he didn't ask whose call it is. He asks what it is when PU yells (and Don/Garth ... he did say "yells" - I think it's safe to assume that he meant everyone heard it) FOUL and the BU points fair. Yes, this was supposed to be BU's call ... but a balled called FOUL where the call is heard is foul. Unringable bell.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

The age of the players was given in the OP but not the set of rules they were playing under.

Fed rules covers this in 2-16-1e

"A foul is a batted ball that touches the ground after inadvertently being declared foul by an umpire."

If this were a FED game we would have a foul ball no matter which umpire called it or how loudly he called it!
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
(and Don/Garth ... he did say "yells" - I think it's safe to assume that he meant everyone heard it) FOUL and the BU points fair. Yes, this was supposed to be BU's call ... but a balled called FOUL where the call is heard is foul. Unringable bell.
I'm sorry I forgot to put a little smiley face on my post to indicate a not so subtle attempt at sarcasm.
I obviously failed.

In any event I agree with you.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Mark - he didn't ask whose call it is. He asks what it is when PU yells (and Don/Garth ... he did say "yells" - I think it's safe to assume that he meant everyone heard it) FOUL and the BU points fair. Yes, this was supposed to be BU's call ... but a balled called FOUL where the call is heard is foul. Unringable bell.
Not so fast.

I have witnessed, first hand, two instances at the ML level in which foul calls were changed to fair. One was changed by the same umpire who made the foul call and one was the result of a huddle. The "get the call right" crowd has run amok. Neither invovled a question of H/R v. foul, which would add additional occurances.

The first instance, by Bruce F. on a shot down the LF line resulted in R2 being tagged out half way between second and third and an ejection.

Now then, about FED.....

(edited to correct a typo)

Last edited by GarthB; Tue May 22, 2007 at 10:26am.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

thanks guys. The runner made it to second. The umpires dsicussed it and they were actually going to let the runner stay at second. Then umpries' supivsor came over and told them to rule it foul.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Not so fast.

I have witnessed, first hand, two instances at the ML level in which foul calls were changed to fair. One was changed by the same umpire who made the foul call and one was the result of a huddle. The "get the call right" crowd has run amok. Neither invovled a question of H/R v. foul, which would add additional occurances.

The first instance, by Bruce F. on a shot down the LF line resulted in R12 being tagged out half way between second and third and an ejection.

Now then, about FED.....
I didn't see the MLB instances ... by why was anyone still running if Bruce Froemming yelled FOUL!?
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Guys, if this was a 60' Little League game then in most cases U1 from A would not call fair/foul, but pivot into the infield, unless of course this was discussed in the pre-game. I've found that in working with younger umpires, its easier to just have the PU take all fair/foul on the little field.

FYI, what is R12?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 07:21pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I don't know...if you F-up and call it foul...eat it and suck it up you kicked one...if you call foul, it's foul...don't have the books here this week...but even if the catcher hears you...you know he'll tell his coach that he heard you say foul...these kids are young umpires...probably little or no training...instead of cutting the kids down...help them out so that they still want to umpire...so many young kids could become great umpires and they have one bad experience when they're younger and they hang it up...at that age...everybody on the field at that age is there to learn the game of baseball and to have fun period.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino

FYI, what is R12?

Used to be a common refrigerant in air-conditioners, has been replaced by R-134 in most applications.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
Used to be a common refrigerant in air-conditioners, has been replaced by R-134 in most applications.
As the EPA has declared it an ozone-depleting agent.