The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Intent to swing

I had a 50/70 game last night w/ 11 year olds. Inside pitch, the kid jumps out the way and tries to use the bat to prevent the ball from hitting him. The ball goes to the backstop. I called a strike on the swing. The third base coach comes running down and says, he did not intend on hitting the ball, he was protecting himself. I asked him if he hit a homerun while protecting himself, would we wave it off? Was this correct?
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup
I had a 50/70 game last night w/ 11 year olds. Inside pitch, the kid jumps out the way and tries to use the bat to prevent the ball from hitting him. The ball goes to the backstop. I called a strike on the swing. The third base coach comes running down and says, he did not intend on hitting the ball, he was protecting himself. I asked him if he hit a homerun while protecting himself, would we wave it off? Was this correct?
Did he try to hit the ball with the bat? That's all that matters. I don't think a home run is possible so the comment you made may be out of line.
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 09:16pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Did he try to hit the ball with the bat? That's all that matters. I don't think a home run is possible so the comment you made may be out of line.

DG:

While the batter may not hit a homerun, but the ball could have been rebounded into fair territory and the batter could advance to first base.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
While the batter may not hit a homerun, but the ball could have been rebounded into fair territory and the batter could advance to first base.

MTD, Sr.
I was commenting on the smart alek comment to the coach about hitting a home run while dodging a pitch. Read carefully and you will see that I asked "did he try to hit the ball with the bat. That's all that matters."
Old Thu May 10, 2007, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
I was commenting on the smart alek comment to the coach about hitting a home run while dodging a pitch. Read carefully and you will see that I asked "did he try to hit the ball with the bat. That's all that matters."
Not always. For example, a pitch that hits a bat that is resting on the batters shoulder and was never moved, is still ruled fair or foul depending on where the ball goes, right?
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Let's look at another one:

Pitch comes in way inside. As RH batter backs out he turns his body to his left, rotating it 90 degrees and in the process, the bat moves from his right shoulder and crosses in front of him.

Strike? Nothing?
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 12:42am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
I do not find that a smart aleck comment in any way. I think it is a legitimate question to a coach that is trying to question balls and strikes. He had every right to simply dump him. If the coach is stuck on the fact it was not a swing, then he we have the right to ask a question that helps him understand what he is really complaining about. I have also found this is a great way to turn the conversation in our favor when you ask coaches a question. Usually they do not have a good answer or it makes them think about what they are really complaining about and they know where they stand with you. The coach in this situation is trying to suggest the umpire was wrong based on a very flawed point of view.

Peace
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

I always wonder what to do when a kid bails out of the way of a pitch coming at his legs, and as he does so actually waves at the ball with his bat. The waving at the ball was an unnecessary action, but it was hard to imagine calling it an attempt to hit the pitch either.
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Was the pitch coming straight at him? If so I think we need to consider that this is just an 11 year old kid trying to protect himself. Yea, I know it could be considered as an attempt, but that's not a call I'm going to make on an 11 year old. Bigger boys, sure, but not in kiddie ball.

Tim.
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 12:53am
Do not give a damn!!

Would you call a ball on a batter that clearly bailed out on a curve ball just because they are kids? The age has little or nothing to do with this. If the kid did not swing at the pitch, it would not be a strike.

Peace
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Would you call a ball on a batter that clearly bailed out on a curve ball just because they are kids? The age has little or nothing to do with this. If the kid did not swing at the pitch, it would not be a strike.

Peace
Jeff,

That's why I asked if the ball was coming straight at him. Not an illusion, right at him. If so, that's not a call I'm willing to make. There's a difference between being afraid of being hit and defending yourself against that inevitabiltiy.

Tim.
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 01:27am
Do not give a damn!!

Personally I would not care what the age of the players is. If the batter took a swipe at the ball and missed, it is a strike. If they do not want to get called for a strike, then do not strike at the ball. Just like I would call a foul ball if a batter ducked and the ball hit the bat.

Of course this is a judgment call, but I would not in the least hesitate to call a strike at all levels. The fact the coach used the "he was protecting himself" does not wash. The age of the players is relevant. There are 11 year olds that are perfectly capable of reacting appropriately to these types of situations.

Peace
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 05:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Was the pitch coming straight at him? If so I think we need to consider that this is just an 11 year old kid trying to protect himself. Yea, I know it could be considered as an attempt, but that's not a call I'm going to make on an 11 year old. Bigger boys, sure, but not in kiddie ball.

Tim.
Tim,

The kid bailed and took a chop swing (looked like a lumberjack splitting wood). Since the kid move straight back away from the plate and the swing was in the vicinity of the ball, I called it a strike. It was not a situation where the kid turned and brought the bat around with him. The swing, from my point of view, was to prevent the ball from hitting him, but with the intention of striking the ball.
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 06:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tim,

The kid bailed and took a chop swing (looked like a lumberjack splitting wood). Since the kid move straight back away from the plate and the swing was in the vicinity of the ball, I called it a strike. It was not a situation where the kid turned and brought the bat around with him. The swing, from my point of view, was to prevent the ball from hitting him, but with the intention of striking the ball.
I had it envisioned that he'd put the bat up in front of him as a sheild to protect himself.

Tim.
Old Fri May 11, 2007, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
with the intention of striking the ball.
That's all you need, and all you should tell the coach.