The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Question New Umpire in CT seeking umpiring assignments

Can anyone direct me to an assigner for Little League, Babe Ruth, Men's league and girl's softball games. I have been umpiring since April and am looking to link up with an assigner. I currently work games in Westchester county, NY and Fairfield county, CT. I reside in Milford, CT and would like to link up in that area if possible. Any information you can give me is greatly appreciated. I can provide references if need be.
Thanks in advance...
P.S. It's nice to be in the umpires club now...
NOTE: I will be taking the high school baseball umpires test later this year. But I have gone through training and umpired games in the following already. Catholic League High School varsity, Mens Senior League baseball (48 & older, 28 & older), Little League, Girls Little league (fast pitch).

Thanks again... I should have been doing this years ago!!!
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

For HS boards, you have the Fairfield HS Board and The Greater New Haven Baseball Umpires Board. I belong to the latter.

The GNHBU will assign Varsity & sub-varsity during the HS season. They also assign a multitude of youth games during the summer along with AAU out of Long Island (most played in North Branford)

There is also the Orange Umpire's Association (to which I also belong) that works the Orange Complex, Milford, Derby, Bethany. I can provide names for the GNHBU and Orange but I do not know anyone on the Fairfield Board. PM me if you are interested.

Regards
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
The GNHBU will assign Varsity & sub-varsity during the HS season.
I'd be VERY suprised if they assigned you Varsity games in your first year. I know guys in CT. that have been umpiring for more than 5 years and haven't even sniffed a Varsity game in CT.

-g
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibgman
I'd be VERY suprised if they assigned you Varsity games in your first year. I know guys in CT. that have been umpiring for more than 5 years and haven't even sniffed a Varsity game in CT.

-g
I cannot speak for the Fairfield Board, but GNHBU will not assign Varsity even to an experienced transfer until he/she prove themselves with at least 2 years of sub-varsity!
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Understand the Pecking order

Hey thanks for the quick responses.

I do understand the pecking order and the need to work the lower levels before varsity games are assigned and I have no problem with that at all. I worked the high school game due to the field umpire not showing (said he was unaware of assignment) & I was thrust into duty out of default and both coaches agreeing (I was only there to watch the game and observe the veteran umpires). After the game both coaches and the plate umpire (my assigner in Westchester County NY) said I did an excellent job. I have also done some modified (8th/9th grade) baseball games.

This is a very nice site also. I've gotten a lot of insight in the various situations that occur during the course of a game...
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
I cannot speak for the Fairfield Board, but GNHBU will not assign Varsity even to an experienced transfer until he/she prove themselves with at least 2 years of sub-varsity!
This is sad. We evaluate transfers and put them where their abilities dictate, not their tenure.

Would your association ignore the experience and ability of a transfer who had been to proschool, was a former MiLB umpires and had worked D-1 prior to moving to your area just because he was new?

Thank God we didn't.
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
This is sad. We evaluate transfers and put them where their abilities dictate, not their tenure.

Would your association ignore the experience and ability of a transfer who had been to proschool, was a former MiLB umpires and had worked D-1 prior to moving to your area just because he was new?

Thank God we didn't.
I'm not in charge, Garth. Our "leaders" make the decisions and we just conform (yeah, right!). We had a fellow come in from the Dominican Republic League - MiLB class! He was working JV games!

If I had anything to say, I would deal with transfers in the fashion that you suggested, Garth but when you are dealing with "clicks" and "good'ol'boys", you just keep quiet. I do not subscribe to the "click" system so I am a renegade - kind of like I am here!
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
NewUmpinCT

check your PM. If you can travel, I can put you into some 14-17YO LL (and under - Majors and Minors].
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Just Replied back to PM

Rob, I just replied back to your PM with contact information.
Old Fri May 18, 2007, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibgman

-g
I belong to the Hartford Board and personnally know that if you come in with letters of recommendations as an experienced official, there is a need for you.
Ability means a lot in the organization.

By the same token a LOT of officials come into organizations with bragging experience and thats about it.

Don't get me wrong I have belonged to organizations that go by good ole boy networks, coaches rating systems, sucking up to the assignor and I have even seen kickback assigning. It interesting.

One thing for sure though, if the organization you belong to is not fair in its assignments, don't be afraid to change. And by fair I don't mean whats only good for you.