The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Would anyone issue a T if someone trying to save a ball from going OOB and throws it at the opponent? Would you issue it if you are pretty sure that it was done with some intent to hurt the opponent physically? If so, how sure would you have to be?
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Attempt to save the ball from going OOB? No T. Ever.

Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Let's say a blowout game and the guy throws it at the opponent's head. Still no T.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

How do you know intent?

The problem is that it is a legal tactic; bounce it off an oponent. Happens all the time, usually off of a leg. How do you know what the players intent was?

Mregor
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jking_94577
Would anyone issue a T if someone trying to save a ball from going OOB and throws it at the opponent? Would you issue it if you are pretty sure that it was done with some intent to hurt the opponent physically? If so, how sure would you have to be?
I'd have to see the exact play to call it, but the short answer is yes, if I was 100% sure that there was an intent by the thrower to injure the opponent, it would not only be a "T", but a flagrant "T" and the thrower would be ejected. Any time that you believe that the actions of a player are designed to deliberatley cause injury to an opponent, call the flagrant "T" and eject the offender.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jking_94577
Let's say a blowout game and the guy throws it at the opponent's head. Still no T.
It's a blowout and its that way because of work, hustle and diving for balls out of bounds, No T. Now if he's teetering on one foot and looking for someone to throw to and then decides to hit the guy in the head, well that's another story. He's probably ejected. I guess I can visualize both situations.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Something like this happened in an Iowa-Indiana game a few years back, but I can't remember who the thrower and throwee were. Also, it was on an OOB play underneath the basket where the count had reached about four. I also can't remember if the thrower threw it right at the other guy's nose or coin purse, but I do remember no technical was thrown, even though it seemed quite unsportsmanlike. Maybe one of the other folks in this here forum can remember the situation a little better...
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Unless you can prove that you're fully telepathic, you can't really call the T in this case.

And if you're fully telepathic, you must really have to restrain yourself from calling about 50 T's a game
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't want to do the write up if I called a flagrant on a play like that.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 06:18am
Official Forum Member

I called one in this type of situation. At the time, I felt that the player threw it purposely at the other player's face. In retrospect, I would not call the "t" if I had it to do over again. Looking at the tape, the "action" was not as cut and dried as it seemed at the time.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Something like this happened in an Iowa-Indiana game a few years back, but I can't remember who the thrower and throwee were. Also, it was on an OOB play underneath the basket where the count had reached about four. I also can't remember if the thrower threw it right at the other guy's nose or coin purse, but I do remember no technical was thrown, even though it seemed quite unsportsmanlike. Maybe one of the other folks in this here forum can remember the situation a little better...
Sorry, this is just part of the game. The count is at 4, he needs to get rid of the ball. You HAVE to throw it at a part of the opponent where it is likely to bounce off him and out of bounds. I've been the thrower and the throwee on a lot of these, and I'd be horrified if a ref called a T, regardless of where the ball was thrown, so long as there is a legitimate game rationale for having thrown the ball at the opponent.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hawkk
[B]
Quote:

Sorry, this is just part of the game. The count is at 4, he needs to get rid of the ball. You HAVE to throw it at a part of the opponent where it is likely to bounce off him and out of bounds. I've been the thrower and the throwee on a lot of these, and I'd be horrified if a ref called a T, regardless of where the ball was thrown, so long as there is a legitimate game rationale for having thrown the ball at the opponent.
Hogwash! Please give me the rationale for throwing at the face on an inbounds play.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 10:14am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Sorry, this is just part of the game. The count is at 4, he needs to get rid of the ball. You HAVE to throw it at a part of the opponent where it is likely to bounce off him and out of bounds. I've been the thrower and the throwee on a lot of these, and I'd be horrified if a ref called a T, regardless of where the ball was thrown, so long as there is a legitimate game rationale for having thrown the ball at the opponent. [/B][/QUOTE]I guess FED casebook play 10.3.8SitB really horrifies you then,eh?It specifically mentions a throw-in at 4 seconds possibly being called a T. The "legitimate game rationale" is always left up to the official on the spot who has to make the call. I don't think that we should be second-guessing any official that called a T under these circumstances. JMHO.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 10:38am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
If I recall, as an Iowa fan, Iowa's Chris Kingsbury was involved. In all likelihood, he either threw the "errant" pass, or had antagonized the Hoosier all night long. Chris was, shall we say, a hot head.

Adam
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 10:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by hawkk

Sorry, this is just part of the game. The count is at 4, he needs to get rid of the ball. You HAVE to throw it at a part of the opponent where it is likely to bounce off him and out of bounds. I've been the thrower and the throwee on a lot of these, and I'd be horrified if a ref called a T, regardless of where the ball was thrown, so long as there is a legitimate game rationale for having thrown the ball at the opponent. [/B]
I used to mak the same play. But here's the catch. I ALWAYS aimed for the feet. Besides avoiding the possibility of hurting someone, you have a better chance of success. Throw at the jewels, and he stands a fair chance of recovering the ball. Throw at the head, and you risk getting a T. Just throw the ball at the feet and we don't have to worry about it.
It's not rocket surgery. (^:

Adam