The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

This is what is meant by intent. Ed Hochuli in the 4th qtr of the Monday night game killed the play before it began, got on the microphone and said this. “There was no play. When I blew the whistle to start the clock, some of the players thought I was blowing the play dead, and took a knee. Therefore we had no play and it is still 4th down.”

This is not in the rules, but he knew it was a misunderstanding due to the circumstances and he took appropriate action. This is common sense that needs to be addressed sometimes in all of our games. It is similar to the referee not letting some high school kid who does not understand how the foul will be enforced say the wrong thing and then making him stick to it. Another situation is at the coin toss when one captain does not fully understand the options and wishes to kick both halves. I know they may want to, in some odd cases, but to make him stick to his first choice and not make sure he understands how everything works is correct by rule, but not by intent. Rules knowledge is important, but understanding how to imply them, and the intent in which they were written is what makes for the best officials.
Great piece of officiating by a great NFL referee!
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

You are correct. The problem is it takes many years for officials to grasp that concept. As a young official, one is taught that the rules are all important. Not much is said about the philosophy of the game. It takes years to learn what NOT TO call rather than what TO call. Similarly, it takes years to learn how to help players make decisions without telling them what to say.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Ed did the same exact thing last year in Philadelphia. He said something like "we were chopping in the ready and the players thought we were stopping play." Unfortunately, this is Philadelphia and the fans usually don't appreciate a courtesy (some mentality huh). Any way, I agreed with that Ed did in that situation and thought it was an excellent explanation.

But really, it's the TV guys that set that mentality. I taped the game and watched it when I got home. I believe it was last year's Divisional playoff against Green Bay. Troy Aikman responded by saying something like "say what?...what was that all about???" I don't know how a Super Bowl QB didn't even understand that. Then he attempts to critize one of the best referees to put on a striped shirt. Go figure.

More on TV - Did anyone hear Collinsworth on Sunday (Packers v. Vikings?) It came up at our officials meeting. Chris and Troy were critizing the wings in that game saying that they "make up" spots. They had circled his UPFIELD foot on the telestrator (sp?) and were totally screwing their version of the explanation up. Annoying!!!
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Madden has said similar things about spots for years with his "Left foot/right foot" comments.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
Ed did the same exact thing last year in Philadelphia. He said something like "we were chopping in the ready and the players thought we were stopping play." Unfortunately, this is Philadelphia and the fans usually don't appreciate a courtesy (some mentality huh). Any way, I agreed with that Ed did in that situation and thought it was an excellent explanation.
I thought of the "chopping in" comments right when Hochuli made his annoucement Monday night. If I remember correctly Hochuli said he was "chopping the ball into play," and while laughing about it, one of the announcers (I believe it was Joe Buck, but it may have been Aikman) said "apparently he was chopping something." I don't understand why they don't close their mouths before they really show how ignorant they are.
Old Wed Nov 17, 2004, 03:49pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
This is what is meant by intent. Ed Hochuli in the 4th qtr of the Monday night game killed the play before it began, got on the microphone and said this. “There was no play. When I blew the whistle to start the clock, some of the players thought I was blowing the play dead, and took a knee. Therefore we had no play and it is still 4th down.”

This is not in the rules, but he knew it was a misunderstanding due to the circumstances and he took appropriate action. This is common sense that needs to be addressed sometimes in all of our games. It is similar to the referee not letting some high school kid who does not understand how the foul will be enforced say the wrong thing and then making him stick to it. Another situation is at the coin toss when one captain does not fully understand the options and wishes to kick both halves. I know they may want to, in some odd cases, but to make him stick to his first choice and not make sure he understands how everything works is correct by rule, but not by intent. Rules knowledge is important, but understanding how to imply them, and the intent in which they were written is what makes for the best officials.
Great piece of officiating by a great NFL referee!
Ed is the best. He'll go down as the best Referee of his time. Guaranteed.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Ed rates right up there with Jerry Markbright.
Alexandria, LA
Louisiana NG
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

....and McElwee
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 11:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge

But really, it's the TV guys that set that mentality. I taped the game and watched it when I got home. I believe it was last year's Divisional playoff against Green Bay. Troy Aikman responded by saying something like "say what?...what was that all about???" I don't know how a Super Bowl QB didn't even understand that. Then he attempts to critize one of the best referees to put on a striped shirt. Go figure.

More on TV - Did anyone hear Collinsworth on Sunday (Packers v. Vikings?) It came up at our officials meeting. Chris and Troy were critizing the wings in that game saying that they "make up" spots. They had circled his UPFIELD foot on the telestrator (sp?) and were totally screwing their version of the explanation up. Annoying!!!
There is nothing wrong with the "mentality" of Philadelphia fans, just the idiots that always want to make something out of nothing.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chiefgil
Ed rates right up there with Jerry Markbright.
If you admire him so much you might want to learn how to spell his name - Jerry Markbriet.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2004, 09:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Keeping this fool in line.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Lyle
If you admire him so much you might want to learn how to spell his name - Jerry Markbriet.
If you have something to contribute, why not do so without being a *******.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Re: Keeping this fool in line.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Lyle
If you have something to contribute, why not do so without being a *******.

Peace
I second that...
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Well, actually, his name is Jerry Markbreit...